PDA

View Full Version : Deere 777 or 797 bagger

HazellLawnCare
06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
I've been looking pretty heavily at switching to all John Deere equipment purely because the service from them is awesome. I am thinking about a 777 with the 60" deck and the 3 bag bagger. My question is have any of you seen this setup? If any of you have pics could you please post them.

Craftybigdog
06-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Youre switching from Kubota to john deere are you feeling okay. Well if you do it and you look back just remember someone said dont do it. You never buy anything that is the color of money.

HazellLawnCare
06-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I haven't been impressed with the Kubota zero turns, they are heavy and don't seem to cut that well compared to other mowers out there. They are well built don't get me wrong I'm just not impressed with the quality of cut they leave, the Kubotas just seem like a mower built to mow alot of grass and fast. I would really like to buy all exmark stuff but the closest dealer is an hour away. I have a Toro dealer in town but it's the same guy I bought my Husqvarna walk behind from and his service is horible, I will never buy another piece of equipment from him. I don't know if you've used a 7Iron deck before but I'm pretty impressed by them. Not to mention my John Deere dealer will bend over backwards for me.

DLCS
06-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I have a 757 w/60" deck and the 2 bag hopper which is the same as the 3 bag just minus one bag and the powerflow unit is the same. I can tell you from my expirience that it does a wonderful job. My only problem is lack of capacity but with the 3 bag unit, you should be fine.

GLS
06-22-2004, 12:43 AM
I have the same setup as DLCS.

It does do a great job, but 1) It doesn't have enough capacity (2-bag unit) and 2) I think it could be a little tougher.

I might try the peco vac unit next time around unless I could get the 3-bag unit from deere, then it'd be a toss-up.

Sammyv
07-08-2004, 06:39 PM
DLCS and GLS

I have the JD 717 with the exact same powerflow/2 bag collection system. It does a great job, but I get a bothersome amount of grass and dust kicking up in front of the mower while using it. This doesn't occur when mowing without the Powerflow. Also, I have had to replace the deck belt cover to the Powerflow unit twice, because the belt wears through. It seems that the belt cover is too small to adequately encase the belt. Have either of you had the same or similar problems?

Sammyv

DLCS
07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Sammyv
DLCS and GLS

I have the JD 717 with the exact same powerflow/2 bag collection system. It does a great job, but I get a bothersome amount of grass and dust kicking up in front of the mower while using it. This doesn't occur when mowing without the Powerflow. Also, I have had to replace the deck belt cover to the Powerflow unit twice, because the belt wears through. It seems that the belt cover is too small to adequately encase the belt. Have either of you had the same or similar problems?

Sammyv

I never had grass blow out the front of the deck but I do get some leaves blowing out in the fall. I never had a problem with the belt cover wearing out cause i chucked that thing in the trash. lol

GLS
07-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Sammyv--

I get a little bit of blowout in the front. It's not too bad though. What bothers me more is the stuff that shoots out the discharge side without being sucked up (leaves, not usually grass...I guess because they are lighter). It can be remedied by lowering the deck but then i'm cutting too low. You might be able to put a little rubber flap or something on the front?

We don't even use the pully/belt cover. It is just a pain to take on/off to remove the powerflow and I think it just traps in more junk. We have been without it last fall and throughout this season without problems. We did wear through it when we first put it on but only because we didn't have the belt in place right (it should be turned 180 degrees).

GLS
07-08-2004, 07:24 PM
You beat me to it DLCS :)

I just wanted to add that I don't get grass blowout either, just a few leaves.

Sammyv
07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe rather than turn the belt 180 degrees, I'll just leave the belt cover off. I was just a little surprised at the seemingly "cheaper" quality of the John Deere powerflow and rear bagger system, when compared to what is available for several other commercial quality mowers (like grasshopper, for instance), for about the same price.

One other comment. I have a FANTASTIC local Deere dealer, who also carries Kubota. I just purchased my 717 a couple of months ago, and had the Powerflow installed 4 weeks ago. When I complained about the Deere collection system earlier today, he offered to refund my money on the 717 and Powerflow, and sell me a Kubota ZG20 with Kubota's collection system for the same price. I am tempted to at least demo the Kubota system, but am afraid that the ZG20 isn't quite the quality of the Deere. My understanding is that the SG Kubota ZTR's are not as sturdy and well built as the deisel Kubota ZTR's....any thoughts?

Sammyv

jpmako
07-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Stay with the Deere

Steve1
07-09-2004, 06:31 AM
It really doesn't matter what color paint your machine is if the dealer is an ass. The same goes if your dealer is top notch as well.

I would definitely buy a Deere if the dealer is a standup guy. Oh wait - I did! :D

Switching from Kubota to Deere for a good dealer makes a LOT of sense. It's all in the service you get, no matter the brand. A dealer will make or break your opinion of ANY given machine.

All you have to do to find out if this is true is read the posts on here. 99.9% of the time, if the owner is unhappy, his unhappiness is usually bottom-line related to poor service by the dealer, not because he has a lemon for a mower.

They're all good units (Deere, Kubota, Toro, exMark, Hustler, etc) - if you can't get service when you need, you may as well have a MTD Home Depot Special with a 12 HP Briggs and a 3" deep deck.