PDA

View Full Version : Is "trilliun" A Safe Product?

cenlo
06-21-2004, 05:27 PM
When I purchased my franchise, the owner told me that he has a ground water safe, biodegradable herbicide. He said that on toxicity scale caffeine is stronger. I was told the product was very safe and that it just happens to be on the "pesticide" side of the fence. Here's what is on the label:

TRILLIUN
Liquid turf herbicide
Commercial

Reg. # 18963
Pest control product act

Guarantee
2,4-D (isomer specific).............190g/L
Mecoprop (d-isomer)...............100g/L
Dicamba....................................18g/L
All present as dimethyl amines

Hazardous Ingredients (LD50)
2,4D...............................................1420 mg/kg 19%
2-propanoic acid (Mecoprop)............650 mg/kg 10%
Dicamba.........................................1039 mg/kg 1.8%

Plant Products Co. Ltd
314 Orenda Road
Brampton, Ontario
L6T 1G1

I'm wondering if I have been misled. Is this product safe?

I don't use and chemicals in my program, but the franchisor is recommending the above product.

Thanks, in advance Don

Grassmechanic
06-22-2004, 08:15 AM
It's what is referred to as a "three-way" herbicide. Similiar to Trimec, Weed-be-Gone, Triplet, etc. Definately a herbicide. You have been misled to believe that it is safer than caffiene. If you don't use chemicals, then you don't want to use it.

cenlo
06-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Can you provide any proof that caffiene is safer. Or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks, Don

Grassmechanic
06-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Well, Don, by comparison, you can drink a cup of caffiene, with little side effects. Take and drink a cup of three-way and let me know what happens.....

dan deutekom
06-23-2004, 06:20 PM
I hate these type of comparisons. There is a big difference between a cup of caffeine, a cup of coffee, a cup of three way and a cup of three way mixed up for spraying. Caffeine in itself is a very powerful and toxic drug but in the parts per million in a cup of coffee it isn't to dangerous. A cup of pure caffeine would probably kill you. If you had the same amount of three way as caffeine in the cup of coffee you probably wouldn't even taste a difference let alone feel any effects. Remember that the LD50 values are usually based on the pure product.

Another thing to remember there is also a big difference between toxic and carcinogenic. All poisons have to be toxic or they wouldn't be a poison. But not all carcinogenic material is toxic