PDA

View Full Version : trying to please crazy customer-the outcome

bobbygedd
06-22-2004, 08:38 AM
well, here is the outcome to the tragic mulch job. i did "the right thing", as you would all have me do it, and what a disaster. we put in several yards of mulch for her. she inspected everything, gave approval, and paid the bill. 2 weeks later she advises me that she saw on a t.v show, and was told by a nursery worker, that the mulch should be kept 6 inches away from all plants. she insisted that i return, and create a 6 inch ring around all her plants(about 200 of them). my initial instinct was to blow her off completely. i should have followed my instincts. instead, yesterday afternoon i dropped one of my boys off for 4 hrs. after he created these 6 inch rings around all the plants, the job looked REDICULOUS!. and, now there is extra mulch, that she wants me to haul away and refund her money for! this is what happens when you do "the right thing". now i have to recoup the loss somehow or i'll never sleep at night. how will i recoup? well it's grub treatment season, it's a great time to make money for nothing. how many of your clients can tell the difference between costly merit, and cheap starter fertilizer? from now on i'll follow my instincts.

SWD
06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Bobby, I wouldn't have returned - especialy if she was being a pita.
I have had similar experiences, I explain that I have completed the work that we agreed upon, anything else is extra. I sure would not rebate on mulch that was installed then removed.

TRex
06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
I told you to explain to her how to go to the lake of fire. Tell her she watches to much t.v.

MiracleMan
06-22-2004, 09:36 AM
6" away from plants?
Must be a northern thing. I've NEVER heard of such a thing. Tree wells are a different story but not shrubs. I can only guess it's to keep water from draining away from the shrub and retaining moisture.
But back to Ms. Grumpy, ... I wouldn't give her back one penny for work your services already rendered. As was stated, you did the work agreed upon. If she wants it different, she needs to call someone else. As always, there's at least ONE in your crop you just can't please.

p.s I always have a customer sign a work order before I do any work. It gives me proof of what was ordered and what they agreed to pay.

Precision
06-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Those 6" rings are supposedly to keep the plant from suffocating and to allow the moisture to wick out at the root base. Something about the plant has an increased chance of getting root rot if the mulch touches the plant.

The only times I have seen that done is in homeowner installs. And like you said Bobby it looks ******ed.

But on the other extreme I had a client that watched too much TV and insisted that to be mulched properly it has to be 6" deep to do any good. Nuts don't just live by you. We all have a few.

dishboy
06-22-2004, 10:04 AM
And you did not discuss what, how and who would pay for her adjustments BEFORE proceeding???????

bobbygedd
06-22-2004, 02:13 PM
yes i actually explained that we will charge, per hour, for the "corrections". she started moaning about it not being done right in the first place. i didn't feel like arguing(for once), and i wouldn't even do it myself, i left a guy there for her. cost me 5 man hours, but i did use the extra mulch around some trees 3 blocks away. i hate myself for giving in, and i'll never do it again. i will make it up on her grub treatment. i'll put down starter fert instead of merit. i'll spray her clover with plain water. i always win in the end, usually in the beggining actually, but this time in the end.

TClawn
06-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
yes i actually explained that we will charge, per hour, for the "corrections". she started moaning about it not being done right in the first place. i didn't feel like arguing(for once), and i wouldn't even do it myself, i left a guy there for her. cost me 5 man hours, but i did use the extra mulch around some trees 3 blocks away. i hate myself for giving in, and i'll never do it again. i will make it up on her grub treatment. i'll put down starter fert instead of merit. i'll spray her clover with plain water. i always win in the end, usually in the beggining actually, but this time in the end.

I would not do any more work for her. tell her to bugger off and find somebody else to do her work.

fga
06-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Bob,
i understand you're angry about her situation, and I don't blame ya. But what if she gets grubs a few months from now, and wants you to replace large sections of the lawn? she'd want it fixed for free.
I'd drop her then go to lunch with a smile. Can you make some of the money using the mulch elsewhere? how much extra are we talking here?

dvmcmrhp52
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Does any body ever consider how many people that are just homeowners are lurking here and reading this?
Just a thought.

MiracleMan
06-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Now come on Bobby, keep your integrity. I know she deserves to be shafted and taught a lesson. Just not by being a crook. You do the right thing booyyyy!. Dump Her! haa!

