PDA

View Full Version : powerstroke fuel mileage

draftlawncare
06-18-2004, 10:09 PM
i am looking to buy a used powerstroke 2002 f 250 4x4 a friend of mine told me that the powerstroke dont get very good fuel mileage he said around 11-13 mpg does anybody if this sounds right? Also is there a way to get more power from the powerstroke using computer chips and do they really work i also tested a dodge cummins that truck will run circiles around the ford

Avery
06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
That is about right for the Ford. Depends on the gears and where ya live too. Diesels (any brand) respond to chips much better than gas engines. For about $700 you can add 100 hp and 150 ft/lbs of torque. You have tried two trucks...now go try the best. Duramax!

draftlawncare
06-18-2004, 10:24 PM
it would be pretty hard to beat that dodge, that thing is a work horse i could not believe the difference in hp between the dodge and ford i had my brother inlaw with me while driving the dodge and ford he is a die hard ford man and he told me to get the dodge, that truck was awsome

Avery
06-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Like I said...try the Chevy. I have driven all three and have owned Ford and Chevy. Too many problems with Dodge for them to even be considered.

BrianK10
06-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Avery
...now go try the best. Duramax!

Amen to that!

Grassmechanic
06-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Stick with Cummins. Duramax also have their share of problems - mainly head gaskets.

Green Pastures
06-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Here we go again.

Just buy what body style you like and maintain the darn thing properly.

They're all (Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet) 6 of one and half dozen of another.

Woody82986
06-19-2004, 04:00 PM
I agree with green pastures. Just buy the one that looks the best to you. They all have strong points and weak points, and they normally even themselves out. The only thing that is really different is the body style and interior features. I don't like the Ford interiors on the super duty's and I don't like the interior of the Chevy's so I would go with the Dodge Heavy Duty.

draftlawncare
06-19-2004, 04:23 PM
I WAS NOT ASKING WHAT TRUCK IS BETTER LOOKING i wanted to know about the mpg and if the high performance chips really worked on the powerstrokes

Avery
06-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Well to answer that mgp on the Powerstroke will always suck. But yes chips do work with it.

Woody82986
06-19-2004, 04:49 PM
My friend gets 15 pulling a 16 foot trailer with a ZTR and misc. oher tools with his 7.3 powerstroke.

Green Pastures
06-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by draftlawncare
I WAS NOT ASKING WHAT TRUCK IS BETTER LOOKING i wanted to know about the mpg and if the high performance chips really worked on the powerstrokes

I was not answering your question on mileage, I was commenting on the other guy's post's.

Pardon me for hijacking your thread but I'm a little tired of all the bickering over brands on this site.

Buy what you like, can afford and have a dealer close by for.

MOST brand names are 6 of one, half dozen of another.

What's the best mower, blade, edger, truck, trailer, blower????

The one that is in your hand and happens to be working at this moment, that's which one.

I need a vacation..........

jwholden
06-19-2004, 06:43 PM
My 02 Dodge cummins with a 4.10 rear averages 14mpg when empty.

wriken
06-19-2004, 07:26 PM
My 02 powerstroker, 3:73, empty gets about 19 mpg, as where my 95 dually. with 4:10 gears, empty 15 mpg
I have a very heavy foot though, especially on the 02, programed and no muffler on it, like to hear it.

Gilla Gorilla
06-19-2004, 09:14 PM
I have driven a F350 SRW 7.3 PS with a 78 horsepower chip
from Diablosport.com

You can notice the difference within 50 ft of accelerating from a stop. The shifts are so much firmer, generally get 2 to 4 mpg increase. The thing that surprised myself and two passangers was when I was coasting at 20mph and floored it, the rear wheels broke loose and smoked the hell out of the tires.

When I am able to buy a 7.3 PS later this summer or fall the first thing that I plan to do is put the chip in it. Man is it a heck of a difference even in just everyday driving.

Just be advised that if you do put a chip in it that any dealer that you take that truck into for a driveability issue can void your
power train warranty rite there on the spot. I have seen it done to a couple of mustangs and Lightnings at the dealership that I used to work for in service. It is all a judgement call on the management though.

