PDA

View Full Version : Rough Cut Update

Trevors Lawn Care
06-21-2004, 07:48 PM
I posted a while back about my gravely 144z having a rough cut. It is leaving about a two inch strip uncut, just inside the right front tire.

after checking air pressure, blade height, spacers, sharp blades, and clean deck....

I noticed when looking underneath the mower that the center spindle sometimes will vibrate really bad, but then others be smooth like butter. (there were no blades on the mower). think this could have anything to do with it?

I really dont want to make the call to the dealer to take it in, because i know i wouldnt have it back for a while, and this is my only mower...and i service weekly

Trevor

viking72
06-21-2004, 08:31 PM
The spindle bearing is bad.

Later,
Doug

Trevors Lawn Care
06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Thats the conclusion we came up with..Know how long it takes to fix? or is it simply a take in to the dealer type job?

trevor?

Mowingman
06-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Those are sealed, so you just replace the whole spindle assembly. It takes about 30 min. to change one out. Ok, maybe 45 min. the first time. It will be under warranty if it is less than 2 years old.

chuckers
06-21-2004, 09:25 PM
take it in and get a mower to use while it is in the shop imo

Trevors Lawn Care
06-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by chuckers
take it in and get a mower to use while it is in the shop imo

man...i wish it would be that easy...but somehow..for some reason... i have a feeling this guy wont do that for me...

I bought this equipment based on price...This was before i was graced with the knowledge of lawnsite, and had NO idea how important dealer service is...I am going to make an appointment and take it in on like a saturday...so HOPEFULLY, i get it back by midweek...:confused:

we'll see...

thanks for the info.

trevor

chuckers
06-21-2004, 10:57 PM
trevor,
my dealer will either give me another one to run and usually its bigger or better or the same. He will have it fixed with in like 1 hr or 2. Then call my cell to find were i am to deliver it to the place i am at the time.

Trevors Lawn Care
06-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by chuckers
trevor,
my dealer will either give me another one to run and usually its bigger or better or the same. He will have it fixed with in like 1 hr or 2. Then call my cell to find were i am to deliver it to the place i am at the time.

hahahahhahaa.............:D :) :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :confused: :mad: :realmad:

I called my dealer today to make an appt. to drop of my mower on a saturday or even friday when i finish cutting....and he said...We dont make appointments...I said oh so i just drop it off and you get to it when you can..."Exactly...we are about 10 days behind on our mowers..so i hope you dont need it for a while"...me:****...

Me: "WEll do you have loaner mowers to keep me working while my equipment is down"

Dickhead..I mean Service guy:"umm...NO we dont do that either."

Me: "What do you do then"

Him: Drop it off and we will fix it.

GOSH..I am so f-ing pissed with their support.. I am tempted to sell my 144z and buy a scag..they have awesome support, and they are really close (1 mile)

Trevor

cincymower
06-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Trevor this is something you can easily do yourself, and you'll need to know how if this is going to be your career. In my MTD manual the procedure for changing a spindle is listed. I'm not mechanically inclined but even I could manage it, so I say go for it. Good luck!

Trevors Lawn Care
06-22-2004, 08:17 PM
ya but what about ordering it under warranty. Can an order be made by me and say..."um ya its still under warranty" i could be getting a couple spindles for my buddy who has got a 144z

can i order?
trevor

Mowingman
06-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Tell your dealer that you want him to give you the spindle assembly and you will fix it yourself. As cincymower said, you need to know how to do it if you are going to stay in the mowing business. you need to know how to fix everything on the mower, except maybe doing an engine rebuild. Changing parts is not that hard. Also, tell the dealer you will bring him the bad spindle when you get it off, as he will probably need it to get his warranty claim settled.

GeeVee
06-22-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure a consumable item such as a spindle, or the bearings within, are warranty-able.

You are aiming to change bearings, not the entire spindle, unless on disassembly, you find that not addressing the bearing problem has lunched other items.

Mowingman
06-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Gravely spindles are sealed units. If it is under warranty,(less than two years old), Gravely will give you a new complete spindle.

dishboy
06-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Exmark prices for a spindle, and two sealed bearings about $75.00. You need a press and ans some mechanical appitude and you can do this yourself.

Trevors Lawn Care
06-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by dishboy
Exmark prices for a spindle, and two sealed bearings about $75.00. You need a press and ans some mechanical appitude and you can do this yourself.

fact is i dont want to spend $75. when warrenty SHOULD cover it.

trevor

RedWingsDet
06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
yo trevor, if i were you, i'd spend the 75, think about it, do you rather wait 10days or spend 75$?

hole in one lco
06-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Call and talk to the mechanic not the sales man. Let him know that a six pack will accompany the mower and see what he says.

Trevors Lawn Care
06-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by hole in one lco
Call and talk to the mechanic not the sales man. Let him know that a six pack will accompany the mower and see what he says.

the sales guy is soooo much more helpful than the service guy. The service guy is the stupidest idiot i have ever met...RIGHT MARK?

the salesman is the owner of the shop and cares somewhat about customers...

trevor

specialtylc
06-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
Tell your dealer that you want him to give you the spindle assembly and you will fix it yourself. As cincymower said, you need to know how to do it if you are going to stay in the mowing business. you need to know how to fix everything on the mower, except maybe doing an engine rebuild. Changing parts is not that hard. Also, tell the dealer you will bring him the bad spindle when you get it off, as he will probably need it to get his warranty claim settled.
Most shops will not give you the part under a factory warranty. I had a mower once that the ignition coil went out on and the dealer insisted that I leave it at the shop and then he would order the part. And when we bought this mower it was supposed to be a ZERO down time program. Except the dealer never had a loaner machine available.Well that was going to be a 2 or 3 week process for warranty repair. We needed the mower and we went to a different dealer and paid for the coil , installed it ourselves and were back mowing in less than 2 hours. Some times you just say to hell with the warranty bull crap so you can get to work.