PDA

View Full Version : hiring a friend

bobbygedd
06-21-2004, 03:52 PM
thinking back a few yrs..........i had this friend(yea i know, you don't believe i have friends). he and i would do things like fishin, drinkin beer, hang out, whatever. if he needed a ride, or help with something, i'd help him. if i needed help, like wiring my trailer for the boat, or a mechanical problem, or putting in the air conditioner, he'd help me. it worked out very nicely. well, one day he asked if i could hire him, he needed a job. of course i said yes. our friendship took a drastic turn from that point on. it seemed that now our usual "exchange of favors" turned into hours on the payroll. i needed my boat trailer rewired, he expected now to be on the timeclock. i needed work done on the car, it was now on the timeclock. he seemed to think now that everything he did for me, he was to be paid for, yet my usual taxi service, and usual favors, etc was still considered a favor, like before. needless to say, our relationship has never been the same since then. he worked for me for one season. how did it end? he needed a ride to the doctor, i told him , " that will be $20. payment in advance required. " he looked at me confused, then said, "huh? what do you mean? i don't have $20." so i drove off and left him sitting there. i was perfectly willing and able to separate work issues from personal ones, apparently he wasn't. ever hire a friend? how did it turn out?

seven-up
06-21-2004, 04:01 PM
I've always tried to keep business and personal lives separate. You can't be friends with the boss. It just don't work out. Reason I've never hired a friend is because I've seen similar situations to yours, and of course they never worked out. I don't want to be in that situation.

RobH
06-21-2004, 04:05 PM
I've found that as soon as you enter money into the equation that friendship automatically changes to a business relationship. Money will often times screw up a friendship.

Money is so evil between friends.

Like seven-up says, it is best to keep business and personal lives separate. It is definitely not always easy to do.

BCSteel
06-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I have found that if you are friends first, you will probably have problems like Bobbys. But if you become friends on the job, it usually works out better because there is more separation of work and play. At least thats how its worked for me.

all degree
06-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Believe it or not I have friends that ask to come out an cut with me b/c they think its fun to operate the mowers. One comes out pretty regularly on Saturdays when I am behind and runs a mower and loves it. I usually by him a case of Geary's but it works out great for me.

I do get a little nervous though b/c he is a little sketchy with the mower.

dvmcmrhp52
06-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Don't do it!

Your experience is exactly why.
It always seems to change the equation.

leadarrows
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
99 times out of a hundred it will work out just the way it did for Bobby. Odds are you don't get a good employee and you lose a friend. Bad deal I say.
Now having said that I have a friend that has been working for me on weekends for five years and so far so good......but this guy is not your average Joe. He helped my wife and I for free the first year we were in business just because he is a friend and he knew we really needed help but because of start up costs we couldn't afford help. You gotta love friends like that.
AND if a friend like that wants to work part time for pay later on.... you give them the job. Mostly though I have to vote against it. I have another friend that owns his own business as well and he hired all friends too work for him and it was one disaster after another. I heard how they bad mouthed him behind his back ....almost got into a fight with one of them over it but he shut his trap when I told him too. I was disappointed. LOL

rodfather
06-21-2004, 05:32 PM
"Friends" and "Business" just don't seem to mix well bg...been like that for centuries.

fga
06-21-2004, 08:07 PM
i'm always considering going partners with a friend of mine who also has a lawncare biz. he's a good friend, and I've been told too many times that friends will be lost in the end, so I don't.

what about family? is that totally different? My brother worked great for for 5 years until this year, but my cousin who I hired and I don't speak anymore. similar..........

tiedeman
06-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I hired on two friends over the years, the first one I just stopped calling him for work, and the second one...well lets just say he didn't like taking orders so away he went

TClawn
06-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by fga
i'm always considering going partners with a friend of mine who also has a lawncare biz. he's a good friend, and I've been told too many times that friends will be lost in the end, so I don't.

what about family? is that totally different? My brother worked great for for 5 years until this year, but my cousin who I hired and I don't speak anymore. similar..........

NEVER hire family. its even worse than hiring a friend!

EastProLawn
06-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Business and pleasure just are not a good mix. It takes a very strong person to be able to understand the difference and keep the two seperate. I have yet to meet such a person. First rule of business, never hire family or friends. It's not only bad for you, but it can suck for them as well. Sometimes we can take advantage of the situation and that's not fair to them and the same can happen to us. Keep business as business, Plain & simple.

alpine692003
06-21-2004, 09:50 PM
my workers are my friends and brother..

it's been going on for 4 months now..

I guess i'll see how it turns out, so far we're all happy..

J and M Mowing
06-22-2004, 10:30 PM
NEVER hire friends...it's easier to fire them if they don't work out. In most cases...it won't.