Blades of Steel
06-19-2004, 09:25 PM
My new 03 6 liter sucks gas like a Hoover. However, if you need to pull it, push it, yank it or anything else. It's as good as it gets.

Tim

draftlawncare
06-19-2004, 09:54 PM
thanks gilla thats the kinda of info i was after i still would like some real #s on fuel mileage on the powerstrokes with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears

draftlawncare
06-19-2004, 10:04 PM
thanks everybody for the info i think i might get this truck its just a little underpowered i had a chip in a 5.0 stang before and it was a waste of money i didnt want to buy 1 for the powerstroke and have the same results

JohnK
06-19-2004, 10:21 PM
They're all (Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet) 6 of one and half dozen of another.

Doesn't sound like that's true if the Ford only gets 11-13 mpg. I know people with both the Cummins and Duramax, they both get 20+ on the highway in 1 ton 4x4's.

I've only driven one vehicle with the Powerstroke and that was an Excursion. It was just about the slowest thing I've ever driven. It had the acceleration of a 25' U-Haul. Way slower than the Dodge or Chevy I've driven.

To bad the Super Duty has the best looks among the big three. :)

Avery
06-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by JohnK
Doesn't sound like that's true if the Ford only gets 11-13 mpg. I know people with both the Cummins and Duramax, they both get 20+ on the highway in 1 ton 4x4's.

I've only driven one vehicle with the Powerstroke and that was an Excursion. It was just about the slowest thing I've ever driven. It had the acceleration of a 25' U-Haul. Way slower than the Dodge or Chevy I've driven.

To bad the Super Duty has the best looks among the big three. :)

That is what pisses the Ford people off. Chevy and Dodge will both get better mileage than the Ford and both offer better performance. Simple fact, not opinion. And before anyone goes quoting spec sheets I do not drive or work spec sheets. I work in the real world. Test drive all three then decide which is better for you.

Tevi
06-20-2004, 06:07 AM
I've had a chip in my truck from day one.I now have 201k on the old 99.I've upgraded my chip 3 times.The problem is when you start tweaking it you run it harder cause it's fun.I reccomend an aftermarket exhaust/chip/amsoil air filter/gauge package.If you you want to spend some real extra money get a ball bearing turbo and a Brians transmission.My mileage ranges anywhere from 12 to 17 depending on the load

Randy J
06-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Realistically you should get mid to upper teens w/ a 3:73 and 6 speed. Maybe a little higher, maybe not.
As for the chip, earlier posts are correct, diesels are easy to make performance mods to, and almost any performance mod will increase the mileage (as long as you can keep your foot out of it). The computer is well worth the money on any of the big 3 diesels. Just be sure that you don't exceed the capabilities of the rest of the drive train. I'm personally not a Ford man, but if that's what you like it should do you well. If you're looking at a used one, be sure to check the glow plugs/relay, and make sure it doesn't have the dual mass flywheel (I'm not sure what years they used those other than '97, but they were junk).
Enjoy the new truck - once you finally get it!

draftlawncare
06-20-2004, 08:41 AM
i think i could live with 12-17 mpg since i am only getting 9 -10 now still stuck between which truck to get dodge or ford that dodge runs like a mo- fo and thats coming from a ford man

Randy J
06-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Well, my personal opinion is get the Dodge - and I've owned both Ford & a Dodge. Both Ford & GM are diesels that are tuned more like a gas engine - they tend to have torque at higher RPM's vs. the Dodge's/Cummins flatter torque curve. And torque is what's going to get the work done for you - the more torque the lower in the RPM curve, the better. I won't dispute both Ford & GM being fine trucks, but for me, the more "big-truck" like diesel engine in the Dodge is where it's at. I would recommend staying away from the automatic in any of them - unless you go with a new Dodge (not sure about the new Ford or GM/Allison trannys). They have a harder time with all the torque, and they are expensive to repair. Plus you'll get better mileage out of the manual. You should see 17mpg+ easy in the Dodge without a trailer, at least 12 - 14 w/ a trailer.

