PDA

View Full Version : 36" metro the answer?

doleac5
06-22-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm 17 and been mowing for about 5 years and live outside of Portland, Maine. I have about 30 res. accounts (20-25 weekly) and only work about 2 days per week with 1-2 employees. i am working with 3 toro personal pace 21" and the lawns are just taking a complete toll on them all. they are all within 2 years old and are having problems regulary (all 3 are in the shop right now). I will probably be mowing lawns through college but most likely not after that. I know i need to upgrade to some commercial equipment since the only real comm. equip. i have is my echo trimmer, and everything seems to be breaking on me. i've been looking at a 36" metro w/b and think that that might be the one. any opinions on this in my sitution? any recommendations on an alternative route? also with the metro 36", i have the option of either a 13 hp KAW or a 15 hp KOH for the same price. i have heard that the KAW is smoother but whats your opinion? Also opinions on ECS vs. pistol grip? And is hydro that much better than gear? The dealer is trying to sell me the Metro 36" with ECS and mulching kit for about $2,650 (tax not included). is that a decent price? Also i am looking somewhat into a Bob-cat w/b 36" because there is a dealer about 1 mile a way for about $3,000. any opinions on the bob-cat? any feedback is well appreciated. i am looking to buy something within the next few days, and my budget is about $3,000 by the way. thanks for the help.

And anyone from Maine...whats with the Walker craze up here. i have rarely seen a business without Walkers. that is all anyone uses up here. i would guess 9 out of the 10 businesses up here only cut with Walkers. is it like that anywhere else? just wondering because they seem a lot more expensive than any other brands i've seen.

DOLEAC

doleac5
06-22-2004, 11:37 PM
is the 36" easier to use on smaller resendential lawns or is the 48" just as easy? thanks

Potchkins
06-22-2004, 11:44 PM
go demo a eXmark viking
let us know what you think

beransfixitinc
06-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Yes, that is a fairly decent price on a 36" with the ECS controls and a mulching kit. If you were to get the regular pistol grips and wanted to convert to ECS later, that conversion would run you around $350 plus labor.
As for the 13 KAW or the 15 KOH we are a dealer for both (almost) and also for eXmark. The KAW has more torque which you will notice if you have some yards that get real tall and thick between cuts. What I would recommend to you is to do what others have done with us, and ask to demo both of them, one with a KAW and one with a KOH. They should let you actually take each one with you and test it out on one of your regular lawns on your route. One of our customers did that recently with the 36, and discovered it is a little too big for the areas they need a walk behind, so now he is looking at the 32 inch, because he really likes the eXmark cut, and the ECS controls. You really should be allowed to demo them in your real world situation before you are forced to purchase one.. as you are with some of the other manufacturers.

dvmcmrhp52
06-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Lots of questions...............
For three grand you will only get a belt drive (new I am assuming,if you look at used you could find a hydro)so your options are limited.
Wether or not you can use a 48" is a question only you can answer,we don't know your lawns.
The 12.5 horse or 15 will not really matter,ours is the 12.5 and it does just fine.
I'd go with the ecs,but others will have a varied opinion on that as well.
The $2650 price tag seems a tad high for me but I don't live in maine either......................
The Bobcat..............Don't know about em.

PMLAWN
06-23-2004, 07:07 AM
I just picked up a Toro 36" proline, fixed deck, Hydro. Pistol grip- for 2650 out the door. The mulch lit was 139.00. I'm am more productive with the 36" hydro than I was with the 48" belt. (Exmark Metro hp) I love the hydro. It goes backwards- the belt does not. Much easier to use and turn. Great on hills where I had to fight the Belt.
I hate the pistol grip and will change to the ECS from Exmark. This will make the Toro the same as an exmark Viking. The pistol grip is hard to use in tight places as it always swings out and hits walls or trees when turning. If I keep it on I know I will break a finger some day. The ECS is much easier to use, IMO. I also feel it works better with the Velke but this mower will not see much velke work as if I have that much room I will use the 48 or Z.
My 48" has a Kaw 15 2 cyl. The 36" has the Kol 15 1 cyl. The Kaw is much easier to start and I think has more power but the 15 Kol works well. it pulls me on the Velke ( 190#) fine.
The 36" put my 21" on the trailer as I don't need it any more but the 48" did not work on a lot of my lots where I had small spaces or gates. That is a question only you can answer as only you know your lots. The 48 " will cut a lot more grass in the open.
I have never used Bobcat but I know people that do and they get good service out of them.

walter2
06-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I have a 36 metro and I think that exmark makes the toughest mower for the money. Iv had mine since 1995 and no major problems ! the 36 is great for res. lawns you can fit through mos gates the 48's will not! And defiantly get the cohler engine its strong. your price is to high that machine with all the goodies sells for $2300 at fm abbotts in waterboro M.E. (207)247-5278 good luck pm me if you need any info

Itsgottobegreen
06-23-2004, 10:49 AM
I got a 32" metro. I bought it when I was 14(used) a great little machine. Tough as nails. I would recommend getting a 32" over the 36" like beransfixitinc said. It will go anywhere.

If you have the money get a hydro. But only one company makes a 32" dual drive hydro which is wright. Exmark stopped making their 32" hydro.

Get a kawi engine on what ever you buy. Half my mowers are kohler, have are kawi. The kawi engines I have hardly ever give me trouble.

mkwl
06-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Definitely spend more money and get the Bob-Cat!!! I have a Bob-Cat 48" w/15 hp Kawasaki engine, belt drive and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! All Bob-Cat mowers stripe and cut fantasticaly!!!!!! A Bob-Cat will last a lifetime and a Bob-Cat will not dissappoint you!!!!!!!!!!:D

MTR
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I have a 36" Metro pistol with 12.5 Kawi and a set of Jungle wheels, the machine is workhorse, BUT, it has its limit to do as much or many as lawns as you desire... the fatigue will take toll eventually with WB. I started with this Metro and really appreciate what it has done to my business so far, I am to the point that I need a Z, and really looking hard at Super mini Z 52/25 kawi to be my backbone. Try to keep or change blades sharp, oil & filters every 50 hours and plug at 100 hrs, also after 150 hrs from break-in switch the oil (1 1/2 qt ) to 10-30 fully synthetic oil, it rocks. The motor has more power slicing through thick St. Augustine like butter provided your blades are SHARP.
If you have over 20 lawns I think a Z should be considered and a 36 is for backup or hill and slope...gates. Cutting with 36" WB under 90 + degree for 5-6 days, I go with a 52" Z.