PDA

View Full Version : Dandelion Wine

BareFootLawn
06-20-2004, 12:17 AM
I hate dandelions!
But this year, in commemoration of going full time, I'm brewing several gallons of dandelion wine.
It's fermenting on the back deck and will be bottled on July 4th.
Any of you folks every tried this?
My wife's too scared to try it.

timturf
06-20-2004, 06:37 PM
My dad and I made it many, many years ago when I was between 5 and 6 th grade! Must of tasted alright, but I remember it took a long time to pick all the pretty yellow flowers, even in a field with nothing but dandelions.
Hope it turns out ok!

I remember we also made grape and tomatoe wine

DUSTYCEDAR
07-06-2004, 10:39 PM
been there and tried that
hope it turns out
lots of sugar to get the alachol up there

Garden Panzer
07-07-2004, 12:50 AM
:cool:
Once you get it...YOU'RE the man!
I give 1-4 bottles of it to clients EVERY X-Mas.
A little BUZZZZZZZ goes far with clients!

BareFootLawn
07-07-2004, 11:05 AM
GP - I'm thinking of doing the same.
Dusty... man is that SWEET stuff! Kind of a cross between apple cider (vinegar) and suger. Different, but not bad.

Doster's L & L
07-08-2004, 01:03 PM
How do you make the dandelion wine? I've never heard of it till now.

GreenQuest Lawn
07-08-2004, 05:20 PM
All the dandelions I have seen have a healthly dose of pesticide on them so I hesitate using any..........With that being said I have never tried it but would love to someday.:D

BareFootLawn
07-08-2004, 06:36 PM
The pesticide is what gives the "kick"! Kinda like tequila... only stronger!! ;)
I got the recipe here:
http://www.mansgarden.com/dandel.html

Garden Panzer
07-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I would wonder if wine made from treated dandys would increase a person's tolerance to exposure. If this turns out to be true shouldn't they just put 2,4-d in the food supply to reduce cases of exposure?
:o

I brew my own beer as well, I pick the hops from clients places- and get the malt @ the brew store.
Ever use honey instead of refined sugar?
it works better.....mead!
:eek:

Norm Al
07-10-2004, 12:49 AM
permethrins are made from crsanthimum blooms!

Bryn
07-17-2004, 12:27 PM
When visiting the United Kingdom I tried some Dandilion wine, not bad. Also tried an Oak wine, made from Oak leaves, the only thing I remeber about that was the recipe had to be perfect or you run the risk of making poison. But the best home made drink I tried wasa Sloans Slow Gin, especially the sloans drizzled in chocolate after they where removed, but full of alcohol.

Best Regards

Bryn