PDA

View Full Version : How to stop a thief

J&R
06-21-2004, 07:04 PM
This past Sunday about 9 AM i was cutting a Comm. Account. I see a red pickup truck going around the block. I keep a eye on them as they pull up beside my Van and trailer and stop. I was on my Lazer Z and got over there fast and see one white guy with his hands on my Red Max trimmer in the trimmer rack. I pull out a 38 Smith& Wesson and fire one shot less than 6 in from his foot He turns and looks at me and shouts please don't kill me. I just had too let you know the good guy wins sometime.

bayoulawn
06-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Why were you off 6 inches on the horizontal and 4 feet off on the vertical?

GeeVee
06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

You ride your Z packing all the time?

J&R
06-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I just wanted to put the fear of GOD in him not kill him.

lawnman_scott
06-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Was it the brightest thing to do? Maybe in north georgia, but here I beleive the customer might be a bit irritated.

J&R
06-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
Was it the brightest thing to do? Maybe in north georgia, but here I beleive the customer might be a bit irritated. The customer said i guess they wont be back around to steal anything here for a long time. If i had a drop with me that SOB would be pushing up daisy.

Trevors Lawn Care
06-21-2004, 07:46 PM
i woulda beat the living hell out of him for even thinking of it. He knows never to try and steal from you again, but i gurantee he will try elsewhere.

It is virtually impossible to get caught stealing from a trailer.

Trevor

Potchkins
06-21-2004, 07:49 PM
congrats on the good job stoping him

leadarrows
06-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by bayoulawn
Why were you off 6 inches on the horizontal and 4 feet off on the vertical?

Most likely he didn't want to go to prison for murder. You can't kill someone for simple theft. I personally don't care but the law dose. I don't know about your state but here in Indiana discharging a weapon like that with out legal grounds is a class D felony ...criminal recklessness. You have to feel like and be able to prove your life is in danger to even pull a piece on someone.
I don't agree with it but you all better be careful or some thief will end up being the states star wittiness against YOU! BS I know but thatís the world we live in.

beransfixitinc
06-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Protection of self or personal property.. seems like a fairly legal discharge to me. Long as he has a liscence

leadarrows
06-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Like I said life or limb of you or some one else must be threatened. I can show you the paper work when I was arrested for that very thing if you like. I got a good lawyer and got out of it but it cost me a night in jail and $3000.00 in legal fees for shooting 22 bird shot in the air while running off a trespasser that was doing donuts with his car in my barn yard in 1991. The guy got pulled over for speeding a mile down the road and told the cops I shot at him. They arrested me at gun point with the hammers back. The trespasser was there star witness and if not for my lawyer and a sensible judge I would have gone to jail for at least a year. It's bad advise telling these kids on here it's ok to shoot at people for any thing less than defense of there lives.

I would just as soon not told this story but the issue is too important not to give warning of what could happen.

Precision
06-22-2004, 12:01 AM
maybe in texas you can get away with that. When I lived there I know the rules were a little lax. In Florida, (we also have lax gun laws) they frown highly on discharge of a firearm in residential areas.

Property be damned, if you (or someone else) were not in imminent danger then you go to jail. I think the quote is "tell it to the judge."

will you get away with it, maybe. But what goes up does come down and what is fired down often bounces up. or into little Tina on the tricyle 3 blocks away.

If you are going to draw, be ready to shot. If you shot you had better be aiming to kill. And if you do you better be able to justify it, well.

nelbuts
06-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Actually it is not a legal discharge of a firearm. I am an NRA member and have carried a concealed carry permit for ten years. In order to discharge a firearm you must feel that your life is in immediate danger. There are no exceptions. Now you can draw your gun and hold the POS for the police and that would be legal. But don't pull that trigger unless you fear for your life and then make sure you hit your mark so there will be no one to dispute your words.

geogunn
06-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by J&R
I just had too let you know the good guy wins sometime.

J&R--good for you. there have been some plusses and minuses in the response to your post.

I personally believe you might have felt that you were actually threatened by the thief and in fear for your life before you popped the cap.

and that fear changes things...maybe.

GEO

Nova
06-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Only in America.

J&R
06-22-2004, 12:32 AM
When i called the police they came out and made a report on what took place. I told them i shot one time near his foot. They said you can't shoot inside the city it's the LAW. I told them what about that SOB that tryed to steal for me. What about that Law. Also if any of you can run there tag Red small truck with Hamilton Country Tn L?X 193. The police here wont help.

BCSteel
06-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Nova
Only in America.

Aint that the truth.

J&R
06-22-2004, 12:43 AM
I could just pop a cap in the thief and the drive and got away with it. Just go over put the truck in reverse and say i was about to get run over.