Randy

Tevi
06-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I own a Dodge/GMC/Ford.The Ford has held up alot better.I'm talking interior/door latches etc.My Ford is also more comfortable.Ford also sells twice as many diesels as everyone else.That says alot.Other trucks may run like a beaten dag but they won't hold up in the long run.My truck has been run hard and fast for over 200k and still looks and runs pretty good.The problem I had with Dodge is no 4 door and it's to noisy.I love the sound but over aperiod of time it wears on you.

A+ Excavation
06-25-2004, 11:30 PM
My 95 powerstroke F450 with 219k miles, 4:88s, all stock and original, auto tranny pulling 10,000lbs everyday gets 12mpg, in the mountains, and I can buy parts cheap all day, if I needed them.

bwallen149
06-27-2004, 10:12 AM
2000, f250, extended cab, short bed, auto, 3.73. 19mpg empty on the highway, about 17mpg around town, 14.9 on a recent fishing trip pulling my 4500lbs boat. Gearing make a big difference. All superduty duallies have 4.10 they wont due quit as well. Yes, all the big three will respond to chips/tuners very well. Really the only thing that limits power is you wallet. If you chip it make sure you have gauges, especially an egt gauge. Bad things happen when you get over 1300 deg. pre-turbo.

blafleur
06-27-2004, 04:32 PM
To consider the differences in each, you need to take into consideration the year. Each one seems to have different problems each year.

The older Ford 7.3 seemed to be a good engine but those models had tranny and injector problems with hp mods(chips). The Ford 6.0 has really been a disaster for them initially. Havent heard if they have the bugs worked out yet. Dodge had problems with their auto trannies in the pre '03 models, and have improved it vastly in their 03 and 04 models, the 6 speed Dodges have always been awsome. I have been hearing some complaints from the 03 and 04 chevy injectors. Dodge 04.5 (the 600hp model) had some initial mpg problems that they are supposed to have fixed(??). So as you can see, they all have different problems.

This info I got mostly from my coworker who also has a diesel performance shop, and from the diesel web sites. I recommend checking these sites out, you can get some very detailed and expert advise on them.

I personally have an 02 dodge 5 speed and love it, with no mods I get 19-21 mpg empty and more power than I need. My only regret is not getting the 6 speed and the 4 wheel drive.

Good luck,
Bryan

draftlawncare
06-27-2004, 09:51 PM
i am not seeing anywhere near 14-19 mpg on my 02 powerstoke 6speed 4x4 ext cab this truck is a hog only pulling arond 2000lbs anybody know what size fuel tank the 02 model has? its a single tank ,also anybody have any tricks to get more mpg out of these trucks oh btw i went with the powerstroke, the dodge had some transmission noise to bad though that truck runs balls out i liked the cummings but not enough to buy a dodge to get one

perfectlawncare
06-27-2004, 10:17 PM
I have owned all three types of Diesels. I like the Dodge Cummins Diesel. I have 2 right now and 1 has over 630k and still gets around 22mpg. Dodge seems to get better all around fuel mileage plus they are only an Inline 6 cylinder which makes it have alot of low end torque. If you buy a dodge I would look at a 5spd or 6 spd I have had alot of trouble with the Automatics. You can buy a superchips Micro tunner for all 3 brands and yes they really do make a big diffrence. They start around $300 and the best place to buy them I think is Ebay.

Hope this helps,

Jason

www.perfectlawncare.tk

perfectlawncare
06-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Try a K&N airfilter plus the Micro Tuner from super chips. It will run like a scalded ape plus give you alittle better fuel milage if you keep your foot out of it. Any questions you might have about your truck you might want to go on www.Piersdiesel.com

Good luck,

Jason

Tevi
06-28-2004, 07:28 AM
A 02 tank should be 38gal.Better mileage should come from an Amsoil air filter bigger exhaust switching to synthetic in everything and a chip.Check out www.thedieselstop.com

Scotlawncare
06-29-2004, 11:47 AM
My 03 6.0 Crew Cab F250 4x4 got 19mpg on the road with just 4k miles on it. Don't tell me that ford's fuel mileage sucks compaired to chevy or dodge. They are ALL about the same. You dog it, the mileage sucks. you are easy on it, it's better. you take a 4x4, raise it up and put larger tires on it, fuel mileage sucks. you pull a trailer, it will go down too. right now I'm estimating about 13-15 in the city with mine. I have 35" tires now and my spedo is a little off. 4mph at 70 to be exact.

