PDA

View Full Version : Good Advice

the weed man
06-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey,
I just started out my business and I was wondering.....

If you could give just one piece of advice, what would it be?

fga
06-22-2004, 10:53 PM
for me, i would say, this is my opinion,

study pricing in you area, and don't sell yourself short. I underpriced accounts in the beginning (not on purpose, i didn't know any better), and it took me a few years to get those prices up where they should be. buy equipment you can afford and keep overhead as low as possible. uneeded spending takes profits out of your pocket, that could go towards equipment to grow, etc.
good luck. also, the guys (and ladies) on this are great, help ya out alot.

hole in one lco
06-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Don't take on more than you can handle. If you piss off one person you've pissed off 10 because they will tell at least 10 people you suck.

impactlandscaping
06-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Pay your lic. fees , insurances, and taxes.....

txlawnking
06-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Put GOD first, everything else second, and your self last. Advertise, Do the Best work you are capable of doing, Listen to those WISER than your self. And get incorporated, Immediately.

the weed man
06-23-2004, 06:09 AM
thanks for the replys thus far

Littleriver1
06-23-2004, 06:42 AM
Stay in school and get a degree

MOW ED
06-23-2004, 07:08 AM
Use the Search feature for years worth of advise.

postman
06-23-2004, 08:01 AM
always do quality work dont take shorts cuts even if u lose money on some jobs . i take care of a ladys yard who never wanted to pay me enough money for doing her yard she bragged how good her yard looked .i was about to drop her and she recommended me to another lady the lady gave me her yard she pays me 100.00 to do her yard takes me less than 2 hrs to do it plus other people will recommend u also i realize this a exception but always do your best . i give god all the praise

GeeVee
06-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Word of mouth is the best advertising.

How you get that is not brain surgery......

Be honest, knowlegable, and reliable.

asyracus
06-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Do what you say you're going to do and show up on time. Never leave the job site unless it's 100%.

amw
06-23-2004, 08:22 AM
pick what you want to do and stick to it.

I added pressure cleaning early on, and it realy killed me for about 2 years, then i finaly admited to myself that i couldnt do both.. so we put the washers in the garage and basicly they sat for about 3 years.
Now that things are/have been going good, i decided to dust em' off and get back into it, i found a guy who has the BEST chems. and is willing to teach. went and visited him (out of my state) and learned tons, came back and added a note to add of my customers bills saying 10% off house washing for current customers, i got slamed. i had to hire 2 guys full time to do the houses about 40% of my residential customers jumpped on it. and now the pressure cleaning side is already bringing in over 2k (profit) a week so far this summer.

I guess im saying i shouldnt have bought the epuipment till i realy could afford it (about $13,000 i coulda had in MY pocket).

Also Dont Sell Your Self Short! (your worth more than you think)

(and the father in me is forced to remind you to STAY IN SCHOOL)

hope this helps you alittle

Good Luck

Acute Cut
06-23-2004, 08:31 AM
txlawnking has it right. I dont know about being inc. but i agree with the rest. God first of course. ALso, the better you know numbers (business schooling and degrees) the better you can know your business. I dont know mine that well and it took ALOT of fumbling along and alot of mistakes initially. I remember one job i bid at 90$. It took me a day and a half.............OOPS!:eek:

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 09:40 AM
I don't mean necessarily to become a type C or S corp, but choose a GOOD entity to opperate under, like the two previously mentioned or a limited partnership, or an limited liability company. Asset protection is vital as well as tax reasons. I myself am trying to make the best decision myself!! consult with attorneys and a few cpa's and gather opinions, before you make a decision. I hope this helps, pm me if you got a question about it.

the weed man
06-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Thank-you everyone for all the great replies. I have been reading like crazy on this site every chance I have had, but just starting out, I didn't want to make any huge mistakes right off the bat.
As for staying in school, LOL, thank-you. I am in my 30's and finished school awhile ago, but I plan to take classes (Business, management, horticulture, etc....) to help me keep up with what I need to know.
I have always worked for other people and one day just realized that was why I was so miserable. I was killing myself so someone else could have their nice house, cars, toys, etc.... I worked many long hours and never had much of a chance to spend time with my family. I can't even remember the last time I went on a vacation. I'm prepared for the long hours, hard work and everything else it is going to take to get this business rolling but I know it will pay off in the end.
Thanks again everyone, I will stick around and keep reading, learning and growing.

EastProLawn
06-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by asyracus
Do what you say you're going to do and show up on time. Never leave the job site unless it's 100%. That's exactly how I would put it. True, very, very true.

dvmcmrhp52
06-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Pace yourself for growth,growing too fast will weather your mind and your body as well as put you in a position that will make you sacrifice quality for quantity.
Don't overspend!

theweedman
07-21-2004, 10:08 PM
how much do you charge per gram?:)

Originally posted by the weed man
Hey,
I just started out my business and I was wondering.....

If you could give just one piece of advice, what would it be?

theweedman
07-21-2004, 10:17 PM
i'm just starting out too, i only have a few mowing accounts right now. i'm trying to figure out the best way to market my business.. its early on, so i'm not getting to many calls from my flyers i've put out just yet. and with my equipment i can only handle smaller lawns right now. i'm considering getting into pressure washing to.. so i can make some money while i try to build up my mowing accounts. i'm in atlanta so i think i could even do some pressure washing when the mowing season dies down. .

Originally posted by amw
pick what you want to do and stick to it.

I added pressure cleaning early on, and it realy killed me for about 2 years, then i finaly admited to myself that i couldnt do both.. so we put the washers in the garage and basicly they sat for about 3 years.
Now that things are/have been going good, i decided to dust em' off and get back into it, i found a guy who has the BEST chems. and is willing to teach. went and visited him (out of my state) and learned tons, came back and added a note to add of my customers bills saying 10% off house washing for current customers, i got slamed. i had to hire 2 guys full time to do the houses about 40% of my residential customers jumpped on it. and now the pressure cleaning side is already bringing in over 2k (profit) a week so far this summer.

I guess im saying i shouldnt have bought the epuipment till i realy could afford it (about $13,000 i coulda had in MY pocket).

Also Dont Sell Your Self Short! (your worth more than you think)

(and the father in me is forced to remind you to STAY IN SCHOOL)

hope this helps you alittle

Good Luck

viking72
07-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Do not go in debt for boy toys.
Use what you have and buy new toys with earnings.
Later,
Doug

HOOLIE
07-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Set aside money for TAXES, so you don't get F***** in April!

dvmcmrhp52
07-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Take the growth of your business at a reasonable and steady pace. Resist the temptation to take on every bit of work that comes your way just because the dollar signs look good.
Excessive growth can kill a business just as fast as no growth.