PDA

View Full Version : JD dealer want even sell me mower for cash

QualityLawnCare4u
06-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Hello. I have posted here in the past about the problems Ive had with local JD dealers even though I have had good luck with mower. In my area we have someof the worst dealers anywhere in the country. Toro dealer that 90% of lco refuse to buy from him, a ferries dealer that is almost as rude as him, a dixie chopper dealer who is so-so but I did not like the chopper. All other dealers over 60 miles away. Six weeks ago today I talked with JD salesmanager on a 737 and agreed of price. I told him to order me one with a 60 inch deck. ok 5 weeks pass and I here nothing till last monday salesperson calls and tells me its in, I asked did it have a 60 deck and he said no 54, I say wrong one, he will have to check o status. Next day I go over to have some minor work done on my 717 and their on the lot sets a new 737 with a 60 deck. I go in to see saleman and he says yeah that came i yersterday afternoon was going to call me. I tell him Im ready to buy and the tech said he would get it put together for me. The saleman then starts him-hawing and says he will have to get with the manager, I told him the manager has already talked with him 6 weeks ago about our agreement. Anyways Im standing there with a check in my hand for 25% and the rest on my business charge card at 5.7 fixed rate same as cash, I could not believe he woud not sell me the ^%$%^ mower. He said he would deliver it that afternoon and that was last monday. I guess Im going to have to find a dealer 100 miles away or so. Im calling the salesmanager back today and tell him about his fine salw staff and deal is off.

Danny

dvmcmrhp52
06-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear of your dealer trouble.
Maybe you should contact deere direct and see what happens?

QualityLawnCare4u
06-21-2004, 03:26 PM
I filed a complaint against one dealer who did not want to work on my under warr. 717 because I did not buy from them, never heard a word from them.

Danny

chuckers
06-21-2004, 04:33 PM
john deere is a fricken joke

RedWingsDet
06-21-2004, 04:39 PM
i heard one dealer tell me that all john deere stuff is, is homelite products that are painted green and yellow with some pretty stickers on em. but he mighta just been trying to sell me his stuff.

chuckers
06-21-2004, 04:40 PM
i heard the same but i am not sure

BCSteel
06-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by PremierLandscaping
i heard one dealer tell me that all john deere stuff is, is homelite products that are painted green and yellow with some pretty stickers on em. but he mighta just been trying to sell me his stuff.

I can believe it. I will never buy from a JD dealer again. All their service reps such where I am and they dont give a rip about their products.

I have had nothing but problems with my JD warrenty work for the past 5 years. No more I tell ya! Next year will be Toro all the way.

chuckers
06-21-2004, 04:47 PM
the only thing they make quality is the big stuff like my grandpas tractors like the big 400+hp diesel and the combines etc the small stuff they created are just to make the farmers happy and really they are just pissing them off

Itsgottobegreen
06-21-2004, 04:52 PM
This is why I bought a Kubota tractor. I bought mine used. But the guy I bought it from, bought it from my dealer. They still did a warranty claim on it. He also offered me more than what I paid for it, on trade in on a bigger kubota. But I decided to get a ASL RC-50.

I like one dealer sales guy's comment. I asked why a JD tractors are better than a Kubota. He answer was because they are green and yellow.

I have a collection of 1960's-1970's john deere lawn tractors. The prices on parts have doubled in the last 10 years.

Steve1
06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, my experience with the local Deere dealers has been totally opposite of what I've read here. They have been most helpful and offering to demo anything I want for as long as I want.

Also, their reputations are very good with a lot of satisfied cutters so it looks like they're doing something right.

Unfortunately, that may not be so around the country. That's too bad because I do believe they make a good product based upon my demo experiences with them.

Mark McC
06-21-2004, 05:39 PM
I've had experience with one John Deere dealer, located in Manassas, VA. Not to name names, but the dealership's name begins with the letter T.

The guy at the parts desk is an utter idiot. Told me he had no sparkplugs for the trimmer I bought there, then said he couldn't look it up. Well, which is it?

Left my L110 there for a problem with the engine shutting down. I pick it up and the blade, which I'd sharpened just before it died on me, looked like they'd used it to mow rocks. Looked at the lawn on their property...looks like a chimp mowed it, scalped to death.

I called John Deere Inc. They were apologetic and so on, but that's it. This organization is run by people who do not give a rat's a** about our industry. I'll never buy Deere products again. In my book, their reputation is little better than dog dirt.

leadarrows
06-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Reynolds JD Farm equipment here in central Indiana has a great reputation. If you count my granddads years of doing business with them were going on over fifty years of doing business with them trouble free. It's not the Company John Deer that is the problem IMO it's just your local dealer.

