PDA

View Full Version : leveling backyard

ssroseberry
06-18-2004, 01:06 PM
I have a client with a very uneven bermuda grass backyard. He wants it leveled out. Can I bring in fill dirt level it out and throw bermuda seed back out on it?

NickN
06-18-2004, 01:25 PM
How unlevel is it?Is it bumpy or are there large depressions in it?
If it's just bumpy,throw down some sand.No need for the seed as the bermuda will grow towards the sand.

ssroseberry
06-18-2004, 05:54 PM
It is real bumpy some small depressions

Ric
06-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ssroseberry
It is real bumpy some small depressions

ssroseberry

I think what Nick is trying to tell you is a good top dressing with sand will level the yard without the need for seeding. Now you might want to do this several times weeks apart to allow it to work in and level out.

bnl
06-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, I have 2 situations pretty similar to the one he has inquired about. 1 is Depressions and some @5' x 10' bare spots in an otherwise GREAT stand of Centipede. The other is just large bare spots, maybe about 10 of them, about 10' x 10' on a light slope with another good Centipede Turf (Rain runoff causing the bare spots in this case). How would you guys handle that? In the second situation,The homeowner wants the slope to be leveled off where the ridges have formed....so I am going to be hauling something in to smooth out the slope, trying to get it from step-like levels back to a smooth, light slope. Would you use a sandy topsoil leveled out and re-seeded on this situation? And, would you use sand to repair situation 1's Centipede Gaps?

Thanks for your advice.

NickN
06-18-2004, 11:14 PM
bnl,
Yes go with the sand.Sand works wonders with bermuda and centipede.They'll actually grow towards the sand and cover it.
Found this out the hard way,years ago when I decided to use sand in a horseshoe pit surrounded by bermuda :D

coalburner
06-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Instead of sand I prefer rock dust. It is high in PH and Bermuda just loves it. It is gray in color and spreds as well as sand.

bnl
06-20-2004, 01:16 AM
NickN,
Thanks, I will use the sand as suggested. Do you think it will hold up on this slight slope where washing has been the problem before, or will i need to use a mixture of anything with it to hold it? I know it is hard for you to answer without actually seeing the situation, but it is right off the crest of the yard, and the water travels it more-so than the rest of the yard.

NickN
06-21-2004, 08:52 AM
It should do fine.Put down a good bit of sand.Around 1 inch deep and lightly rake to smooth it out.If you don't put it down thick enough,it will dissolve from the rain.

ssroseberry
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
I think I will go with the sand. I like the idea of letting it settle then adding more. Thanks

blafleur
06-26-2004, 12:39 AM
One big problem with buying just regular old sand is you dont know what quality you'll get for growing. I can almost guarantee you plenty of nutgrass. I use a topsoil/compost mix that you can get at Living Earth Technology (4 locations in Dallas area), or at Soil Building Systems in NW Dallas. SBS are good people to deal with. Soil mixes from either place are weed free (dont know how they do it).

Bryan