PDA

View Full Version : Most mulch transported at one time

brentsawyer
06-20-2004, 01:47 PM
This should be a fun thread. I was wondering what is the most mulch some of you have ever picked up in one trip and transported and with what. Earlier this year I had a mulch job that had to be done on the weekend so I had to get as much as possible and between the truck and trailer, I had 20 actual yards of hardwood.

D Felix
06-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Close to 30 yards, between two trailers, one trip. Two trucks too, if that makes a difference.:p No mulch in the trucks.

Our 18' 12k trailer regularly sees 16+ yards in the spring, our 14' 7k trailer I can pack on 10 yards if I have to.

I'll add that anyone with a blower truck need not apply here, you have bigger vehicles than most! But I'm still curious to know what your capacities are....

Dan

packmate81
06-20-2004, 09:17 PM
i have two blower trucks, one is 60 yds and one is 90yds

dlandscaping
06-23-2004, 01:20 AM
4 yards in the truck (with sides) and around 12 in the trailer with sides. We could have fit more but didnt want to try to pull that much with a gasser.

Groundcover Solutions
06-24-2004, 09:48 PM
4 60yard blower trucks so that is what ummmmm 240yards!!!!! BEAT THAT

Meadowbrook
10-19-2004, 11:36 PM
I can get 4 in the bed of my Ram with 1 set of 2X4 sideboards, if I had a few more sets, I could fit a good 6-7 on the pickup. My trailer, well.......its 18' and with 2 2X4's the whole way back, I had 7 yards with some spilling over the top boards, but if I'd put another couple sets of em' on, I'd have a hell of a pile on my trailer. The dump truck will hold 10 respectively.

Chris

Precision
10-19-2004, 11:41 PM
all you need to get more in a trailer is a very large tarp. lay it down in the bottom of the trailer with the excess laying out onto the ground. Then fill her up. Then pull the excess tarp over the load and tie it up. works like a charm. Just don't overload your trailer.

I have gotten 12 yds into my 16 ft.

Also you don't have blow away as you drive and you dont' have to blow out the bed, just lift up the tarp and it will all pool in one spot when you are almost done, scoop that out and off you go.

NNJLandman
10-19-2004, 11:44 PM
We've done some pretty big mulch jobs before, but we've done bigger top soil and seeding jobs, the one job we did took something like 6 tri axle loads of topsoil and 4 single axle loads. I forget the exact amount, as for mulch maybe biggest job 60-80 yds of mulch hauled in the bosses peterbuilt single axle rig.

Jeff

Del9175
10-22-2004, 12:36 AM
I have hauled 5.5 yards in the bed of a regular pickup with out any sides. I did not even have to tarp it nor did I even have one peice of mulch blow off as I drove to the jobsite.

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-22-2004, 01:17 AM
i fit 3 yards with no sides - in my truck, with a full sized toolbox, yeah! thank god for headache racks and tarps.

i put 3800 pounds on a trailer one time, dont know how much that equals 7-8yds?, but my I-6 ford didn't like it too much.

mere peanuts compared to you guys, i guess thats why if i have to, let the deliery guys handle it.

PROCUT1
10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
I have hauled 5.5 yards in the bed of a regular pickup with out any sides. I did not even have to tarp it nor did I even have one peice of mulch blow off as I drove to the jobsite.

If they told u that was 5.5 yards......

Unless youre joking of course

But if you paid for 5.5, when you left you could have sat on a bar stool and had your ass cheeks touching the floor.

Del9175
10-22-2004, 05:50 PM
If they told u that was 5.5 yards......

Unless youre joking of course

But if you paid for 5.5, when you left you could have sat on a bar stool and had your ass cheeks touching the floor.

Nope, not joking at all and I know for a fact that it was 5.5 yards.

jimmyq
10-22-2004, 08:53 PM
When I get mulch around here, 2 good scoops of a supposed 1 cube yard tractor bucket fills my truck bed pretty much full to level. I cant wrap my head around where the other 3.5 yards went on your load?

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-23-2004, 01:03 AM
thats like saying you fit a whole chord of noting but wood in the bed of your truck, which is about 4 cu/yrds... good luck at fitting 5.5yds

jajwrigh
10-23-2004, 12:18 PM
4 60yard blower trucks so that is what ummmmm 240yards!!!!! BEAT THAT

You are crowned the KING of mulch!! :drinkup:

D Felix
10-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Nope, not joking at all and I know for a fact that it was 5.5 yards.
I think you need to get a new supplier if you "know for a fact" that you recieved 5.5 yards...

Do the math: 8' bed x 5' wide x 2' tall = 80 cubic feet (that 2' tall and is probably generous)
80 cubic feet / 27 cubic feet per yard = 2.9 yards

So you had 3 yards level with the bedsides, and another 2.5 mounded above? I don't think so...

I'm gonna call a spade a spade here and say you may have had 5.5 yards in the truck (4.5 is a BIG maybe in my book...), but unless you drove 5 mph to the job, you had a bunch of it blow off.

Use a tarp. It's much cheaper than a leaky load ticket. TRUST ME on that! Four years ago, they were $110 and 4 points on your license here in IN.

Dan

ProMo
10-24-2004, 11:00 AM
10 yds in bed of my truck

Del9175
10-24-2004, 11:44 AM
I think you need to get a new supplier if you "know for a fact" that you recieved 5.5 yards...

Dan

Actually it was just over 5.5 yards. I probably could have put another couple on if I had needed to.

D Felix
10-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Actually it was just over 5.5 yards. I probably could have put another couple on if I had needed to.Now I know you're full of it....

I'll stand firm that I do not believe there is any way you got an actual 5.5 yards on a regular pickup without sides. The only way that MAY have been possible is if you had it bagged and had the bags stacked well.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, BTW...

Dan

ProMo
10-27-2004, 08:38 AM
I buy bagged mulch a pallet is 5 yds and I have carried 2 pallets any more than that I have it blown in

Del9175
10-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Now I know you're full of it....

I'll stand firm that I do not believe there is any way you got an actual 5.5 yards on a regular pickup without sides. The only way that MAY have been possible is if you had it bagged and had the bags stacked well.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, BTW...

Dan

Yep, it was bagged. Thats how we do it down here in Fl. I used to do business in MI and spread thousands of yards of mulch. Mulching is so much easier and faster using bagged. I can haul more and it spreads so much faster. I can haul almost a yard of it in a large wheelbarrow.

Would you agree that things aren't always done the way that you're used to doing them?

D Felix
10-28-2004, 09:17 AM
If you had simply stated that it was bagged in the first place......:) Especially since I was calculating bed capacity....:rolleyes:

I know things aren't always done the same as I'm used to. I still can't understand the infatuation with bagged mulch down there in FL though.:D

Dan

fcl01
10-28-2004, 09:31 AM
i know if i could get bagged for the same price as bulk, id never buy bulk again. but i cant so bulk it is!