PDA

View Full Version : Best turf growth regulater?

CharlieBingo
06-17-2004, 08:55 PM
I think a good PGR could really help with lessening my labor and increasind my prfits any suggestions or info? One that won't harm turf thanks in advance.

MrBarefoot
06-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Check out Primo Maxx

George777
06-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Primo is good, I like Embark for shrubs and turf. I use it on the edge. Reduces time on trimming. I get about 4-6 weeks out of one application. If your into just fert you could sell the service to homeowners. They would love to not have to cut the grass every week.

George777
06-17-2004, 09:53 PM
I forgot to mention I reduced one man buy using embark

CharlieBingo
06-17-2004, 10:58 PM
aRE THERE ANY pgr'S IN GRANULAR FORM?

Garden Panzer
06-17-2004, 11:56 PM
:cool:
All my stuff has been on PGR's for sometime....
can't speak enough @ the great work they do!
My turf program:
Proxy on April 15th
Again
2 or third week in Oct. depends on weather
It keeps my mowing WAY down....plus ya mix in some iron & one has a tight lawn!

Shrubs:
Atrimmec 1 week after pruning cycle....
Spring 2 oz/gal
Fall 1 oz/ gal

Can't speak enough GREAT things about Atrimmec!

If you're NOT on PGR'S....... you work too hard!

:)

LwnmwrMan22
06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Yesterday I spread Primo at a school complex I do with my PG Ultra. Went around all the fencelines, trees, anything that had to be trimmed.

I ran it at 1.3 oz / 1000. Basically fescue / rye grasses, I'll report next week again on how it turns out.

FERT-TEK
06-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I have couple of questions for the guys using it. I recently started looking for a good PGR product to use on residential lawns myself. So far I haven't found anything that will work in a permagreen ultra spreader. Just bought one with 50 hrs on it, still learning how to use it but eager to put it to work. If I am missing something let me know. If any of you permagreen owners have successfully found and used a product let me know.

1) Proxy by Bayer / Chipco seems to be the only one I found that might work but the label is calling for a rate of 5 oz/1000 sq ft and a water volume of .5 to 4 gallons of water/1000. The math for the dilution was easy although it is off the permagreen charts. The volume of water applied by a PG has me concerned. According to my supplier the PH for this product is really acidic and might burn out the lawn if not diluted properly. It might also be bad for the equipment. I also spoke to a Andersons rep and he said not to use their product (turf enhancer) in a PG because of the water volume issue listed above, any thoughts.
2) For the guys who have been successfully using it do you still go out and cut those lawns weekly or do you put fresh tire tracks in the lawn. I am looking to reduce my clippings not eliminate them.
3) What has happens if it is over-applied spray overlap etc.?

CharlieBingo
03-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Any PGR's in granular form?

cemars
03-25-2005, 06:48 PM

No granulars, there are very few PGR's on the market. Primo is king, it not only slows growth but improves the root mass of turf grass, thereby making it more drought tolerant and healthier. With PGR's like Embark, you need to add iron or nitrogen to help mask the discoloration, with Primo. color will actually improve without adding anything!

Garden Panzer
03-26-2005, 02:47 AM
You'll pay out the high knee for Primo-Maxx, it's why I use PROXY....works as good, close to same MOA, and costs MUCH, much less....keep the dough in your pocket instead of handing it away......
:waving:

cemars
03-26-2005, 04:06 PM
You'll pay out the high knee for Primo-Maxx, it's why I use PROXY....works as good, close to same MOA, and costs MUCH, much less....keep the dough in your pocket instead of handing it away......

It may work as good at controlling growth but you still have a reduction in appearance unless you add Iron. With Primo, color improves w/o iron or fert. No other PGR does this.

Garden Panzer
03-26-2005, 04:44 PM
That's where you are wrong...you listen to the snake oil salesman...

PROXY doesn't yellow, nor prune roots...

it increases inter-nodal properties for 6 weeks after application....at a fraction of the cost of PRIMO....

I do mix Fe with it, only reason is I run all lawns on IRON and nothing but until Memorial Day.....plus with the price of Fe...why not have a super spinach looking lawn?

I even have used it on newly seeded lawns, after a couple cuts...

The hormone, effecting the INTER=NODAL properties, causes the turfgrass to knit together faster, giving the appearence of a thicker lawn....it's a great tool...

All that said, the budget minded persons would be more so inclinded to purchase something that gives the same final result for a lower price....

cemars
03-26-2005, 05:00 PM
That's where you are wrong...you listen to the snake oil salesman...

PROXY doesn't yellow, nor prune roots...

it increases inter-nodal properties for 6 weeks after application....at a fraction of the cost of PRIMO....

I do mix Fe with it, only reason is I run all lawns on IRON and nothing but until Memorial Day.....plus with the price of Fe...why not have a super spinach looking lawn?

I even have used it on newly seeded lawns, after a couple cuts...

The hormone, effecting the INTER=NODAL properties, causes the turfgrass to knit together faster, giving the appearence of a thicker lawn....it's a great tool...

