PDA

View Full Version : Proper size of Truck

BoHog1634
06-18-2004, 07:35 AM
I am currently on the lookout for a decent used truck that may be used for a future fertilizer and pesticide business. I am curious as to what type of truck is best. Basically, I would like to find out if a 1/2 ton is sufficient or if I would be better off with a 3/4 ton truck. I know a lot may go into this decision, but I would appreciate any feedback and opinions.

Thanks,
BoHog

ArizPestWeed
06-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Mine weighs 2.5 tons .
LOL

I drive F150 s , always have .

EJK2352
06-19-2004, 12:11 AM
I use a 1979 1 ton Ford flatbed for my fertilizer applications. I go to my suppliers and buy fertilizer by the pallet (1 ton). If you plan on doing any large scale application work, I'd recommend at least a 3/4 ton truck.

grassguy_
06-19-2004, 08:07 AM
I've got 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 tons, for operating efficiency and ability for handling weight and equipment well the 3/4's are excellent. Use to use the 1 tons but now only use them for hauling materials and aeration equipment. 1/2 tons are great for light duty , service calls, estimates and so far or small routes.

TSM
06-19-2004, 10:03 AM
my feeling is if you're going to have one truck...bigger is better. To buy a smaller truck like a 1/2 ton you will most likely be overloading it and its life may be cut shorter than you'd like.

also a bigger truck (3/4-1 ton) will give you the insentive to sell...if you know you have the proper tools you'll be more likely to take on more work?

Avery
06-19-2004, 04:51 PM
1/2 tons are good for grocery getters. If you are gonna work with it get 3/4 ton or better.

ArizPestWeed
06-19-2004, 06:42 PM
They are right
Go 3/4 ton .
A few more $ , but may come an handy .

I'm in pest control and 1/2 ton is all I need .

MrBarefoot
06-20-2004, 12:18 PM
I use a 3/4 ton van for my service vehicle. I like the enclosed tank and my fert and equipment stays dry when it rains.

It also has a class 3 hitch so I can mount a platform or tow a trailer if I need extra hauling capacity.

Ric
06-20-2004, 03:07 PM
IMHO anything less than a 3/4 ton is a car with more room to haul light stuff in. Isuzu Cab Over NPR to me is the perfect truck for work. They turn on a dime and can hold or haul more weight than a one ton. They get 15 MPG empty or full and insurance is about the same as a 3/4 ton. I also like the 25 MPG I get from a small compact support truck that is also my Grocery Getter.

BoHog1634
06-21-2004, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advice!! I was kinda leaning toward a 3/4 ton, and your replies confirm this.

Now, for the real important question.....which is better, Ford or Chevy????.......Just kidding.

Thanks again,
BoHog

BoHog1634
06-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Actually, I do have one more question.....What are your thoughts on a short bed or long bed??

Again, Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated!!

BoHog

Ric
06-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by BoHog1634
Actually, I do have one more question.....What are your thoughts on a short bed or long bed??

Again, Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated!!

BoHog

BoHog

Are using the truck for work or play. Short Bed have more sex appeal and higher ground clearance in the woods because of the shorter wheel base. Long beds can haul more volume.

BoHog1634
06-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Ric,
I would be using the truck for work more than play. But I will most likely be getting an extended cab to make it easier to haul the family around in if the need arises. Plus, I like having the extra room in the cab. So, with the extended cab, a long bed will make the truck that much longer.

I quess I am just wondering if I would regret it in the future, if I get a short bed, or is a short bed enough for the common fert and pest applicators' needs.

Thanks
BoHog

Ric
06-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BoHog1634
Ric,
I would be using the truck for work more than play. But I will most likely be getting an extended cab to make it easier to haul the family around in if the need arises. Plus, I like having the extra room in the cab. So, with the extended cab, a long bed will make the truck that much longer.

I quess I am just wondering if I would regret it in the future, if I get a short bed, or is a short bed enough for the common fert and pest applicators' needs.

Thanks
BoHog

BoHog

Either way you go you will curse. Short beds are never long enough and long beds are a bear to park. Now I buy trucks and run them into the ground. So I keep them for many many years. I would hate to have a truck that was too small for the job. I made a mistake and bought a brand new 3/4 ton light duty, back in 94. It now has one ton springs and has for many years. The bed is rusted out because it was used for spraying fertilizer. So I plan to put a flat bed on it. This truck no longer is used for spraying. The point I am trying to make is, If your business grows you will have need for more than one truck. Keep the one you are buying now after it is paid off. But I would buy the long bed for its large hauling volume. BTW I am a flat lander and always buy the smallest engine for better gas mileage. I also buy 3/4 ton because of bigger brakes for stopping power when pulling trailers. Buy one that will be nice enough to ride your family in style.

BoHog1634
06-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the replies!! Any other opinions on a short or long bed are appreciated!

Thanks again,
BoHog