PDA

View Full Version : What is a sulkey or velkey?

QC Lawn Services
06-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Gentleman, I am a newcomer and most of my clients are residential. Reading many of these threads has shown me that I have a lot to learn in this business. But you never learn unless you ask question. What is a sulkey or a velkey? Thanks.

J&R
06-22-2004, 03:08 PM
A sulkey you sit and ride on & a velkey you stand on.

MMLawn
06-22-2004, 03:20 PM
and they both of course are for walk behinds

QC Lawn Services
06-22-2004, 03:22 PM
In my reading of the threads, I thought that what they were, but I wasn't completely sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Runner
06-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Actually, ANY equipment that is utilized to ride on that pulls behing a mower (or any other type of equipment) is a sulky. Whether it be a stand on or a sit on, it is still a sulky. The term "Velke", comes from a designer who designed a stand-on type sulky, and now his name has become synonymous with the industry. As a matter of fact, Mr. Velke (Jim, I think) would even come on here and post once in awhile. It would be quite a feeling to know that your name has grown to the ranks of such famous things that are actually brand names, that have more or less become industry recognized terms.
Some other examples of this kind of thing are;
1. Kleenex - facial tissues
2. Xerox - copies
3. Band Aid - adhesive strips
4. Scotch Tape - for cellophane tape
5. Bic lighter - disposable lighters
6. Ace bandage - elastic bandages
7. Chapstick - lip balm
8. Jello - gelatin dessert
9. Q Tips - cotton swabs
10. Kotex sanitary napkins
11. Styrofoam (yes, it is a brand name) - plastic foam
12. Teflon - non-stick coating
13. Vaseline - petroleum jelly
14. Velcro - hook and loop fastener
15. Walkman - portable cassette player with headphones
I'm sure there are a few more out there, as well. Anyway, I hope this clarifies it. Like I say, his name has just become an industry term. :)

tiedeman
06-22-2004, 10:09 PM
yup, Runner is right. A sulky is the name of the product, while Velke is a manufactor of sulkies. I believe his name is Jim Velkie, or something like that.

Jon99
06-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Quick question.... I am a bigger man, about 6'1" 205 pounds, which from a past experience is too big for a sulkey (flat tires).... Is there a brand or tire on the market that can handle guys my size????

I am thinking about getting one for my 36" Exmark, basically to use if I have a problem with my Tiger Cub..

tiedeman
06-22-2004, 10:18 PM
I am 235 and the sulkie (Velkie) would fine for me.

Runner
06-23-2004, 12:22 AM
As long as you get a 2 wheeled sulky, you're in good shape. The 2 wheeled is all I recommend anyway. If it's belt drive, get the trailering type that pivots when you turn. If it's hydro, get the solid type mount with the pivoting casters.