All that said, the budget minded persons would be more so inclinded to purchase something that gives the same final result for a lower price....

Trust me Panzer, I don't post on this site based on what I hear, only on what I have seen. I didn't say anything about root pruning, or lawn thickness, just about color. I have compared the two personally, but even if you don't believe it look at the trails comparing Primo and Proxy. Primo would not be one of the best selling PGR's if it's high price didn't bring some added benefits.

GroundKprs
03-26-2005, 06:25 PM
For us in the East, we have run all the snake oil salesmen out West. They only survive out there because some of them drive tanks.

I have seen all three classes of PGR as they came out. I have not done side-by-side comparisons myself, but I have seen them on university plots. Primo far outshines all PGRs of the older classes. You get what you pay for.

Garden Panzer
03-26-2005, 07:08 PM
yea, but grass is grass and on anything but a green you'll see NO difference between Primo and Proxy, as I have done side by side tests....when growing silly crops like grass, every cent counts towards the bottom line....
if both products effect internodal properties without discolorization, then why would one want to spend more for the same result?
:sleeping:

GroundKprs
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM
I accept what I see, and the data and science that educated researchers and teachers spend so much time to help us with. I don't see any "Garden Panzer" research filed in TGIF.

But it's all right for others to swallow what some anonymous yard boy says on the web. Lots of people out there trying to save a buck. No skin off my nose.

Williams Services
03-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Proxy isn't labelled for residential use. Commercial and golf courses only.

qps
03-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I accept what I see, and the data and science that educated researchers and teachers spend so much time to help us with. I don't see any "Garden Panzer" research filed in TGIF.

But it's all right for others to swallow what some anonymous yard boy says on the web. Lots of people out there trying to save a buck. No skin off my nose.

Anonymous yard boy! .....ouch ;)

cemars
03-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Proxy isn't labelled for residential use. Commercial and golf courses only.

Good point Williams, although we treat about about 3 hundred acres a year with PGR's and less than 5 are residential. I think it is a big potential market in some areas, particularly with a pre-stress conditioning product like Primo. I find that it only sells on high end properties though, usually to those who irrigate and want to maintain turf at peak condition all summer long.

Garden Panzer
03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Why would anyone want to treat anything BUT commercial sites? The grass blades feel HARD, it's not the kind of lawn you'll want to lounge on anyway...

BTW- your cute yardboy comment...do some research, and you'll see that I was one of the first people to discuss reg's on this site.....using one handle or another of course...

you can spend your money on what you want, I'm just trying to save you guys some dough$$$$$
it is, after all...why we do this!

:sleeping:

cemars
03-26-2005, 10:16 PM
...do some research, and you'll see that I was one of the first people to discuss reg's on this site.....using one handle or another of course... :sleeping:

Panzer, I did some research and saw some of your recent
post which included the topics of Judge & Cop Killing',. Best Tasting Pizza, Checking Salt & Pepper Shakers, and discussion on Tanning Beds. IMO, your not well, please forgive us for not giving much credence to your ramblings.

Williams Services
03-26-2005, 10:26 PM
I believe he's referring to his PR days ...

cemars
03-26-2005, 10:40 PM
I believe he's referring to his PR days ...

O.K., I did a powerreel search and I still maintain that he is not well.

Garden Panzer
03-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I would also say...that someone is not well only speaking of pesticides and the like.....life is about diversions!
Tottles!

Williams Services
03-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Indeed ... well, you know that we capitalists can't help ourselves. And as far as the turf being hard, C4 turf IS hard.

Garden Panzer
03-27-2005, 12:34 AM
just keep in mind that reg'd turf will feel, under the peak of ap, like a new jersey chick's hairsprayed hair....for real.
i wouldn't want to pay for that as a service at my house...office building is one thing as it gets little traffic....people's houses are different.....

:)

GroundKprs
03-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Now if I was to research a fool, wouldn't I be a bigger fool? After 5 years of watching someone's blather, I don't need research to know he posts only for his own satisfaction, and has no regard for standard scientific principles in turfgrass management. For those who want to learn, and who understand (or want to understand) what research really is:

2000 Plant Growth Regulator Study (http://turfgrass.hort.iastate.edu/pubs/turfrpt/2001/20_growthRegulator.html)

Evaluation of Proxy and Primo for Growth Reduction in Perennial Ryegrass (http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/crops/az1246/az12463c14.pdf)

Note the description of methods to set up legitimate experiments. These are the things to guide you in your choices. Whether you wind up using Proxy, Primo, some other PGR, or none at all, learn what they are really about. There is so much more out there than the rantings of a puffed up yard boy on the web.

Garden Panzer
03-27-2005, 10:34 AM
ruffles YOUR feathers....
you take yourself entirely too serious, and a silly crop such as grass, too...

Stonewall
04-01-2005, 11:05 PM
What about Primo on St. Augustine? How would it affect brown patch that is active or areas that had been active?

FERT-TEK
04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Yes, Andersons / Scotts Turf enhancer product is a PGR for turf.

Williams Services
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Sepro is also selling Cutless in a granular form now.