Shortgrass
06-21-2004, 08:53 PM
I agree totally, leadarrows!! There are two dealers within 35 miles and both make every effort to be sure that I'm satisfied. That means, not only service, but even the simplest questions that may seem trivial to others. Sounds like the local dealer is the problem.

Pecker
06-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Shortgrass
I agree totally, leadarrows!! There are two dealers within 35 miles and both make every effort to be sure that I'm satisfied. That means, not only service, but even the simplest questions that may seem trivial to others. Sounds like the local dealer is the problem.

That's the way I see it too.

BOTURF
06-21-2004, 10:06 PM
sorry leadarrows the reynolds jd dealership in muncie is horrible and they wont cater at all to commercial cutters like me( reynolds has a strangle hold on east central indiana with 3 dealerships ) , used to if i took a mower in there it would take 2 weeks to get it back ( damn idiots ) so thats why i switched to scag and have never looked back. My dealer is mr superent euipment in muncie and they will fix the mower on trailer if they can or will put any commercial cutter ahead of any other machine they working on at the time as they KNOW we are why they are still in business

chuckers
06-21-2004, 10:21 PM
hey bo i was interested in the tiger cub can you pm me or something?

beransfixitinc
06-21-2004, 10:25 PM
I believe the hand held Deere products are made by Homelite. There is much cross over in the hand held industry. EHP encompasses Poulan, PoulanPro, Weedeater, Husqavarna, Sears/Craftsman. Not sure who makes JD wheeled lawn equipment though.

leadarrows
06-21-2004, 10:25 PM
My dad goes to the one in Muncie they have the best parts guy at that store I ever dealt with (Terry). I never had any service there though. Always take stuff to Fishers if I have too let someone else fix something. So I'll take your word for what you say about the Muncie location and steer clear.

HayBay
06-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Glad someone else brought this subject up. I have been hinting at how much I think the dealers around here suck BIG time, but I didn't want to get too excited. Anyhow They all suck. Except for 1 of them , the only b*itch about him I have is that he has not sent me a manual for my Great Dane Mower. Its only been 3-4 months and 6-8 phone calls. I can live with this guy but the rest of them, dam. Him and Haw like you said. Too busy Boozing it up is the problem.

No way to run a business , Like posted above, they only care about the 400,000 - 1 Million dollar Harvesting Machines, not a little joe like me for $20,000.

I hope they all get snow mold the pric*ks.

Thanks for letting me rant.

shepoutside
06-21-2004, 10:53 PM
My JD dealer is not great either, had a few problems with my walk behind, they promise the world, but I got it back, not fix'd, but also with a flat :( is a bit of a drive, wasn't to happy, he said come back in 4 days, they would fix the flat, and smiled and said for free !!!, woopeeee. Was trying to make a deal for a 777 or 797 with a 72 inch deck, but they have never quoted a price, after 3 call backs!! first and last dealing's with them for me.

hartslawnmain
06-21-2004, 10:55 PM
HayBay...you can download the manual at GD's web site. That's all GD is gonna' send ya anyway. I bought a demo and that's what Igot.

DLCS
06-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I never had a problem with my John Deere dealer. The only time I needed warrenty work was on Easter weekend. I dropped my unit off on Saturday morning and asked if they could have it ready for Monday. One of the mechanics said that he would come in on Sunday(which was Easter) and do the repairs. I picked the machine up when they opened on Monday morning. I think that says alot about my dealer. i say you need to find another JD dealer.

fixer67
06-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Well John Deere is moving all there plants to Mexico so if you are going to get a Deere you better get it now. In a few years John Deere will be a joke if they are not careful. I work in a small engine (as I have said) and it is crazy trying to get parts. We are not a JD dealer and I would quit if we were, so they will not deal with us. We have to have the owner go get the parts if they want us to put them on and you would be surprised at the number of people who do that. Even with all the numbers the JD dealer sends the wrong parts 75% of the time. And for get trying to get any type of parts brake down. You could get a IPL of the space shuttle easier. It turn out that when JD buys a motor from lets say B&S or Kaw they will only but it if the OEM for that motor removes all records of that motor from there system. Just try and look up a Kaw motor though Kaw that is on a JD.And of all the equipment that I work on JD has to be by far the hardest to do any work on. It is like they did not ever want it to worked on by any one. And the lay out of controls is a joke. Have you ever seen the key switch location on a JX75 rear engine rider? The blade control blocks the key switch so you can not to it. I am glad some on started this thread on JDs so I could vent my feeling. Even time I see a JD come in to the shop I get sick to my stomach

Burger
06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
I'd rate the JD Dealer here firmly in the middle of the road. The sales folk were ok, but I did not like the product. The Kubota dealer is pretty good, but the parts guy has managed to space a set of blades, I think he quoted me the wrong price on them. 14 bucks a blade seems cheap to me.

