PDA

View Full Version : starting up with a backpack

trying 2b organic
06-21-2004, 05:57 PM
My business mostly does maintenance, fert and aerations. I want to get my licence so I can truly be full service. I would like to start small for weed control and avoid buying a tank if at all possible. Even if it means a little more work for me. If I am doing 5 lawns a day, spot treating with a post emerg like Killex once a yr for a total of 50 customers can I get away with a backback with a good high vel nozzle??

ty very much for the help on this. I really want to get my licence but am still new and am paying off equipment.

P.S. my supplier has Killex but where I used to work we used Par3. Is Killex as good?

BCSteel
06-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Killex and par III are the same thing. They have the same active ingredients except that Killex is more diluted than par III. Makes it safer for the home owners that way.

You still need your pesticide liscence to spray anything if you are doing it for any type of compensation (money).

trying 2b organic
06-21-2004, 06:36 PM
I know, Im definatly getting my licence, wont touch it till then. Ill do it at the Turfgrass Conference in Feb in Victoria and hope to see you there. What can you tell me about how much I can expect to get done wtih just a backpack if I start small next yr.

This is the early stages of a fesability study to see if I will expand my product offering NEXT season. ty

TSM
06-21-2004, 08:15 PM
I started my business with a push spreader and a backpack sprayer.
you will need to walk over the lawn twice (once to feed then again for weed control) but for 50 accounts not a big deal. And actually you will find homeowners enjoy the fact that you are on their property a bit longer than a larger company....makes them feel special, and this will help you grow your customer count.

or check out the link. you can attach this to any push spreader and spot treat weeds AS YOU FEED the lawn to speed up your time spent on the lawn. This could mean you'll have more time for sales.
http://www.ride-onspreader.com/Accessories/accessories.aspx?ID=3&Index=2

BCSteel
06-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by trying 2b organic
I know, Im definatly getting my licence, wont touch it till then. Ill do it at the Turfgrass Conference in Feb in Victoria and hope to see you there. What can you tell me about how much I can expect to get done wtih just a backpack if I start small next yr.

This is the early stages of a fesability study to see if I will expand my product offering NEXT season. ty

I already have my pesticide certificate, 5 year, 95%. Dont worry about the test, its pretty easy. I'd say that it is about 75% saftey and 20% math and 5% other. I took the three day course before the test and it helped a lot because otherwise you dont really know where to start with the books that you need. There is a lot of info in them.

Last year I did 18 strata complexes and 40 houses, solo, all with an spo back pack sprayer and a 3 nozzle boom. That boom is a real time saver. It can cover the path of three passes with a 21" mower, or about 60" at a time. Spraying weeds is not a problem with the bp sprayer because you can use pretty low volume nozzles and not have to pump your arm off.

Etlawn
06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
You can do it with a back pack no problem.....I personally dont like the "push and squirt" spreaders from Perma Green...I think they are too bulky and heavy when filled with weed control. For me they are hard to get used to and you still have to use a squirt bottle for areas around landscape....I vote back pack all the way!
Good luck

trying 2b organic
06-21-2004, 09:33 PM
ty very very much, awsome help. After reading your post I wonder if i should take the course. I was just going to write it but now I'll take the course if I can.
I know I will find out on my own, (but I just read something that made me anxious to know) Here in B.C. do we just post as we spray? We dont have to post a day early or anything do we? The windshield time will kill me.

grugreen
06-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Is anyone familiar with the 9gal drop in sprayer from gregson clark ? this looks handy but maybe bulky to push around . also bc steel what is the 3nozzle back pack sprayer you referred to? I am looking for something similar to the perma green side mount option. Have skid sprayer in truck now but have several lawns i have to reelup hose and move and this looks like a good option. Any feed back, Thanks

BCSteel
06-28-2004, 01:22 AM
The boom is made by the same company as the SP sprayers, SP systems. I think that you can find it in the Ritten house catalogue. I think thats what its called. Maybe they have a web site? I dont know. I'll check it out.

HayBay
07-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Rittenhouse has the boom sprayers for 70$ Canadian. Comes with 3 .3gallon nozzles. I purchase that on BCSteels advice. also picked up extra nozzles at .2Gallons. Covers way better than single nozzle. Thanks BC.

BCSteel
07-06-2004, 12:10 AM
I use mostly the .2 nozzles. They are much easier to keep the pressure up with than the .3's. The .3's, you have to pump like hell just to get enough pressure coming through to keep a good spray pattern but the .2's its just a steady pumping, nothing to hard.

I paid $70 for mine to from my dealer. Glad it worked out good for you!

gunslinger
04-12-2009, 10:35 AM
backpack sprayer it is along with the liscence

Young Bros
04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Killex and par III are the same thing. They have the same active ingredients except that Killex is more diluted than par III. Makes it safer for the home owners that way.

You still need your pesticide liscence to spray anything if you are doing it for any type of compensation (money).

In my state you need a fertilizer dealer license to spread fert on a customers lawn. Let alone the spraying license to spray.