PDA

View Full Version : Sod...Pallets or rolls???

Bings
06-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Which do you prefer. laying sod from pallets or from rolls? trying to line up my first sod install, will have a skidsteer. seems like pallets may be easier to handle but rolls might be quicker.

KenH
06-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Doesnt sod come delivered rolled on pallets???

BCSteel
06-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by KenH
Doesnt sod come delivered rolled on pallets???

Thats how I always get mine.

EagleLandscape
06-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Depends on what kind of grass it is. Different types of grasses grow in different types of soils. I will tell you good luck if you want to get rolled St. Augustine with our think clay soil. Bermuda with a loamy soil will roll though. And you northerners have sandy soil, so I'm sure you can get rolls of soil on a pallet? How else would they transport the sod, in grocery bags?

hole in one lco
06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
If i pick it up a pallet if delivered rolled
Trust me is a bit$% too roll the sod of the truck.

o-so-n-so
06-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Sod cut in rectangles stacked on a pallet works good for me.

Get it in 50 yd pallets. 3 people works good as well. One driving, one removing from pallet to ground, the other working it in tight.

What do I know though.....never used the rolled sod.

D Felix
06-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Most sod around here comes on pallets in rolls, either 10 sf or a square yard...

I assume you may be talking about the BIG rolls, those usually are 42-48" wide by around 90 feet long?

I've never used the large rolls, but they have their place. If you have a lot of open ground to cover, they may be the way to go. Only drawback on them is most places need several days worth of lead time to get them cut. And you have to have equipment to handle them, either a tractor or a skidsteer. Plus all of the deposits and rentals on the attachments and tubes.

And you need a fair amount of labor to pull them into place.

So, for 90-95% of the sod jobs you will typically do, smaller rolls on a pallet is the easiest way.:)

edit: Personally, when it comes to squares vs. rolls on a pallet, I prefer rolls. They can be much easier to handle, and won't break apart as much as squares when you handle them. It's a lot faster to "throw" rolls (IMHO) than it is to throw squares....

Dan

Bings
06-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks o-so-n-so,
That's what I was referring to was rectangles or rolls, I guess pallets was a bad choice of words. The 3 person method with the rectangles sounds like the way to go.

Tman86
06-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Well obviously Rolls would be faster depending on how big of an area that you are doing. My Boss and I just did a job that was big.I think it was 8,000 sq. Ft and we used 100ft Rolls. and the guy had a special machine that rolled it out for you and all we had to do was pull it tight. but that was my first time ever doing it.

Tman86
06-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Oh and when we were done it looked like a football field.

NNJLandman
06-22-2004, 10:50 PM
When delivered I have seen sod come on a flat bed rig with a crane type deal on it or one of those fork lift jobs that hang off the back and the unload the pallets like that. When I have done sodding for the guy I work for sometimes it will come on a pallet but once n a while we load the rolls individually into a pickup or something.

Jeff