PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation - is it worth it?

Summett
06-18-2004, 01:10 PM
I know, stupid question on a lawn website. :o But, i'm asking for my wife...hehe. I personally would love to have a sprinkler system for our yard because i'm an amature lawn/outside guy, but of course she questions whether or not it is worth it to put one in. After all "it's just watering the lawn...and then you have to cut it!".... in her opinion.

But my real question is does anyone know that if it helps with the value of the house when you sell. I realize that it makes the lawn nicer and appearance helps with the sale of a home, but does the fact that you have a sprinkler system make the value of your home go up?

We have about 2/3 an acre and wondering if the cost of putting one in is worth it (to debate w/ my wife) ;)

Thanks for the opinions.

Mark

JeffY
06-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Putting in a sprinkler system is a good investment for the house. You're improving the land and increasing the value of the house. In my opinion, most homes that have sprinkler systems are more sought after than ones that do not. And a growing number of new houses being installed are coming with systems. Just goes to show that people are seeing sprinkler systems as a worthy investment to increase the value and sale of their house.

Green Pastures
06-18-2004, 06:19 PM
It does add value to your home.

DGI
06-19-2004, 07:09 AM
The question is more complicated than simply asking "does it add value to my home." Do houses in your area have landscaping? Do they have irrigation systems? If it's the norm, then it certainly adds its respective value and then some. If it's out of place, the value added won't be all that great.

It's really about who will be buying the home.

Instant Rain
07-02-2004, 02:45 PM
the biggest question you should ask your self is how much is your own time worth. a good system will last the rest of your life if is installed right. it can apply water in a precise maner durring the coolest hours to minimize water loss through evaporation. a good system will run ten years before it needs any work. ten years is alot of time holding a water hose or moving a kids toy around.

Hydro
07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
In my area, the cost of a sprinller is added directly to the cost of a home. Dollar for dollar. This is per the local real estate agents.

sildoc
07-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Yes! To cover 2/3 of an acre and water properly with a hose and sprinkler would take you roughly 3 hours per week. Add that up and see if it is worth it. Not to mention the amount of money people put into their yards, I.e. lawns, shrubs, flowers and trees, Why would you not. I.e. if you were to loose a row of 5 year old shrubs that had been manicured for those five years, what is the cost to replace at value lost? People are busy and watering a lawn that is not automated is not very apitizing to a new home buyer. Especially when Most home buyers of nicer homes are in their 40's and older.

JimLewis
07-23-2004, 02:43 AM
A nice landscape is one of the best ways to add value to your home.

Read This Article (http://www.smartmoney.com/mag/index.cfm?story=march03-cover)

And it's very difficult to have a picture perfect landscape without a custom irrigation system.

hoyboy
07-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Yes, it's worth it.

plowman
08-08-2004, 03:16 PM
We do irrigation in the twin cities metro area. Just got done putting a system in for a guy selling his house in Becker. The realtor told him to put it in.. Hope that helps. If you want a bid email me at Topnotchlawncare@earthlink.com

timturf
08-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't think you would need it much in your area