PDA

View Full Version : Tree Trunk Boots

Expert Lawns
06-19-2004, 07:04 PM
I do mostly mowing, not too much landscaping. Had a customer ask me if I could put some "boots" around 7-8 small trees. Is there a specific place to go or brand to look for? Can I just use that plastic black piping and make a slit down one side? He just wants the trunks to be protected from the weed whacker since they are so new and thin. thanks

TREEGODFATHER
06-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Better for the tree and easier in the long run is to ring the tree with mulch.

Expert Lawns
06-21-2004, 10:28 AM
then i would have to talk the homeowner into getting the black edging around all 7 trees. If that isn't installed, then trimming around the mulch gets messy

odorisio
06-21-2004, 10:47 AM
we NEVER use black edging, and the mulch never gets messy. the trick is to cut the bed in by hand or with a nifty piece of equipment called a bed edger.

also when you mulch arround new trees, you should have a depression in the center of the tree, any exposed bark should never be covered with earth/mulch.

bleabold
06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Treegodfather is 100% correct. You don't have to use black plastic edging. A natural edge is easier and less expensive. If you do a nice job edging, there won't be any mess and you could most likely cut right up to the ring and not need to trim. Thus saving you time in the long run.

PS. If you sell the benefits of mulching around the tree, you should not have to "talk him into it".

Just my 2 cents.

Expert Lawns
06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
He just asked for the plastic things to be put around the bottom of his little trees. Just something simple he said. They do all their landscaping themselves. If you're saying that by cutting an edge around the bed and installing mulch will be his better choice, then I should run it by him first and see what he says.

Now, if anyone would like to answer the first question I posted, what is the best product to use around these tree trunks?

odorisio
06-21-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.trimeeze.com/pricelist.asp

google for tree protector