Now the 7.3 will get good fuel mileage too. I've heard of 22-23 on the road in a CREW CAB 4x4.

It all goes down to what was said eariler. find a year model where NO Mfg had a problem with their diesel motor and pick what body you want. They all pull hard and will last IF you take care of it.

Chips will help alot. some motors respond better than others. my 6.0 responds to chips better than the 7.3 ever thought of. Stock i can beat a slightly chiped 7.3. Check out Edge chips. they did their own testing on the durmax, cummins, 7.3 power stroke, and 6.0 and show graphs of EACH motor's torque and hp numbers. out of all the 6.0 responded better with the chip but just a hair.

So, choose a year with a known good diesel and then choose your body you want. Ford, chevy, dodge. Personal preferance.

Scot

blafleur
06-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Diesel's seem to be very individualistic. You can take the same year model and options, and your hp and mileage will differ some stock. Put the same mods on each, and you will get slightly different results. My coworker who has a diesel performance shop has a money back guarantee on the mileage increase on his programmers, so that says something. One friend with a duramax got 4 mpg increase, others I have talked to have had a power increase but not a mpg increase, still others have actually had mpg go down. Undoubtedly it very much depends on the weight of each persons foot.

To make a short story long, I guess I am trying to say you wont get a pat anwer to any questions on diesels. You will find a die hard fan for each, and each have good points and bad. There have been lemons from each company. You definately will get a power increase with a chip/programmer, and more than likely an mpg increase. I personally tow 13000 very easily with stock except for Amsoil air filter and fluids.

Good luck,
Bryan

Randy J
06-30-2004, 08:48 AM
The Amsoil Bryan references made about as much difference as anything in mine. I increased my mileage by about 1.5mpg by the time I had switched all fluids over to synthetic.

blafleur
06-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I didnt notice a mpg increase, but the turbo definately spools up quicker with the amsoil air filter, and I just feel better with the synthetic fluids.

Bryan

lwcmattlifter
07-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I get 16-19 with my 97 supercab 4x4 Powerstroke. Check out Thedieselstop.com they can help you with any powerstroke question better than anyone.

clydesdale
07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I dont understand the psd bashing here. My crewcab 7.3 6spd gets 16 in town and 18.5 on the highway. That sounds fine to me. I often here about mileage lies all the time. So many people get 20 with this truck or that truck and then you talk to the next guy and he gets 17. From what i understand the 6.0 gets about the same as the 7.3, the new cummins 600 gets less, around 15 town and the duramax is doing real well with high teens. Just pick the one you like, they all have strength and weaknesses. I like the duramax motor, but the truck is too soft for me. I have talked to MANY people who own both a d-max and a psd and they say bottom line....the d-max is great for giving estimates and taking the family out, or towing an rv, but for work, plowing and toughness, the ford or dodge have it beat. It all depends what you want.

ProMo
07-06-2004, 06:06 PM
my dodge was getting 9 mpg when I bought it. The fuel filter was clogged now im getting 23 hwy 12 pulling enclosed trailer

kbenvironmental
07-06-2004, 11:41 PM
99 F-350 7.3L HD quad-cab 4x4 LB 4.11 rear, Reading utility box bed with 4'x8' boxes fully loaded with tools and parts, 103,000mi and averaging 15 in town, 18 highway for the past year when I drive nice.

One of the other engineers bought an 04 F-250 and is averaging 24 hwy. My cousing bought an 04 Dodge 2500 quad-cab SB 4x4 and that thing has much more kick that mine. Well....at least for now.

