PDA

View Full Version : Best "bang for the buck" commercial handheld blower?

The C Man
06-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Opinions please. I'd like to pick up a Shindaiwa EB240, but I don't feel like dropping $300 on one, and was wondering which other ones you've found to be decent blowers for a good price.

chuckers
06-21-2004, 05:03 PM
stihl bg65 is a great one.

TEG
06-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Stihl IMO. Others might say echo. I just bought a stihl backpack and I love it.

Mark McC
06-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Is it really worth $300 for a handheld blower? There are pretty decent backpack blowers for not much more.

What do you want the handheld for? If you're just using it for small jobs here and there, maybe you'd be better off with one of those $100 jobbies. Yeah, they burn out faster, but three times faster?

impactlandscaping
06-21-2004, 05:29 PM
I have 2 Shin EB 240's, and they do a great job for what they are used for.As far as 3 bills, I think they are around 229.00 or less here at my dealer.Remember, you get what you pay for.If you want it to last, buy it once.

Mark McC
06-21-2004, 05:33 PM
I don't disagree with you on paying for equipment to last, I just am not sure I'd cough up that much for a handheld. On the other hand, it might make sense for me to get one. Some of my jobs really don't call for lugging that backpack unit around.

Dstosh
06-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I second that i dont think the eb 240's are 300 I paid 199 for mine but that was at the end of the season, so i think about 229 sounds right, It has been an excellent purchase for me, it takes a beating but it still starts on the first pull, Get it once, Get a Shindaiwa

impactlandscaping
06-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mark McC
I don't disagree with you on paying for equipment to last, I just am not sure I'd cough up that much for a handheld. On the other hand, it might make sense for me to get one. Some of my jobs really don't call for lugging that backpack unit around.

Mark, I don't let my guys tear up my 500.00 backpacks for lawn maintenance.They only go on the trailer in the fall.The handhelds are great for blowing walks and patios, and like Dstosh said, they can take a beating, and then some. One of mine was ran over by the trailer and still runs.A $4.00 plastic part for the carb to mount the body is all that broke. It just depends on the areas you are clearing, but the EB's have great CFM for a handheld IMO.

Mark McC
06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
I'll keep that in mind, although I have to admit that I'm not really budgeted for another blower at the moment.

Still, I have an old handheld that I could clean up and use. It'd beat the heck out of lugging that Echo BP 403 around. Thanks for the idea, guys.

The C Man
06-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Well for $200 I'll definitely reconsider the Shin. My dealer won't budge on price though.... any thoughts on where to pick one up online for close to that price?

samk
06-21-2004, 06:47 PM
I think I bought my echo for 159.00. If youre just looking to blow drivways and walkways and such you cant go wrong. If youre looking for a handheld to be simialar to a backpack then you need to spend alot more money or buy another backpack

gene gls
06-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Echo PB 210 E, best balanced and most comfortable blower to use. CFM is comparable to other makes and under $300.00....

Gene

Rather Be Fishing
06-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by The C Man
Well for $200 I'll definitely reconsider the Shin. My dealer won't budge on price though.... any thoughts on where to pick one up online for close to that price?

C Man, one of my local dealers has the Shin for $2-225 if you're in the central part of the state shoot me a PM and I can dig out their phone #. I was going to try one if I bought an eXmark from them but ended up going with a different make at a different dealership. For a handheld I went with the ever trusty Echo PB210e. They're rugged and have enough power for most of my needs. My first one ran about $240 in 1990, got my newest for $275.

BTW, does Echo make any other products that still carry their signature orange and black color scheme?

prizeprop
06-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Bought a hand held Stihl about 7 years ago thinking it would be good for blowing grass off walks and such. Thought it would be nice not to have to wear that backpack in the heat. Used it a couple days and thought this would be nice to blow dust out of the garage and gave it to my brother for his garage. Dont waste your money.

TXLAWNBOY
06-21-2004, 11:23 PM
My 18 year old Echo PB210E is the Sh!t and wanted to stay w/that model but a little pricey for me so I went w/the Shiny EB240's I like them, good power for the money I paid $199 for each of the two I have.

moneyman
06-22-2004, 01:58 AM
I have an echo pb-200 paid $150 for it. Works well.

allstar
06-22-2004, 09:11 AM
I like having a handheld blower because sometimes,for small jobs,I don't want to bother with strapping on a bp blower.My $99 Craftsman is perfect for those situations.
Anybody who does a decent amount of work really needs a backpack,IMO.

smullen
09-10-2005, 01:14 AM
I have 2 Shin EB 240's, and they do a great job for what they are used for.As far as 3 bills, I think they are around 229.00 or less here at my dealer.Remember, you get what you pay for.If you want it to last, buy it once.

