PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Barrier

BareFootLawn
06-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Here's what I did today.
Mowed three properties in the morning, then went and sprayed three more properties that I have (sold them Mosquito Spray Program).
I'm using a solo backpack sprayer (4 gal, Handle Pump) that's dedicated to Weed Barrier, nothing else.
Mixing 6oz Weed Barrier / 6 oz canola oil / 1 oz palmolive soap with 4 gallons of water. Covers roughly 1 gal / 2,500 sq/ft (I know... I'm going a little stronger than recommended).
Charged all 3 properties $42.00 (roughly $10.50 gal) with follow up spray in 2 weeks for $36.00 and monthly spray after that for $36.00. Took me 30 minutes or less on all three lawns, plus mixing for the next one.
Weed Barrier - $107 (shipping included)
Canola Oil & Palmolive - $5
Water - No one's charged me yet.
84 gallons of mix = roughly $775 or 21 treatments of 10,000 sq/ft
I sprayed my yard and one of my neighbors yard last week (neighbor lives on a river). Mowed both properties this week and no mosquitos on me at all. Ate dinner on my porch tonight, no mosquitos, went next door and they swamped me.
Seems to be working well, we'll see if I have any callbacks next week.

Green Care
06-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Keep up posted on this one they eat me alive even when i'm in the garage.

BareFootLawn
06-18-2004, 10:37 PM
I sprayed around door frames, under decks, and on patios.

Green Dreams
06-19-2004, 04:05 PM
weed barrier? You mean mosquito barrier right?

BareFootLawn
06-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Yes... it was a long day. Must have inhaled some of it!
Just contracted to spray for a wedding on Saturday of next week.
$240

cenlo
06-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Mixing 6oz Weed Barrier / 6 oz canola oil / 1 oz palmolive soap with 4 gallons of water. Covers roughly 1 gal / 2,500 sq/ft (I know... I'm going a little stronger than recommended).

I just sprayed the product in my area and had very poor results. I used the same mixture as above but stronger. (I used 3 gallons of water instead of 4) It had no effect. I just mixed 3 gallons again but this time with 18 oz or "garlic juice". ( I will let you know what happens)

BareFootLawn
06-22-2004, 11:35 PM
How long did you wait to see the "results"? Recommended wait is 24 hrs.
What type of spray nozzle?
You need 350-400 microns which is a heavy mist. Not droplets.
I would be skeptical if I had not witnessed the results first hand in my own yard. I have several customers that want to get on a regular spraying program.

cenlo
06-23-2004, 07:54 AM
How long did you wait to see the "results"? Recommended wait is 24 hrs.

Same place was prayed over a 2-3 day period. I recieved some info recently from my supplier, he said that the garlic won't work in areas which are heavily infested.

You need 350-400 microns which is a heavy mist. Not droplets.

I use the standard nozzel from a backpack sprayer and use a fairly heavey mist. Why would droplets affect the product?

BareFootLawn
06-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by cenlo
I use the standard nozzel from a backpack sprayer and use a fairly heavey mist. Why would droplets affect the product?
The droplets have to "touch" the entire area and the mosquito if you want a "contact" kill. Yes, this will kill mosquitos.

Also, as far as "heavily" infested. I'm spraying properties that are on the river here in Sheboygan. I've also sprayed properties with standing (not running) water in the backyard. Seems to be working great. We did a test the other night in our backyard. Sat on deck and ate, no mosquitos. Went into neighbors yard, mosquitos.

Maybe your mosquitos like garlic?

Green Dreams
06-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Anymore updates barefoot? How's it working for ya?

BareFootLawn
06-28-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm having very good success with it. I've sprayed for two weddings, have sprayed about a dozen customers (@ 36.99 / 10,000 sq/ft) and have three customers that I have on a "spray schedule".
Initial Spray
Follow Up 14 - 17 days
Then once a month

Haven't had one call back or complaint yet.

It was great to get the weddings. Both of them were out in the country and I sprayed 12 gallons for one, 14 for the other. I charge by the gallon for large areas ($10 / gal) and both of them took about an hour and a half to spray.

Turf Medic
06-28-2004, 07:43 PM
I read on their web site that the mosquito barrier will also repel ducks and geese. Do you have any properties that are adjacent to water and have had problems with water fowl in the past?

DiscoveryLawn
06-29-2004, 08:30 AM
Turf Medic,
I have a property with geese I am trying it on later this week. I will let you know how it works.

David

Turf Medic
06-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Might take more than one application, I was re-reading MB's website today, they are recomending that you treat, treat a second time 7 days later and then every 2 to 3 weeks. If I am reading the information correctly the product builds up in the vegetation and makes it taste bad to water fowl.

DiscoveryLawn
06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the tip Turf Medic. I must have missed that. Looks like I need to re-read their info as well.

David