So should I expect problems with the injectors if I install a Banks system or an Edge system?

amw
07-07-2004, 10:00 AM
99 PDS 4x4 i get betwwen 12-20mpg depending on trailer/no trailer, my foot, the temp outside (can make a big dif!), city/highway, ect..

i have a chip (110hp)
4 1/2 inch exaust.

(the air temp outside can make a big dif., if the engine isnt at temp. then its not running effeciently... so it will burn more fuel, this is why you see semi's with the covers over their grills.)

with out a cover, in the winter i get 9-11 mpg, with a cover i get 13 (with 3000+lbs of salt + spreader and plow, ect..) all winter.

quick trips (start drive 2 miles shut off) use alot of fuel.
its most expensive to START your truck and to get to your speed your going to stay at, once you reach your speed a diesel engine uses hardly any fuel to stay at that speed, the things that would change this would be..
a change in grade (an incline)
head wind (wind comeing at you)
ect..

(a 7.3L PSD uses 1/8gal per hour to idle, THIS IS STOCK)

I have worked for ford and gmc and they both make a good truck.
im not a big fan of dodge but they make a good truck too.
But they all have their flaws and +'s.
one thing i dont like about the duramax is alum. heads, IMO this wasnt a smart move.
the new fords (6.0L) have had ongoing prob. with the computers programing, i know a few poeople who have had to get reprogramed 5+ times and they still run like sh*t.
and well i already said i dont like dodge, so i will leave that one alone.

Buy what you can afford. Buy based on your experance..
ie if you hate a particular car company .... Dont buy from them. buy from a dealer who you like..
and who has Great service...Unless you plan on doing your own work. (i wouldnt sugest this unless you know diesels, you could make it cost alot more $!)

hope this helps someone out.

sdwally
07-08-2004, 05:16 PM
I just bought an 04 F350 crew cab 4x4 a few months ago. Short trips and around town I get about 14mpg, on the highway about 19mpg. As a stock truck.
About a week ago I had a 4" exhaust install and immediately notice a huge performance boost. What the shop and I thought was a resonance chamber, turned out to be a catalytic convertor. I was shocked, it also was mounted way back in the exhaust system. Besides that I still get about the same mpg around town and it seem to increase highway mpg to 20-21mpg. Haven't really loaded it down yet for a long haul.
The earlier 6.0 PS had a crank problem, but that has been fixed.

shortgut
07-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by draftlawncare
thanks gilla thats the kinda of info i was after i still would like some real #s on fuel mileage on the powerstrokes with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears
I have a 99 F 250 superduty with six speed and pulling a 16 ft duel axle trailer with a Kubota Zd 18-54 and a Scag Saber Tooth tiger with a 72" deck I do not go over 15 mile radius and my fuel average is in the 12 to 13 mpg range the empty weigth of the trailer is 3600lbs before i put all my other stuff in including the mowers hope this helps you

txlawnking
07-23-2004, 01:56 AM
My 82' chevy 1/2 ton with the six deuce, 700r4 ( that doesn't lock up right now, need to fix) and 3.08 gears, and has 168k miles, get's 20-23 unloaded, and about 15-17 pulling my 6x12' enclosed 2800 lb trailer at 65 mph. If I would get off my lazy butt and fix the converter lock up problem, it will get 25-27 highway, no bs. Just really wish it was Turbo...Some day it will be after a restoration..

drmiller100
07-26-2004, 11:56 PM
99 ps crew cab short bed with shell. Empty at 82 it got 17 or 18 from denver to boise. filled in colorado springs.

pulling 3400 pound 2 axle trailer with almost anything on it it gets 14ish.
Pulling the 8 foot tall interior height by 8 foot wide square front trailer that weighs 5000 pounds it has gotten as low as 10. that was climbing a big hill and passing a LOT of folks.
K*N air filter, superchips. The superchips I thought gave same mileage from stock to medium. In race mode it makes a LOT more smoke, and gets better mileage.
I've got a built 454 in a 'burban. Empty, driving comparable to the smoke wagon, the burban got 10 empty, 6 loaded with a trailer. The 'burban will flat run away and hide from the smoke wagon, but gets a hair over half the mileage.
I've got a 6 speed. It absolutely SUCKS around town. juggling cell phone writing messages and shifting gears while towing is too much.
For auto, dodge really and totally sucks. ford auto is pretty good. chevy allison is great, previous trannies totally sucked.

