PDA

View Full Version : Wall

grassyfras
06-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Im putting in a bid for my first wall for a customer who knows I'm new at all this. I have done smaller walls nothing like this. I checked out the laws and you dont need a permit if its no more then 2' high. Heres the specs: 100'x2' high. Im using Keystones Builder Mini Unit which are 4"hx 18"l. Using keystones chart it says that I need about 400 of these which will make it 6 courses high. These blocks costs 3.30 a peice which turns out to be about $1300. Does that all seem right so far? Then I'm filing in the area thats 4 feet wide to a fence with some 3/4 clean gravel(also using it for backfill) and bringing in topsoil to fill the last foot or so and mulching. The base i'll be using is 3/4 minus. Im going to clear the footing out about 18 inches and fill with the 3/4 minus and use a plate compactor that will put me back about 90 bucks for the day. Im having one other guy help me with this and were splitting everything 50/50 and asking for 25% down. Ill be charginf $4900 for the job and from what others have told me it should take us about 4 days to do working 8 hours. What do you all think. AM I out of my league with pricing and time?

odorisio
06-21-2004, 03:03 PM
recently did a 90 foot wall over here. i was suppose to be jsut helping out a guy, turned out i did all the work he had no clue. so a few pointers. and i am not an expert, but here is some stuff that is still fresh in my head.

1. get a laser transit, WELL WORTH IT. go out there and shoot your grade to figure out how much you will have to excavate, for our site it was a 1 foot drop over 60 foot of length, grade can be decieving.

2. dont forget to put landscape fabric in the trench before you lay your base material.

3. when you lay your first course use a small 1 foot level (torpedeo (spelling)) and level both side to side and front to back as well as in relation to the next course, then ever 5 to 6 feet level the whole course.

4. remember to leave a spot in the wall to place your drainage pipe.

5. AIM SMALL MISS SMALL!!!! this is the most important, NEVER try to rush and cut corners, if you are more tedious with the excavation and get it within a half inch of level with the transit, you will have less problems when you lay your base material.

as far as your bid, sounds like 4 8hr days will do it for you, im rather ambitious and had our wall finished in 2 days, (i worked 13 the first and 11 the second) but again we had a mini X for the excavation.

our bid turned out to be materials *2, our materials were 4500 and the bid total was 9000.

D Felix
06-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Mark up the materials, even if its just 10%.

Don't forget about the time you spend running around picking things up for the job.

On the base course, level EVERY block with a torpedo level, making sure it is level with the last block. The base course will take THE ABSOLUTE longest of anything, and is pretty much a one person job. Use a deadblow hammer to aid in setting the blocks.

Drain pipe goes behind the base course, on top of the compacted gravel base. Keep the gravel backfill separated from the soil with fabric.

Don't forget about sales tax.

I don't remember the specs on those walls, but do specs for those blocks allow 7 courses? Remember you have to have the base course buried....

Dan

geoscaper
06-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Does anyone else ever seem like they always underbid wall jobs. I bet 90% of wall jobs that I do take longer than expected, and I make less $ than anticipated.

grassyfras
06-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Odorisio-Everything you said I was told by the guy where I'm buying the materials from and definitly keeping those in mind. The Torpedo Level is a good idea im going to have to get that. For a 90" wall 4500 worht of material seems high but I guess I dont know anything about walls. How tall was the wall?J/w

D Felix- I decided to only do it 6 courses total so i'm not too close to needing a permit for the 2 foot rule around here. How does my estimate for blocks sound, unit wise?

grassyfras
06-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Ok guys I did some more number crunching and came up with this. I estimate about $500 worth of gravel/base/and backfill/topsoil/mulch/drainage pipe/fabric. and 1739 worht of blocks with a few extras just in case. all with a 10% mark up. I then times all of that by 2.5 and came up with $6,222.50. I think that sounds like a much nicer number. If I dont get the job thats fine there will be more. This lady was refered to me from my dad who works with her so she knows everything well. Thanks for the great advice as always.

odorisio
06-22-2004, 06:46 PM
4500 was a 90 foot wall 3 foot high, and 460 sqfoot of pavers,

our base material and 57 stone for backfill was about 700.

good luck..... stick to the rule of aim small, miss small, and you will do good. every extra step to make sure you are level goes a LONG way.