PDA

View Full Version : Interlocking Block Wall 80 X 4 ??$$$

jccordes2
06-18-2004, 10:49 AM
I put a bid in on a block retaining wall, I charged $10 a Square foot plus extra for top caps. the blocks are 12'' interlocking blocks.
bid consists of (1) 80x4 wall and (2) 20X2 walls

does price per square foot sound about right, includes labor and materials??

to low? high?

I have a an old friend who does concrete and block work fulltime.
we bid $5080 for the job, my friend bills out $60 an hour for the bobcat when running, minus the materials, we split the rest.

how does this sound??

Jeff

Agricare1
06-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Thats way to cheap. I am a distributor of Versa-Lok retaining wall systems here in Connecticut and my COST is $4.77 per SQ. FT just for the blocks, then you have to factor in the COST of the crushed stone, stone dust, any backfill material and drain pipes, and then theres labor to prep the area and install the blocks. $20.00 per Sq.Ft. is about average in our area for a standard block wall.

BIG AL

GreenMonster
06-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Based on the cost of that particular block, I'd say your price is about half way there:(

jccordes2
06-18-2004, 11:33 AM
My friend did mention average in our area was between $15 to $20 a SQ FT. He thought by bidding it low it would help me get the rest of the landscaping work their to?
I saw a thread above at $28 sq ft. but that included the back fill to raise the elevation. we have hardly any back fill as the evlevation is already there

Agricare1
06-18-2004, 11:53 AM
You make a good point about keeping price low to get other work, i have done that several times with Hydro-seeding for a large contractor in our area just to get all of his work, however you don't want to work for nothing. What is your actual cost for materials? If you can do the job correctly at that low price and you are going to warranty your workmanship just be sure that you make enough for the headaches that may come later. 80 FT is not a small wall by any means and the time that it may take you just to get the ground level for all of that 80 feet is going to take up some time. I just don't believe in working for free.
If you have no overhead, IE: payroll , insurance, taxes, ETC. than go for it but when you have all those things it's hard to do a job for that little profit.

jccordes2
06-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Agicare1

Actually there is no excavation needed, or very little, when the home was built last year they elevated the back of the home and back filled leaving a perfect slope for a wall and is already level to a certain point, of course the basefill will fill in.

NNJLandman
06-18-2004, 12:17 PM
$10.00 per sqft....you wanna come down here in subcontract heh, way to cheap try like $20-25 per sqft. So i'm thinking like $8000 just for wall installation.

Jeff

steve in Pa.
06-18-2004, 10:58 PM
that is way too cheappppppppp!! around here we get anywhere from 17-25 dollars a sq ft.

D Felix
06-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Actually there is no excavation needed
So you are saying that they were nice and thought ahead and went ahead and dug out a base trench? Somehow I doubt that.

A 4' high wall probably will not be a free-standing wall. My guess is that installation specs from any block manufacturer state that for a wall that high, you will need geogrid. Probably just one layer.

And a 4' high wall, above grade, will mean around a 5' overall hieght, by the time you bury the first course.

Sounds like somebody (or somebody's), don't know what they are getting into on this. I hate talking $$$ here, but it's safe to say that the price you stated is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too low! We would have been looking at that amount (maybe more) for just the labor end of it, excluding materials, tax and equipment!

Dan

landscapingpoolguy
06-20-2004, 01:11 PM
$12 a sq ft plus the cost of the stone, You should be more around 8 - 9k

Chuck

LawnsRUsInc.
06-20-2004, 05:05 PM
We are all certified and attend classes to keep on the top page. $10 is like a 1/3 to what we charge here. 2002 was our first year building retaining walls and at $28-$30 sqft we built 22 walls with no probelm and with walls you get so many referals. Also why bid cheap to get all the work tell the owner that if you bid on everything you can give him a better price. But what do i know.

Jason

landscapingpoolguy
06-20-2004, 10:59 PM
depends on who yur building for and what becomes materials/overhead/proft....larger jobs typically would be down at materials/ labor/machinery/profit......the price per sq ft changes then

Diveguy
06-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Jeff,

>> I put a bid in on a block retaining wall, I charged $10 a Square foot plus extra for top caps. the blocks are 12'' interlocking blocks. bid consists of (1) 80x4 wall and (2) 20X2 walls does price per square foot sound about right, includes labor and materials?? <<

One word for you: SOLD! I was a grunt for a couple of summers and that was a few years ago ..... they were getting $20/sq/ft for manufactured block walls and over $30 for dry stack.

I need to have a terrace done in my new yard and the wife wants it done this century .... so I'll need to contract this out ... so when can you start?

:)

Bob - Md.

jccordes2
06-30-2004, 10:11 AM
LOL

Thanks Bob, you were right!! they jumped on our bid. I look at it as a learing curve. I get to work on it with a freind who installs these monthly, and learn correct installation and obviously learn to charge more $$ per square feet. I should have asked you guys before I bid!!
Oh well, it's for a co-worker and I got the landscape jobs along with the wall. I'm not fulltime yet, so I won't be going hungry over this!!

P.S

MD is a little far from MN

thanks