PDA

View Full Version : Little swimming pools

tiedeman
06-22-2004, 10:13 PM
I love to move those little swimming pools for customers (tongue in cheek)

I finally had it today. I just mowed around it and the clippings went all in it. So I thought there that will teach the customer. Wrong, calls me up to complain. So I let her have it, I told her that I was sick on having to empty out the pool before I can move it.
She basically says, "well isn't that what a lawn service is for."

I had to bite my tongue when she said that.

fga
06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
i would move an empty pool, but never empty the water in it to move it. just tell her the grass underneath isn't growing!, no need to cut there.

DFW Area Landscaper
06-22-2004, 10:17 PM
After the "cancel-fest" I've had the last three weeks, there's no way I'd take that attitude with a customer right now. Heck, I lost two accounts before lunch today.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

TJLC
06-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman

I finally had it today. I just mowed around it and the clippings went all in it. So I thought there that will teach the customer. Wrong, calls me up to complain. So I let her have it, I told her that I was sick on having to empty out the pool before I can move.
She basically says, "well isn't that a lawn service is for."

Been there, done that. Don't you just love people like that. If it's not a pool, it's something else. My favorite line has to be " how difficult can it be, it's only cutting grass". That comment always gets under my skin. Hang in there.

EastProLawn
06-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I would never move a pool with water in it, all my agreements state, any large objects ( pools, benches, tables, etc. ) must be moved by the owner of said property. It goes on to state about not being responsible for any damages and so on, you get the picture. I started that about 2 years ago because of a little ***** who tried to pull the same stunt we me.

Pecker
06-22-2004, 10:34 PM
I don't move anything like that, especially if it is heavy or even semi-permanent. I just trim around it. But I also run a mulch kit on all my mowers partly so I can control my clippings.

RedWingsDet
06-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by TJLC
Been there, done that. Don't you just love people like that. If it's not a pool, it's something else. My favorite line has to be " how difficult can it be, it's only cutting grass". That comment always gets under my skin. Hang in there.

my bro tells me that every damn day, im so sick of it. he sees me on the fourm, then makes jokes on it.

Itsgottobegreen
06-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by EastProLawn
my agreements state, any large objects ( pools, benches, tables, etc. ) must be moved by the owner of said property. It goes on to state about not being responsible for any damages and so on.

I moved a wood table last week. The top came off (part i was holding onto.) causing the legs to hit the ground and break. They want me to buy a new table (wife). The husband said, if he got the wood, I could fix it. I think i am going to add that for next years contracts.

grasswhacker
06-22-2004, 11:00 PM
I hate trampolines. Dropped an account this year due to one being put in a very small back yard. Just had enough of moving these things.

hole in one lco
06-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes the trampolines are a pane iv got 6 cuts with them. They look good on the man show not in back yards.

ElephantNest
06-22-2004, 11:18 PM
I put in my lawn contracts that I will stay 6 inches away from any inflatable pools. Normal pools, I don't mind, just takes a little finess. Inflatable ones? I don't put my 270 anywhere near it, and if grass gets in it, they need to get it out.

hole in one lco
06-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Different cut same problem just another trampoline i hate them.

cantoo
06-22-2004, 11:20 PM
tiedeman, I would tell her you move pools as well as offer fertilizing services. Then ask her how old her daughter is and what time she gets home, you'll give her a good deal on the fertilizing too. One of my friends who cuts grass was trimming beside one of those big 3'x20' pools and hit it with the trimmer line. It was empty within a couple of minutes. Of course they thought he should be buying them a new one. He had been just cutting close to the pool all the time with the mower and they asked him to trim right up to it. In that case I would have handed them the trimmer and said go ahead I'm not doing it. He don't cut their grass anymore and they still whine to anyone who will listen about him ruining their kids pool.

dcondon
06-22-2004, 11:25 PM

I finally had it today. I just mowed around it and the clippings went all in it. So I thought there that will teach the customer. Wrong, calls me up to complain. So I let her have it, I told her that I was sick on having to empty out the pool before I can move it.
She basically says, "well isn't that what a lawn service is for."

