PDA

View Full Version : How big a truck to pull a10,000 gvw dump trailer?

CharlieBingo
06-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I've got a 3\4 and a 1 ton pickup. I'm not sure if they can pull this? There gvw's are 76000 and 9600 respectivily.

PMLAWN
06-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Look at the door sticker for GCVW. With a larger V8 and a auto trans you should be alright but check the rating.

CharlieBingo
06-19-2004, 08:07 PM
So the gcvw is differen't from the gvw?

G&S LANDSCAPING
06-19-2004, 08:42 PM
:D I tow my dump trailer with a 3500 one ton, dually, v- 10 with a 5-speed trans. with no prolbems at all . Lots of torque.:D

EagleLandscape
06-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Are you driving a dodge pickup?

szwedj
06-19-2004, 11:01 PM
gcvw is gross combined vehicle weight. It is truck and trailer combined weight.

Joe

twwlawn
06-20-2004, 10:34 AM
I pull my 10,000 GVW dump trailer with a F250 PS and I also use a weight distributing hitch.

One Timer
06-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Your problem isn't pulling, its stopping it under all conditions,like rain,snow etc

Gravel Rat
06-20-2004, 03:20 PM
It doesn't matter if you can have the power to pull it if you can't stop it you shouldn't be pulling it. I know a guy with a Dodge 2500 2wd Cummins he's pulling a heavy load all the time everytime I see him he has troubles stopping :rolleyes:

Personally I don't trust those electric trailer brakes it only takes one wire to short out and you got no brakes or your brake controller decides it doesn't want to work and your screwed.

There is no hope in hell a 3/4s tons brakes are going to stop a 10,000lb trailer safely if the trailer brakes failed.

My brother and I did a job for a guy to move a 1 ton dually on a car trailer the truck weighed 7000lbs or so I don't know what a tandem axle car trailer weighs must be 2000lbs atleast so the trailer was grossing 9000lbs.

We were pulling the trailer with a 95 F-350 srw 4x4 PSD the truck had enough power to pull but not enough brakes to stop. The brakes on the 350 were so hot you couldn't even touch the front or rear wheels after going down the hills here. The brakes on the trailer are weak but work some but not enough to keep the brakes on the truck from smoking.

The F-350 is a automatic so we went down hills in first gear and used the brakes lightly to controll the speed also kept a large following distance. If we went down the hills in drive and tried using the trucks brakes to keep a safe speed you would have the front brake rotors cherry red.

The only semi reliable brake system for a heavy trailer that is pulled behind a truck with juice brakes a vacuum over hydraulic. The only way I would pull a heavy trailer with electric brakes is with a bigger truck with bigger brakes. To safely stop a 10,000lb trailer would need a F-450 Ford even then you will smoke the brakes.

For flatlanders that don't know what hills are don't need brakes but when your decending 10-12% grades some are slightly steeper you need good brakes.

amw
06-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Gravel Rat
It doesn't matter if you can have the power to pull it if you can't stop it you shouldn't be pulling it. I know a guy with a Dodge 2500 2wd Cummins he's pulling a heavy load all the time everytime I see him he has troubles stopping :rolleyes:

Personally I don't trust those electric trailer brakes it only takes one wire to short out and you got no brakes or your brake controller decides it doesn't want to work and your screwed.

There is no hope in hell a 3/4s tons brakes are going to stop a 10,000lb trailer safely if the trailer brakes failed.

My brother and I did a job for a guy to move a 1 ton dually on a car trailer the truck weighed 7000lbs or so I don't know what a tandem axle car trailer weighs must be 2000lbs atleast so the trailer was grossing 9000lbs.

We were pulling the trailer with a 95 F-350 srw 4x4 PSD the truck had enough power to pull but not enough brakes to stop. The brakes on the 350 were so hot you couldn't even touch the front or rear wheels after going down the hills here. The brakes on the trailer are weak but work some but not enough to keep the brakes on the truck from smoking.

The F-350 is a automatic so we went down hills in first gear and used the brakes lightly to controll the speed also kept a large following distance. If we went down the hills in drive and tried using the trucks brakes to keep a safe speed you would have the front brake rotors cherry red.

The only semi reliable brake system for a heavy trailer that is pulled behind a truck with juice brakes a vacuum over hydraulic. The only way I would pull a heavy trailer with electric brakes is with a bigger truck with bigger brakes. To safely stop a 10,000lb trailer would need a F-450 Ford even then you will smoke the brakes.

For flatlanders that don't know what hills are don't need brakes but when your decending 10-12% grades some are slightly steeper you need good brakes.

Gravel Rat
In some/most states you HAVE to have electric brakes
on commercial trailers
if you mantaine your equipment properly you will not have a prob.
also you "should" have brakes on all 4 tires,
I use electric brakes and have for years and they work fine, great even.. i can stop my 9000lb truck and 10,000lb trailer with just my trailer brakes ...also a BIG dif. between them working good or not is the brake controler being ajusted properly.

Besides all that they wouldnt be US DOT approved if they were not safe...

99% of the probs. with electric brakes is the owner not maintaining them properly!!

and yes i have driven over hills AND mountains and they work great their too!

PMLAWN
06-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Elec. breaks work well. What you are saying is that because your trailer was broke that all electric brakes do not work.
That is like saying that if you did not put gas in your tank and you ran out-- that all gas tanks do not work. If you do proper maintence than things should work. If you ask broken down idems to do a job than you are asking for trouble.
If the GCVW of the truck is over the weight of what your truck and trailer weigh and all you equipment is in working order than you should be fine.

amw
06-23-2004, 08:50 AM
dont forget to check your "brake-away" battery. the police sure wont!

Just a reminder...