PDA

View Full Version : how many plants???

rmartin
06-18-2004, 03:00 PM
I am planting a 50' long flower bed. split in half by a set of front stairs. I need to know how many plants per side. I want to leave room for these to grow. I was told between 18''-24'' between plants. That seems a little high. Doing that only gives me approx 6 plants per side..... any suggestions?????

Also, I am putting in Holly shrubs, hosta, astilbe, acontium, barbarry. It is a shady area. do these plants sound good?

Loganwildman
06-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Well, you didn't say how deep your bed is, so it's difficult to answer your question. I can say that with hosta's, 18-24" is fine, they will grow and fill in the space.

NCSULandscaper
06-18-2004, 05:19 PM
You also need to tell exactly what kind of hollies you are using, there are tons of varieties out there with lots of growth patterns.

rmartin
06-18-2004, 05:49 PM
depth wise I am looking at 2.5-3'. My plant selections are dwarf japanese holly, sky pencil holly, and red barberry,

Ice_Gargoylle
06-18-2004, 06:27 PM
boxwood's are the only way to go, barberry would work, but they just dont look that good. boxwood cost , making you money. since you arent putting perennials in, boxwood will fill in AND be very easy to maintain--shearing.

so beds are 2.5-3' deep. you always have tot think in mature size how far you should plant apart. so you figure you wanna get a good 2' width outa these things idealy. i would get 15-18" boxwood, or 5gal, spaced at no less than 24" and no more than 30"

polecat63
06-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Damn, boxwoods are ugly, and boring. No offense Ice. Why on earth would you even bother to make a three foot deep bed? Almost anything you plant there will grow outside of the bed in a very short time. Jusy my opinion of course, but if you make the bed deeper there are many more plants that you can use and you can fill in with perenials or annuals.

D Felix
06-20-2004, 10:48 AM
You don't want to use red barberries in the shade. They need sunlight to maintain the red color, otherwise they will turn to green.

I hate the d*mn things as it is, no need to plant more of them.

Make the bed a little bigger, plant some more shrubs, and fill it with perennials.

Dan

rmartin
06-22-2004, 04:38 PM
i cant make the bed bigger. There is a sidewalk on one side and a house on the other.........

polecat63
06-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Just upsale a nice brick walkway and rip that sidewalk out!:D Choose plants that have an upright growth pattern, something like Nandina. Although I'm not sure how they do n your area. Maybe Deutzia, Caryopteris, Osmanthus (might be a little rough on a walkway), Pieris, or maybe a Soft Touch Holy, kinda looks like a boxwood with a little more peraonality.

polecat63
06-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Oh, and Hostas are agood idea. MAybe you can get a few different varieties and colors and make 'em real perty like.:)