I know what you mean Troy...... I just mow around and not worry to much about the grass. If it was nice pool would be different!!!! The thing that ticks me off is when you are out picking up about 100 toys and they are standing there watching you :angry:

chuckers
06-22-2004, 11:28 PM
if there are toys they can not have there cut for a week because i am in the lawn care world not babysitting

jpmako
06-22-2004, 11:31 PM
You guys need to start charging more.

I don't move anything!!! I had a customer ask me (If it isn't too much trouble, could you please just move the table off of the lawn?) My response Sure could you please just add 10 bucks to my check?
I don't ask for freebies so neither should my customers...

lqmustang
06-22-2004, 11:35 PM
I've got a few trampolines, and 1 kiddie pool to deal with. The kiddie pool I'll make a few passes around with the chute facing away to be nice, but with the trampolines, they stay put. I don't move heavy crap, I mow lawns. I'll trim around them, but if you want them moved you better get out there and move them. The only trampoline I move is the one in my back yard. My wife gets to hear me b*tch about that one every time I move it also.

dcondon
06-22-2004, 11:42 PM
One city we mow I move about 10 trampolines, that's in one day!!
Not including golf balls and golf clubs. I hit a golf club in tall grass one day. Thank god it didn't hit anything.

ElephantNest
06-23-2004, 12:13 AM
I push tramoplines with my Z onto fresh cut area.

ALarsh
06-23-2004, 12:14 AM
I tell all my customers that if they want the trampoline moved i'm hooking up a tow strap to it and towing it to another part of the lawn with the tractor. If they say no, I don't move it.

My contract says i'm not responsible for anything that breaks on the lawn so they can't hold me accountable.

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
My best customer has a pic i nic table (Picnic Yogi!) I move it for her but any real heavy stuff no way.

tiedeman
06-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by dcondon
I know what you mean Troy...... I just mow around and not worry to much about the grass. If it was nice pool would be different!!!! The thing that ticks me off is when you are out picking up about 100 toys and they are standing there watching you :angry:

you are still moving those toys in Mt. Pleasant?

dcondon
06-23-2004, 09:49 PM
you are still moving those toys in Mt. Pleasant?

yup. I have come to the point that i don't get off the seat for little plastic ones.lol

tiedeman
06-23-2004, 10:02 PM
the one on Surrey Rd that I gave you guys I used to have a problem with them with stuff in the yard, but they have gotten really good about picking up

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 10:05 PM
I had a problem with this once. A friend hired me to mow there lawn, and they had 3 kids. At first they kept the toy pretty well picked up, but it started getting worse and worse for about a month. I was really getting mad but I felt akward saying anything as I didnt want my friend to take it wrong- I was alot younger, would have said something now no problem. Well I bit my tounge and at the end of the month my friend puts a extra 30 bucks on my check and says sorry for not keeping the toys picked up. I really appreciate that. I really dont have that problem any more. The only thing I have right now are lawn decorations that stick into the dirt, little spinning winged birds and humming bird feeder. They put them up 2 weeks after I started cutting. It takes me less than a min to put em up and down, so no head aches just glad it isnt worse.

dcondon
07-05-2004, 10:36 AM
the one on Surrey Rd that I gave you guys I used to have a problem with them with stuff in the yard, but they have gotten really good about picking up

they are starting to go the other way again:(

sbvfd592
07-05-2004, 11:20 AM
i move it they pay me all told up front thye best isgoing to be 2maro when pepole havent clean up from the 4th partys they had nets balls horse shoe crap all over the back lawns

RedWingsDet
07-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by sbvfd592
i move it they pay me all told up front thye best isgoing to be 2maro when pepole havent clean up from the 4th partys they had nets balls horse shoe crap all over the back lawns

now that seems like taking advantage of the situation. if i had to cut tommarow i would call my customers later on in the day today to remind them that things need to be picked up.... then.... if they dont pick em up after you reminded them, then MAYBE charge them.

but your way seems like your taking advantage of the holiday