blublazes
07-27-2004, 12:06 AM
I have a 2001 F-250 psd, it is a 6 speed with 3.73 gears, i pull around 3,000lbs when i have the trailer, i get what most of these guys have said in the 12-14 mpg range, but without the trailer i get around 17. I have a 75hp chip with bigger exhaust and larger intake, in my opinion, with the chip, if u dont drive like you have some sense, you wont see very good fuel mileage, but if u drive like normal, like i try to do, then you shouldnt see much difference from a stock one, but i wouldnt say that it will be any better either, just depends on your right foot!

Paul

kc2006
07-28-2004, 12:33 AM
my 96 4x4 gets about 14 around town with no trailer. i need to change the fuel filter and get some diesel kleen and I should be up around 17 or 18 around town (all my friends with strokes are getting that). I also have 4.10 gears and a automatic tranny

Gilla Gorilla
07-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Are any of you running the Diablo Sport Predator performance tuner. It has four different stages and from what I hear it is pretty trick.

Check out this tuner and see what you all think.
I used to work with a guy at the dealership that is getting this unit for me for $320.00 and it usually retails for $450.00.

http://www.diablosport.com/U7170.php

Cracker
08-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Avery
That is what pisses the Ford people off. Chevy and Dodge will both get better mileage than the Ford and both offer better performance. Simple fact, not opinion. And before anyone goes quoting spec sheets I do not drive or work spec sheets. I work in the real world. Test drive all three then decide which is better for you.

Speaking from 1st hand experience

Duramax is a dog of an engine, way to under powered.

power stroke is the only way to go.

my .02 worth

SWD
08-02-2004, 07:04 AM
I run a '97 F350 dually crew cab powerstroke with the auto and 4:10 rear end.
Before I changed the turbo down tube, exhaust and programming, I was getting about 11 loaded and 14-15 empty. And Yes, it was slow.
Once I changed the downtube, put on a 4" unrestricted exhaust system and reprogrammed, the mileage loaded went to 14 and empty about 18.5 to 22. The variation in the empty mileage is due to how fast I was going. At 70 to about 80 I got around 22. Beyond 80 the mileage dropped fast.
What I found as a problem in my F350 was the automatic tranny. In 148K miles I'm on my 3rd one. The 2nd went out after 19K miles. This really pissed the fuel away.
I won't bore or horrify people with my experience at the local Ford house. Suffice to say Ford Dearborn got involved and I have no more warranty issues. Funny thing is though, I bought the truck used from the local dealer, they KNEW I was going to buy a second one, and STILL they tried to screw me on the warranty repair. Well, it's their loss, not mine.

rnorred
08-05-2004, 01:32 PM
I have been a Ford man all my life, but I just bought a new Chevy and Ill never look back. That was based on MPG.

SWD
08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, due to my experience with Ford on their bungling of the warranty repair and failure to due whats right - NO MORE FORD'S for me.
Next truck is either an Isuzu or Mitsu quad cab with a landscaper rack on a dump body.
Bye Bye Ford - your company sucks!

Paul Corsetti
08-10-2004, 10:57 PM
well i see keys being typed but all i see is bla bla bla bla. from the owner of 3 ford power strokes, some work and some play trucks ,i will tell you if you change out the factory air cleaner to k@n on something comp and open the flow to a 5 inch pipe from the engine to the tail pipe you can get 16 mpg to 18. my 2003 psd gets 16 on the highway and 12/13 in the city, and my truck with the chip/controler 2004 psd will eat any desiel on the road,dodge or chevy,raced them all on the track,and for hold up my 95 has 285K miles and is use every day