DLCS
06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by fixer67
Well John Deere is moving all there plants to Mexico so if you are going to get a Deere you better get it now. In a few years John Deere will be a joke if they are not careful. I work in a small engine (as I have said) and it is crazy trying to get parts. We are not a JD dealer and I would quit if we were, so they will not deal with us. We have to have the owner go get the parts if they want us to put them on and you would be surprised at the number of people who do that. Even with all the numbers the JD dealer sends the wrong parts 75% of the time. And for get trying to get any type of parts brake down. You could get a IPL of the space shuttle easier. It turn out that when JD buys a motor from lets say B&S or Kaw they will only but it if the OEM for that motor removes all records of that motor from there system. Just try and look up a Kaw motor though Kaw that is on a JD.And of all the equipment that I work on JD has to be by far the hardest to do any work on. It is like they did not ever want it to worked on by any one. And the lay out of controls is a joke. Have you ever seen the key switch location on a JX75 rear engine rider? The blade control blocks the key switch so you can not to it. I am glad some on started this thread on JDs so I could vent my feeling. Even time I see a JD come in to the shop I get sick to my stomach

I've always got my parts from JD the next day and never got the wrong parts. But I go to a actual JD dealer to buy my parts for my JDs. I've never found a JD hard to work on. If JD makes you sick to your stomach, why even work on them? Must be cause you not a dealer and have a hard time getting parts.

Joe Bob
06-22-2004, 01:21 AM
I have bought alot of stuff over the years from Reynolds in Fishers,IN. By far the best dealership from Farm equipment and skid steers to turf equip I've ever dealt with. Sales, parts, and service is second to none. Service is what sells!

QualityLawnCare4u
06-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks for replys, as I finished typing this the salesperson had called and left message on voice mail, had left for the day when I called back. As was said here, the dealer can make ANY product good or bad We have a toro dealer that is so bad that he has lost almost all of the big lco who used to buy from him, I think Im going to pass on the mower the way it has been handled even though I like the mower unless salesperson does some real serious kissing up LOL BTW I rode thru our 2 redlight town today and saw that a small hardware store was selling Hustler superZs, were sitting out front next to their poulan moweres, now this ought to be some good service here,sign says will work on any mower. If I ever find a good dealer I dont care what he sells he has me as a customer for life.

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

gl1200a
06-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Well John Deere is moving all there plants to Mexico so if you are going to get a Deere you better get it now.

I have lived my life in the midst of the majority of John Deere plants here in Iowa and there has never been any hint at all of any plants closing and moving to Mexico. I love gossip.

QuikKutLawn
06-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Deere is not moving all it's plants to Mexico. The Deere commercial mowers are made at a factory just south of Raleigh North Carolina, I've even toured it a couple of times. And no the hand held product is not Homelite painted a different color. The problem as I see it is that Deere offers everything from residential grade to industrial grade equipment. I see threads about guys using L110 lawn tractors that they purchased at Home Depot for $1300 and expecting it to hold up like a $5000 commercial mower. I hear some people saying they have problems with the local dealer. Keep in mind, that a local dealer is a private businessman, much like we are. How many times do we complain about a PITA customer? It's no different for the JD dealer. He is trying to put food on the table just like we are. I have had nothing but good relationships with Deere dealers from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and now North Carolina, maybe I'm just lucky. I have met with Deere product managers and have used some of their proto-type machines. They do care about us and our industry, in fact my experience shows that Deere bends over backwards to satisfy their customers. There have been numerous threads on this site where a JD rep has driven hundreds of miles for demo's or to try and make a customer happy.

As far as parts, I signed up with my dealer and can order the parts myself online. The parts ship next day to my shop and the dealer bills me. I have also worked on machines my entire life and do not agree that Deere machines are the hardest to work on. If someone wants to rant, that's fine, but I wanted to make sure everyone that has had good experiences with JD equipment has an equal say... Not throwing stones, just relating my experiences.

