PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on a Youth Ministry Project

richdad
06-17-2004, 06:36 PM
am supervising a youth ministry program next week in Baltimore City. One of our projects is to install concrete pavers on a little park area that will be used for kids' summer programs. The area is concrete with remnants of a rubber coating that we can not remove. The playground manager wants us to install cobble pavers directly over the concrete. The area is approximately 22 x 22. I have been researching various installation methods from using paver cement to installing on a compacted sand base and sweeping with mason's sand. This is a project that we need to complete in 5 days with 5 kids and 1 adult. What installation method would you all recommend for this project?

Thanks in advance.

Richdad

D Felix
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Make sure that the base concrete has appropriate drainage. If there is not adequate drainage, forget about it. It will only cause problems later on down the road. If there is not adequate drainage, you need to completely remove the concrete, then install with a gravel base like normal.

I would suggest using sand as a leveling base, no more than 1 inch. 3/4 of an inch would be better. From there on out, it's like any other project, except the paver edging. For that I would use metal edging, attached tot he concrete with a PAT (powder actuated tool, maybe better known as a "Remington hammer").

With that many kids, good luck. You will be tripping over each other. It should be do-able, but don't screed out any more sand than you can lay pavers at a time.

I would not use masons sand to lock in the joints. I've seen too many problems caused by it, mostly due to the fact that it does not allow water to percolate down between the joints very well. Just use regular concrete sand.

Hope it helps. I'm sure that others will have other opinions!

Dan

chesie
06-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Man I don't know why you all always talk about the water percolating through the pavers. That is not the idea. Once pavers are compacted into bedding sand and joints swept, compacted and swept again you should not get any water throught the joints. Thus the reason for the pitch of the pavement.......to move the water across just like a solid pavement.

D Felix
06-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I realize that's not the idea. However, should you happen to get a low spot somewhere in the field (I've seen it happen many times), the water will just sit there if it can't get through the pavers.

Why do you think the sub-base needs to have pitch?

In this case, it should be a moot point if the concrete already has appropriate pitch.