chuckers
06-21-2004, 11:22 PM
tiger cub what do you guys know about them or what should i be scared of

mmacsek
06-21-2004, 11:25 PM
I bought one last year. This was my first one. Anything specific? Matt

chuckers
06-21-2004, 11:29 PM
they say new and improved hydros i was just thinking that maybe they were having problems with them or something

BSDeality
06-21-2004, 11:50 PM
my personal opinion is that scags suck. that doesn't stop a lot of people from buying orange though around here. The fact that you have to take your blades off to change the height of the cut is just mind boggling (and scag isn't the only one!)

edit, i just realized that may only apply to WB's i'm not sure if the Z's are the same setup. I'm sure someone will chime in.

chuckers
06-21-2004, 11:52 PM
i have scag walkbehinds but i was gonna go to scag ztr i was just cerious

jt5019
06-22-2004, 12:13 AM
I have a 2003 tiger cub.Noting to be scared of that i know about.It runs great, built strong,has a nice deck lift pedal.Simple to change the cutting hight, leaves a nice stripe(at least in my area).Lot of options you can get for it,mulching kit, bagger,striping roller, on and on .I cant say anything bad about it except maybe theres two grease fittings on the inside of the rear wheels that are kind of hard to get at.

Yes, you may need to remove the blades to get to the spacers to adjust the cutting hight on the walk behinds.You can also adjust the spacers on the front wheels(at least on my older walk behind)to adjust the hight.I was under the impression most model walk behinds where like this.Husky has a walk behind with a lever for quick adjustment i believe.

BSDeality
06-22-2004, 12:18 AM
my gravely WB has is very easy to change the height, i can go from 1-5" in 1/4" increments just by pulling 2 pins from each side of the deck. i don't have to re-assemble the frame to go below 2.75" or whatever it is on the others. Plus my entire deck moves up and down, not just the blades, this way when i raise the deck i actually raise the deck and clear objects where as the scag i was operating a couple weeks ago would just hang up on the deck.

sorry to get off track here.

nelbuts
06-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Have run Scags for 18 years and they are tougher than anything else I have ever used. Toro, JD, Wheelhorse, and Dixi.

Easy to work on and I have a Tiger and a Cub and a WB. The tiger has over 2000 hours on it and going strong everyday.

mmacsek
06-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by BSDeality
my personal opinion is that scags suck. that doesn't stop a lot of people from buying orange though around here. The fact that you have to take your blades off to change the height of the cut is just mind boggling (and scag isn't the only one!)

edit, i just realized that may only apply to WB's i'm not sure if the Z's are the same setup. I'm sure someone will chime in.
The Z's change height with one pin. It takes about 5 seconds. Matt

Shady Brook
06-22-2004, 07:42 AM
My 23/52 cub has been good to me. Lately I have lost the clutch, and have some electrical problem where after it is warm it starts blowing a fuse. This gets real anoying! Have had some other minor issues like a deck support rod snapping leaving you useless. It cuts good in most conditions. I am moving away from them myself, just purchased a Hustler Super Z, and demod several other models that I found to be superior in design and cut. It is still a good machine just the same.

Jay

SCAG POWER
06-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Demoed a scag turf cub not bad , but they did not have the special rates that John Deere had.Bought a 727A nice ride my buddy mows with a 757 nice ride too.

I do use a Scag 36 W/B , i find it works good for me i just leave the hight at where the dealer set it.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :drinkup: :drinkup:

KL400S
06-22-2004, 08:51 AM
I wish someone would steal mine! I have an exmark and a cub! I bought the scag this year thinking that it was compairable to the exmark. I have had trouble getting parts for the exmark in my area and the scag dealer is right in my area. I have to say that the scag could not hold a candle to the exmark. I cannot stand the bagging system on the scag. It is big and a pain in the ass to take off. The other thing is that it SUCKS! WITH A CAPITAL S. If the grass is long or wet, forget it, it will clog every time. If I can answer anymore for you just email me. kl400s@yahoo.com

jt5019
06-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Instead of someone stealing your scag give it to me i would more than happy to take it off your hands.In my opinion scags are one of the best machines out there.

grass_cuttin_fool
06-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Ditto what jt says about the scag, I have a 2004 model and I love it. I think thoose 2 fittings are just for the hand brakes so they dont need to be lubed very often

Steppenwolf
06-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Not real happy with my Scag Cub,slides on the slighest hill,leaves grass standing where the front wheels went,I have five of the 52" hydro wb's with velkies and I think they are the best combo that I have found for my market.

thill
06-22-2004, 11:51 PM
The question was specifically about a SCAG Tiger Cub... this is a rider-Z.

Had one for two years (48/Kaw19) Nearly bullet proof. A real work horse that stands up to the crews' abuse.

The quality of cut is better than average and the foot pedal height adjustment takes only seconds.

Liked it so well, that we recently purchased a big brother a Turf Tiger 61 but with a Kohler. Love the mower and so far so good with the Kohler

The only hands on comparison is we also have a Toro 100 - 44/AKaw15. Wish I had never purchased it!

Good luck with what ever you select.

Tom

LLandscaping
06-23-2004, 12:03 AM
We have two Tiger Cubs, one is 2003 48/19kaw (330 hours) the other is 2004 48/19kaw (50 hours). Both have been trouble free, they cut great. We have only replaced a belt on the 2003 at 160 hours.

fivestarlawnken
06-23-2004, 01:45 AM
Just turned 100 hours on my 61' 25 hp tiger cub no problems,happy with it.Took of the side turbo discharge cover and it throws the grass better now.The 61 has the bigger tires and handles hills very well.Another stupid thing I like is it mows really nice backwards,we have had tons of rain and I'll go backwards alot.I have about 500 hours on the lazers and the cut on those is a little better than my scag.The Tiger Cub is BUILT it is almost 1300 pounds but the bigger tires leave a very small imprint.Its all in what you want.DEMO DEMO:rolleyes: