PDA

View Full Version : Building a drainage pipe end??

pryker
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I have a drainage pipe that takes water from a few different rain gutters on my home and dumps it out about 60 feet from my house.

I just tore the whole thing up and replaced all of the piping as it was crushed in some places and was in generally poor shape. WOW what a job. anyways, I have it all done but what do I do with the end where the water drains out? It used to just flow right into the lawn where it came out. But when I pulled the old stuff out it was filled with all kinds of crap.

I want to make a neat and clean looking area for the water to properly disperse into rocks or something where the pipe ends. Are there any good fittings for the end of the pipe? I thought about just closing the end of the pipe off with chicken wire to keep some larger crap out but it will just rust. What do you guys use to keep crap out and what do you put near the end of the pipe where the water comes out to make it look clean and properly disperse the water? Do I bury the end of the pipe in rocks??

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks

Phil

NickN
06-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Did you have all the "crap" IN your pipe or was it just at the end?
One thing to do is always put a pipe sock over the drain pipe.This will keep all the debris out of the pipe,while still allowing any residual water to seep out.
At the end of the pipe you can put a pop-up,so that nothing can enter the pipe.It will open when the water pressure builds up and allow the water to drain out the end.Then it closes when the water pressure lowers.
You can also put a drainage grate at the end.Not a catch basin,but just a grate.That will also keep out all the unwanted debris while still allowing the water to flow out the pipe.

fall46
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
This could be an option,,,,,,,the company is not far from my house

copy and paste the link

http://www.waterproof.com/downspouts/

pryker
06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Most of the crap was at the end. I have looked at those "bubble up" type ends but I do not believe it will pass the proper amount of water quickly enough. I will post pics today.

Thanks

pryker
06-22-2004, 07:56 PM
ok guys...

Here are the pics. What the heck do I do with the end. I thought about installing a little ditch with ricks at the end. She really throws water out when it rains. We just had a small downpour and I watched the water really fly out of it.

Thoughts??

Phil

pryker
06-22-2004, 07:57 PM
ANd here is the second image... I have to type to make sure it is long enough...

pryker
06-22-2004, 08:00 PM
By the way, I have finished covering the trench up. The trench was approx 12" deep until this last part. It is only about 6" here but I will also be building the soil up higher to the drive so it will be plenty deep. Now, what the heck do I do with the end of this pipe??

BSDeality
06-22-2004, 08:52 PM
you could make a little river rock catch for it. the only PITA part would be trimming around it.

maybe you need to put in a pond :)

lawn jockey
06-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Well it looks like 4" pvc thin wall, try a sch. 40 cap and drill holes in it to make a grate. I had to do this at a local truck garage to keep the #@%!* wash mit threads out from clogging the drains

Grass_Nerd
06-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by fall46
This could be an option,,,,,,,the company is not far from my house

copy and paste the link

http://www.waterproof.com/downspouts/

My next door neighboor has one of those. They work great. He also tied in his skimmer to his pool and drains it out there also.

NickN
06-23-2004, 10:41 AM
If it's really throwing the water out,you have no choice but to discharge it.Even if you fill in with rock,it's going to fill up very quickly.Put an elbow on it and install a 4 inch grate to allow the water to discharge to the surface.

NCSULandscaper
06-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Why dont you just extend the pipe out more to where the tall grass is, keep it all underground and hidden.

pryker
06-23-2004, 02:28 PM
The tall grass is a hay field that we knock down 4 times a year. I am afraid the tractor will crush the pipe where it comes out near the surface.

I will probably end up putting a grid on the end of the pipe and building a little river rock creek about 10 feet for the water to flow in. It can then disperse into the lawn.

I have 20/80 compost/topsoil being hauled in this weekend to start raising the grade. I will then build the ditch and finally will be able to sod.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Phil

mdvaden
06-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Can't you just take it farther underneath, then exit? You don't want to plug the end with fabric or fine screen, else it will possibly plug up.