PDA

View Full Version : Trimming question?

husqvarna600c
06-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I have been trying different ways to use my trimmer. Its a Husqvarna326lx straight shaft. The head rotates counter clockwise. Sometimes when i trim the head suddenly pulls itself into the grass leaving a burnt looking spot. I can trim several feet then boom it does it. Which direction should i cut. I assume i should cut and walk to the left.???:confused:

edgit
06-21-2004, 12:15 PM
First and foremost, hold your trimmer left-handed. This means left hand on the gas, right hand holding handle. Trimmer lays flat across your body, engine on your left, string head on your right. Now as you trim along a wall, right to left, you walk straight ahead with your arms down. Do not walk backwards or sideways while trimming, its slow, hard, not safe and unproductive.

Likestomow
06-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Now that's the best, most concise advice I've seen!

By standing on the right side of the trimmer you will have less grass on you as well. It makes sense.

husqvarna600c
06-23-2004, 12:25 AM
The only thing that sucks is that the exhaust will be right next to me that way instead of the other way.

Lbilawncare
06-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Try taking the guard off and trimming right to left, I rarely have to walk backwards and the grass doesn't get thrown into the landscaping. Holding the trimmer left handed will get you a nice burn on the arm,

tiedeman
06-23-2004, 01:21 AM
it all depends on the situation, most times I just walk straight, but others I walk sidewalks. Try holding the head at different angles. Try trimming with the front side and back side of the trimming line. Just experiment

TClawn
06-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Lbilawncare
Try taking the guard off and trimming right to left, I rarely have to walk backwards and the grass doesn't get thrown into the landscaping. Holding the trimmer left handed will get you a nice burn on the arm,

what kind of a trimmer are you using? I've held my trimmer left handed from the very start and I rarely feel any of the exaust.

edgit
06-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by husqvarna600c
The only thing that sucks is that the exhaust will be right next to me that way instead of the other way.

If you lay the shaft of the trimmer flat across the front of your body with the engine off to your left you can't get burned by the exhaust. Its out away from your body. When you trim just walk along the wall. Every step you take while walking backwards or sideways is wasted energy, energy you're going to need at the end of the day, not to mention being dangerous. I had a guy break his arm years ago when he fell into a patio well while walking backward trimming around the back of an apartment building.

ken50
06-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I tired this today, sure feels awkward. I can see how it is better, but just hard to get used to. How long before it feels natural???

RedWingsDet
06-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by edgit
First and foremost, hold your trimmer left-handed. This means left hand on the gas, right hand holding handle. Trimmer lays flat across your body, engine on your left, string head on your right. Now as you trim along a wall, right to left, you walk straight ahead with your arms down. Do not walk backwards or sideways while trimming, its slow, hard, not safe and unproductive.

i ususally walk backwords going right to left, and i tried that today, and boy oh boy that was more difficult from walking right to left!!! but it didnt put grass in peoples beds, that was the good thing. i just gotta get used to it i guess.

imowstraightlines
06-23-2004, 11:31 PM
well i have only been in the business a couple of years . i have only run shindiawas. and i found that with this trimmer. " trimmer head going counter clockwise" the best method is to just slow the head speed down a bit until you get good at it.and take the dam guard right off. the guards suck. all they do is waste line and get in the way.and if you try and flip side you can't see what you are doing. always trim from right to left. never the other way. if you do it the other way you gonna spend alot of time blowing out beds that don't need to be blown. a trimmer is only a mower in smaller form . so only trim the grass to the height that you are cutting it with the mower. i see guys all the time try and trim the edges as far as you can go it looks dumb and will burn the grass in no time. it leaves the yellow line along every edge on the property.

So my advice in short. slow the trimmer down. take the guard off. trim right to left always! flip side on mulch beds and driveways and you should be banging out sweet lawns in no time.and maybe try making the line a little long than what you have been. using a shorter line will burn the grass more easily.and longer line will make it harder for the trimmer to get down in the grass and cut it to the dirt.

edgit
06-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ken50
I tired this today, sure feels awkward. I can see how it is better, but just hard to get used to. How long before it feels natural???

Don't know how long it will take you to get used to it. I did it the wrong way (right handed) for 10 years before I hired a guy who was left handed. Before I could get to him to screw him up he started trimming left handed. I watched him for a few minutes then thought "you dumb ass you've been doing this all wrong". From that day forward all my trimmer operators were required to use trimmers left-handed. Over the years I problably trained over a hundred people to trim this way and not one had any problems. It took me maybe a couple of days to feel completely natural. Just remember its faster, safer, thus more productive. Thats money in the bank.

TROTTMAN
06-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Hahaha, 600c, the other guys are probably going to rip on me, but I hold the trimmer right handed (right hand on throttle, left hand on handle) and I walk from left toward the right. This goes "with the grain" and is easier to trim this was as far as fatigue goes, but there is no question that it does not cut as efficiently this way. It is fine for my accounts since I keep up with most weekly and there is not much growth to worry about. When I edge I go from right to left and stand on the road and walk backwards. I find this the most comfortable way for me to use trimmers.