PDA

View Full Version : converting a zero turn momer into a spray/fert rig

big valley
06-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Any help would be appreciated, I have been in the mowing biz for 3 years, I have a 44 in Cub cadet Z force with an 18 hp intek engine. I have recently purchased an Exmark 60. I am wanting to get in to the spraying side of the lawn business. I would like to know from some of you that may have done this or can tell me if it is a waste of time, or just not fesible. Could I convert my cub cadet to a spray rig. My concerns are would the mower support the extra weight, say 15-20 gal tank,plus an electric spreader. or should I just bite the bullet and go for a Z-spray or perma. I am working with a tight budget.
any suggestions out there, thanks

James Cormier
06-19-2004, 07:49 PM
bite the bullet, go for the zspray

Buginout
06-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Yes bite the bullet- Z-spray is the only way to go. If you go a head and convert your mower to be spreader/sprayer, after one season it will be a big pile of rust.

Buginout
06-19-2004, 10:58 PM
OH Don't forget to get your PCO Lic.

specialtylc
06-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Well my MTD pro Z2554 I converted 4 years ago and has performed better than a factory machine. Here is a photo of it with the spray tanks. Also use a 100# fert. spreader on the front. I have used this on some rough and steep areas that a Perma green type machine would never go. You can convert your rider into a sprayer for less than 300 dollars and a fert spreader is about $600 more or less.

philk17088
06-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I've been debating this also. I don't have any mowers but I'm looking for a used ztr to convert. I'm not laying out the huge bucks these guys want for custom made things that seem to have endless problems.

My question is how much is a used ztr worth? Any market for selling the mowing deck off it?

Luscious Lawns
06-20-2004, 11:15 AM
I have an Exmark 52 I've converted for spraying. It is not a perminant hookup, it sets on and off with 4 bolts allowing it to be used for mowing also. It has a 2.5 GPM pump that is pressure adjustable 0-60 it has a 80" spray width boom, along with a 15 ft. hand hose. I've shot hundreds of gallons of chemicals through it, and it works like a charm. I think I'm into the setup for about $500

I don't think I would buy a Z just for the conversions but if you already have one, for 500 extra they add a tremendious capability to a biz.

cantoo
06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
pics of mine.
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=72247

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=48914

big valley
06-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys. This cadet I have doesn't compare with my Exmark, If I can't sell it, I may as well attemp to convert it to a sprayer. Hey (specialtylc) what size tank is that on your rig, I think I could go to a 20-25 gl tank. thanks

cantoo
06-20-2004, 11:40 PM
big valley, I have a MTD Pro Z 2554, I used a 30 gallon spray tank on the back of it mounted above the motor. I ruined the right wheel axle because of the weight. I am still have trouble with it even after I changed the bearing out. I should have stripped some weight off the machine but wanted to use it for cutting too. I took the weight bar off but the damage had already been done, side hills were a killer on the axle bearing.

big valley
06-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks Cantoo, I agree with you about the extra weight. I dont intend to cut with it ,I have considered having a special tank made that would fit in place of the mower deck. I would like to go with a 30 gl but that is a lot of weight to haul a round. Maybe I could lose a few pounds to help out, of course that's another challenge, lol

specialtylc
06-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by big valley
Thanks everyone for your replys. This cadet I have doesn't compare with my Exmark, If I can't sell it, I may as well attemp to convert it to a sprayer. Hey (specialtylc) what size tank is that on your rig, I think I could go to a 20-25 gl tank. thanks
Thats a 15 on front and back. I run the rear tank out first and then switch to the front. Otherwise it would be too lite on the front since there is no deck weight on it. I have run this on 20 degree side hills on a regular basis for the last 4 years. I have had no failures on this mower at all. And the mower was built in 1998.
I am sure that 15 gal. tank mounted on front or back is going to be the max. since you have a smaller machine than mine. If you had a custom belly tank made you could go to 30 or 40 easy. If you have basic mech. skills and a welder you can make your own setup very easy, and low cost.

sprayman73703
06-21-2004, 01:55 AM
If you want the best you need the prolawn rig on a grasshopper or a walker. I have been over 250 acres with it this year since I bought it and it is awesome. There is nothing to go wrong on it. The hoods let you spray in any wind. I sprayed on days that I couldn't even keep my hat on and there was zero drift. I built a small foam marking system on it so I could eliminate the dye. Good luck and watch thosse insurance costs!!!!!!!!!!!!

cantoo
06-22-2004, 12:01 AM
sprayman, I had the same setup on my Walker. I didn't like it as much as the MTD, not quite enough ground speed. Hills were better with the Walker though. If I ever get time I am going to build a dedicated spray and fert machine.

sprayman73703
06-22-2004, 01:07 AM
The main trouble I have with the graound speed is the rough terrain. With my grasshopper 5 MPH is about all i can do if it is rough otherwise I could ride it the full 7 MPH that the mower can run. Did your walker have a hard time pushing the prolawn? I started with a 616 grasshopper and it just wasn't tough enough to handle it so I went to a 718 commercial series and now I have more power than I need. So if I had any trouble it was with the tractors not really the sprayer itself.

cantoo
06-22-2004, 10:50 PM
sprayman, I meant I had my same spray outfit on the Walker as I have on the MTD. I also have one of the windfoil types but have never mouted it yet. The sprayer I use I built out of a pull behind unit. I have knock away booms that work really good on small crowded properties. No matter what system you use I prefer to use a ZTR and sit on my ass than pull a hose.

sprayman73703
06-23-2004, 01:23 AM
I couldn't agree with you more!