PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off......

GeeVee
06-22-2004, 09:11 PM
I have been working on an Island Style Piling House at Rancho Varano since about February.

Went today and find that someone, actually a pair or more, of lowlife scumbag thiefs have liberated three chainsaws, a Tanaka drill motor, a toolbox, five gallons of raw gas and a cordless screw gun.

They put all of it in a Rubbermaid Tote and walked it out. My driveway is 800' from the road, dense trees in every direction aside from the clearing(150'x 100'). The chain was across the drive when I rolled up.

They went through my small travel trailer, the go-cart was not where it had been left and some other tools and power equipment were left behind. Nothing was vandalized.

I am worried about my flats boats, but my International Loader is probably safe.

Ces't la Vie.......

They'll get theirs in the end, and I will end up with some good luck eventually.

EastProLawn
06-22-2004, 09:23 PM
How in the world do these people sleep at night ?

Pecker
06-22-2004, 09:30 PM
That's the right attitude although being ripped off truly sucks. You're also right because what goes around comes around.

bobbygedd
06-22-2004, 09:39 PM
what a shame. a darn, darn shame

Blades of Steel
06-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Kill'm all and God sort them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cantoo
06-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Second oldest trick in the book. Keep a 3/4 full jug of gas loaded with sugar and the problem will correct itself. Don't forget to only put enough fuel in the go cart for what you are going to use it for and drain it before use. I've seen guys put a tag labelled "old gas use for fires only" on jugs of fuel. They won't take it then. To prevent joyriding just loosen the throttle cable or take off the plug cable when you are done with it, they will leave it alone if it doesn't work right. Your's is a crime of opportunity, make if a little difficult and they won't be back. Just so you know they will be back, you were easy pickings.

txlawnking
06-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Get some burly angry dogs, like our great dane. 99% of people see her run anywhere toward them, and they freak out and roll out LOLOL

RedWingsDet
06-22-2004, 11:24 PM
that sucks, sorry to hear bout that!

GeeVee
06-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks for your sympathies.......

The toolbox I bought specifically to leave down there, so I am fairly upset about that. More pissed off about my Tanka Drill. This is the second Gas powered drill I have lost. The saws had paid for themselves many times over, but I am better than average at taking care of my equipment, and they had lots of life left. A "stump" saw, a bucking saw and a top handle.

Now I am on hold on the mainhouse and will be full speed ahead on the pump house, for the security.

A friend suggested a Game camera. Any of you have or use one? I have not researched them yet. Do they have a "flash" or are they silent.

Last thing I need is to set one of those up and have some lowlife steal it.

This is a small community the ranch is located in, I think I may eventually here rumors.......

Last evening I was waiting out a brief rainstorm. I'm having a beer, contemplating the next set of cuts to make to the lumber because I like to only run generator when needing to cut when I hear a vehicle coming down my road.

My anxiety level went through the roof. I grabbed my framing hammer and start jogging to the sound. I'm part way down the road, and a truck is coming towards. I think to myself, this guy is going to have to put it in reverse, as soon as he sees me. So I pick up the pace a little but am still short of a sprint, and closing the gap. By the time I realize he isn't stopping, I can see Stella, my nephew's pit bull (Daisy's Momma) hanging out the back.

I was heartbroken.

I was glad to see my nephew had come to help, and complimented him on his new truck. But I had gotten worked up at the thought of the perpetrator returning to the scene of the crime.

"I didn't know what to do, you were kind of scary with that hammer......."

I've got more chainsaws here at the house. And more tools. Only thing I need to replace is the drill. I use the hell out of it through bolting on the piling house and post and fence work.

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2
06-23-2004, 02:04 PM
GeeVee - would leaving one of your pitbulls there deter the crooks, or would they try to steal the dog too?

Most people see our a pitbull and about face real quick - doesn't matter that he looks like Petey from the "the Little Rascals" & is sitting there with his tongue hanging out & tail wagging.

What about a battery operated remote web cam in a place where the scumbags wouldn't see it? Works pretty simply. If you have a website or space on the web. Web cam has batteries - no need for electricity, uses similar technology to a cell phone that takes pics & uploads them to a website, except that it uploads the feed to your site & you can watch it in almost real time (approx. 15 - 45 sec. delay) or you can save the feed to a hard drive & view it later.