Mowing Mike
06-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Well first of all I'm not a big bobby fan. I would love to see some pictures of all this work that was such a pain in the a$$ for you. I'm sure 400 plant with pretty little circles around them look really nice. Show us some pictures.

Mike

bobbygedd
06-22-2004, 07:36 PM
fga, if she gets grubs that's her problem. i can't garentee she won't. so i have like an extra yard of mulch, the mulch is not the expense, it's the labor. anyhow, i'm over it.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-22-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm surpized you listened to her in the first place one that isn't one of you strong points and two she's nutts so why do it you were already paid. I had a jackass who lives on sand right on the beach stop watering some arborvites I planted after a week last july and told me he read in a book plants need to fend for them self's. I guess its tough love for plants written by some idiot eviromentalist. After all we don't want those welfare plants with there hands out all over the place. So when they died do you think I replaced them Hell No he killed them not me he was told many times to change his evil ways if you don't care then I should not have to either you live there not me.

GeeVee
06-22-2004, 09:53 PM
You're not serious?

You're really going to rip her off on other work?

bobbygedd
06-22-2004, 10:43 PM
yup, in fact, so badly, it will make what those guys did to you look like a gift

GeeVee
06-23-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm up to $1800 in losses now. Realizing a few auger bits were in the tool box......

bobbygedd
06-24-2004, 08:26 AM
how does that make you feel? one time i got an edger and blower stolen. the tools were garbage and not worth much, but i got such a weird feeling of being "violated" or something, i can't explain it. anyhow, i did recover the equipment 4 months later. sorry u got robbed

keegan99usa
06-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Wow
Glad I don't want work done in NJ! Not only can Iget a PITA LCO come do work, but then he can camplain when I the customer want the work done to my liking. And then when 200 plants need 6" rings removed at 2" deep, which would be 7540 cu. inches and he removes a full yard or 46,656 cu. inches, and tells me he did the job right? Oh and then if I come on here and read how he is planning to rip me off again!! Come on now people, don't tell me you all think this guy is what you want all LCO's to be like. Give me a break!

olderthandirt
06-24-2004, 09:03 AM
So most think Bobby wrong? You gotta be kiding me or yourself! I suppose you all think your customers really care for you becouse of the great work you do, What a joke your all just a phone call away from being replaced!Some joker comes in at 1/2 your price and see how loyal your customers are then. And you all think your rocket scienntist, your lco, look in the phone book your one of many so don't believe you can't be replaced or you would have done the "right thing" becoase the right thing is making money in this business any way you can. No I would not have went back to move the mulch unless it was under a new contract with a new price, and I would have charged her an arm & leg to do it. Then we would have seen how much she believed in what she saw on TV. And I bet it would not have been as much as I wanted to charge her to correct a problem that never existed.:angry:

Mac

bobbygedd
06-24-2004, 04:17 PM
keegan, you show me a businessman who lets his customers tell him what's right and what's wrong, and you show me an honest businessman, and i'll show you a broke mother fkr! if you u aint rippin them off a little, you must be rippin them off alot. sometimes i think me and mac(olderthandirt) are the only ones with any brains around here.

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2
06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
sometimes i think me and mac(olderthandirt) are the only ones with any brains around here.

Now Bobby - you know that isn't true. There is more than one woman on this site, and everyone knows that we're the brains behind the braun. :D

Moe Fish
06-24-2004, 04:43 PM
wait you went in and just agreed to do "the right thing" with no idea what it would cost and now your pissed at her?

your worried about what to do with some extra mulch? Your in lawncare and you can't make another customer a deal on it?

You think it looks stupid but realy who cares it's not your yard and it is what she wanted.

I think you just like to cry
Boho you lost 5 hours of work big deal. How many hours you lost crying about it.
If she is happy I would keep working for her and just be sure you guys agreed on how any other work would be done but that is me I don't have time to plot how to get back at people. That is just childish.

bobbygedd
06-24-2004, 05:30 PM
fish i don"t "plot", it just comes natural to me. liberty i'm sorry you are correct, what i meant to say is " mac and i are the only MEN here with brains." of course the women are all smarter. now let's see the topless photos! or do i have to show mine first?