PDA

View Full Version : should I use any chemicals an this new lawn?

blackthumb
06-18-2004, 12:04 PM
i had a thread going in the homeower assistance forum. I didn't think I could post over here but someone said I should.

anyways.. if you need to move the thread go ahead.

Here's my problem. We layed down new sod in our yard on Monday before last (6/7) and was told to water it a lot and we did. I watered it for about 4 hours a day for a week until I went back there and noticed just how wet it was, with mushrooms growning everywhere and the grass closest to the ground looked like it was rotting.

I haven't turned on the sprinklers now for 3 days and the grass has not sprung back yet. The mushrooms are still there and still growing more.

I was told the grass was already treated with fertilizer (i forget which numbers he said ?-40-? sorry)

should I use a fertilizer, fungicide or something else on this now?

here are some pics I took of it last night just before the sun set.

(PICTURES) (http://gallery.littledeath.net/main.php/view/lawn/trouble/)

blackthumb
06-18-2004, 12:44 PM
I just did a little searching in the archives and read some info on mushrooms. I guess it's from overwatering, and/or dead roots. (i had laready removed all woodchips and all weeds so there was no visible dead matter (or live for that matter) on the ground before the sod was put in. so if there was any dead matter, it may have been in the form of roots under ground.

Before I removed the weeds, I used Scotts® Lawn Pro Weed and Feed for St. Augustinegrass . this was in march 17 this year. nothing in the way of fertizer or chemicals (other than roundup) since then.

I didn't put any additional soils down. The soil there is very very sandy and loose.

that's about all I can add.

I won't water it again unless it's dry again. I just wonder if I should use some chemical now or just let it be.

tia for any advice in that matter. :)

Green Dreams
06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
I took a look... Seems okay for now. Don't concern yourself with the 'shrooms. They hurt nothing. Pull on some areas of your sod. Does it pull right up? Or does it resist like the roots are taking hold? If they are taking hold, you are doing okay. Water deeply when you do have to and do so in the AM. I would also begin mowing if its growing. Don't cut off more than a third at a time though. And lay off the fert for now....Drew

blackthumb
06-19-2004, 08:29 AM
thanks for anwering me!

yes, i pulled on a couple small corners and the roots are growing into the ground. I will keep the faith!