DLCS
06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by QuikKutLawn
Deere is not moving all it's plants to Mexico. The Deere commercial mowers are made at a factory just south of Raleigh North Carolina, I've even toured it a couple of times. And no the hand held product is not Homelite painted a different color. The problem as I see it is that Deere offers everything from residential grade to industrial grade equipment. I see threads about guys using L110 lawn tractors that they purchased at Home Depot for $1300 and expecting it to hold up like a $5000 commercial mower. I hear some people saying they have problems with the local dealer. Keep in mind, that a local dealer is a private businessman, much like we are. How many times do we complain about a PITA customer? It's no different for the JD dealer. He is trying to put food on the table just like we are. I have had nothing but good relationships with Deere dealers from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and now North Carolina, maybe I'm just lucky. I have met with Deere product managers and have used some of their proto-type machines. They do care about us and our industry, in fact my experience shows that Deere bends over backwards to satisfy their customers. There have been numerous threads on this site where a JD rep has driven hundreds of miles for demo's or to try and make a customer happy.

As far as parts, I signed up with my dealer and can order the parts myself online. The parts ship next day to my shop and the dealer bills me. I have also worked on machines my entire life and do not agree that Deere machines are the hardest to work on. If someone wants to rant, that's fine, but I wanted to make sure everyone that has had good experiences with JD equipment has an equal say... Not throwing stones, just relating my experiences.

Good Post!

QuikKutLawn,

Does Deere offer tours to the general public of its plant near Raleigh? I was just curious cause I'm going to be in North Carolina this fall and would like to get a tour.

QuikKutLawn
06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Normally they will give tours to anyone that wants one, but it needs to be arranged through your dealer. The plant is in a small town called Fuquay Varina, on NC HWY55 about 30 minutes south of Raleigh. The only problem is sometimes they can't give tours because of proto-type machines being built...

gl1200a
06-22-2004, 02:51 PM
This is like many other postings in here asking for opinions on any subject or product. You will always find people that have had good experiences and bad experiences with any customer, product or trade. I respect everyone's opinion on here and dread seeing a new topic that starts out... "I need someone's advice on..."

Norm Al
06-22-2004, 06:19 PM
JD is geared towards the homeowner NOT the professional!

dvmcmrhp52
06-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Norm Al
JD is geared towards the homeowner NOT the professional!

Only recently have they even been much focused in the homeowner market.

I was involved in the prototyping of the JD L series riding mowers,
It was their real jump into trying to take a market share of the joe homeowner market.
Obviously there were plenty of homeowners using JD equipment,but it wasn't average joe.................

txlawnking
06-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah JD has always sold "rich homeowner" products. And fixer said it right, it seems that JD intentionally makes everthing from looking up parts to repairing the equipt. exceedingly difficult. They make some OK equip., But personnally I wouldn't own one.

fixer67
06-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by DLCS
I've always got my parts from JD the next day and never got the wrong parts. But I go to a actual JD dealer to buy my parts for my JDs. I've never found a JD hard to work on. If JD makes you sick to your stomach, why even work on them? Must be cause you not a dealer and have a hard time getting parts.

Well the reason I work on them is the shop I work in tells me to, no choice. Maybe if there was a JD dealer that was worth a darn around here it would be different when it comes to getting parts. But on that note if there was one around here them people would not be bring them to the shop I work at in the first place. I am glad to hear that you have not had any trouble working on JDs. When you have to unbolt and remove the hood just to check the spark plug or remove half the machine to do something simple every time it gets to you after a while. Now I hear that the JD that makes the big farm tractors and the JD that makes the lawn tractors and garden tractors are not the same. There may be something to that

DLCS
06-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by fixer67
Now I hear that the JD that makes the big farm tractors and the JD that makes the lawn tractors and garden tractors are not the same. There may be something to that

Well, we are talking JD commercial mowers here not lawn tractors. Yes, JD makes their own commercial mowers.

thill
06-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Went to our local JD deal one time.

RUDE!!! RUDE!!! RUDE!!!

Never went back.

Tom

BALDEAGLE
06-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by QuikKutLawn
And no the hand held product is not Homelite painted a different color. [/B]

so who does make deere's handheld stuff these days? seems to change from time to time...:confused: lowest bidder?

Mindless
06-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Write letter to Better Business Bureau detailing your disatisfaction with local JD dealer. Info/send copies of letter to JD Mfgr and your community Chamber of Commerce. Your experience with trying to buy particular JD product and receiving that level of customer service is unacceptable. A letter to the BBB will definitely get JD's attention. Good luck and I hope that you have already or will soon make purchase without all the bull$h*t.

QuikKutLawn
06-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Deere has used the same handheld for about 6 years now... At least in their professional line, not the stuff that was at Home Depot for a couple of years.