Yea, I think your pretty close... I picked up a new EB240S today for 215.00 Tax and all...

My 1st Blower... :blush:

So, I stoped by a local dealer today (Scott's Lawn Equiptment) as I wanted to pick up a Redmax handheld as I have always liked their stuff and just bought a Max trimmer.. They didn't have any Redmax handhelds in and
He said he could have it in like 2-3 days or I could look at a Shindaiwa, if I wanted...

I really wanted to pick up a Blower today as I have a few yards lined up for tommorow and I'd need something... So, I tried out the Shindaiwa in their lot for a few, seemed ok and actually had better specs than the Red Max for 100.00 more... So I got it... I'm sure some hate it and I'm sure some love it... It was sort of an impluse by as I needed something.. We'll see how it goes...

Envy Lawn Service
09-10-2005, 01:48 AM
I have an Echo handheld also and it works well for daily every stop use.
But I will be replacing it with a Stihl 85 blower.
I think the 85 is the strongest handheld on the market.... 459cfm-183mph

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BG85.html

I only bought the Echo because at that time I liked the shape of their tube better.
But I can tell you it is nowhere near the Stihl specs.
With Echo, you would have to go to a 600 series backpack to get that much power.

ITL
09-10-2005, 02:10 AM
We purchased the Redmax EBZ 2500 handheld for $199 which works nice for the single residentials. Our second choice was the Stihl BG85 at $219. Both seemed to have good performance for handheld. Chose the Redmax over Stihl for two reasons. $20 less expensive and the stratocharged engine on Redmax over the conventional 2 cycle with catalyitic muffler on Stihl. Fuel consumption is lower with Redmax stratocharged engine. A side note we still bring out the Redmax 8000 backpack when we have 2 or more residentials at same stop to save time over handheld.

GarPA
09-10-2005, 04:44 AM
I have an Echo handheld also and it works well for daily every stop use.
But I will be replacing it with a Stihl 85 blower.
I think the 85 is the strongest handheld on the market.... 459cfm-183mph

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BG85.html

I only bought the Echo because at that time I liked the shape of their tube better.
But I can tell you it is nowhere near the Stihl specs.
With Echo, you would have to go to a 600 series backpack to get that much power.

last year my Echo handheld was stolen so I bought a Stihl 85...great handheld blower. Never owned any Stihl 2 cycle except for a chainsaw but I have to say that Stihl does a few little things that show they really know how to design equipment such as a fuel cap that inserts INTO the tank, not over it like Echo (echo gas caps just plain suk) The on/off switch is covered by a see thru cap. MOre than once I had lost the on/off switch when the screw came loose on the Echo hheld. I still am happy with my other Echo stuff including a backpack blower but will always now look at Stihl because of these little things they do well that makes day to day use easier.

nobagger
09-10-2005, 10:33 AM
My Echo is pretty powerfull, I think its a PB200. It does ok, its not my Echo PB651H but its good on fuel and its light. I paid $190.00 for the PB200 and I think around $475.00 for the PB651H.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I have a stihl handheld that was 159 that works fine for most jobs (except large leaf removal). However, for 299 you can get a echo pb403 BP blower or you could a few months ago. I had one that was a farily decent machine but quickly traded up to a pb603 for leaf removal.

dcplace2004
09-11-2005, 03:01 AM
it has 459 cfm at end of the big round tube...it is the most powerful HH blower...don't be fooled into thinking deadmax is better, cause it is not...I tried them all and the BG85C beat them all...the "C" is the easier to start model...look for this one or have them order it with the C...no other HH has 459 cfm at the tube--none even close...it is 2 cycle also--not that I don't own 4-mix...volume is what you want, then MPH...if you have any questions about this machine please ask me personally...

Envy Lawn Service
09-11-2005, 03:08 AM
it has 459 cfm at end of the big round tube...it is the most powerful HH blower...don't be fooled into thinking deadmax is better, cause it is not...I tried them all and the BG85C beat them all...the "C" is the easier to start model...look for this one or have them order it with the C...no other HH has 459 cfm at the tube--none even close...it is 2 cycle also--not that I don't own 4-mix...volume is what you want, then MPH...if you have any questions about this machine please ask me personally...

Yeah, I didn't want to be the one to throw that up :p

But yes, Stihl rates their blower CFM fairly... with the tubes ON!
Meanwhile, some 'other' MFG's rate their blower CFM without the tubes.
Who in the heck uses their blower without the tubes????

Well except me... to blown myself off after the job :blush:
But I can tell you now... not enough MPH to matter about CFM without the tubes.