PDA

View Full Version : Redmax EB7001 vs. Echo PB 650/750...

TROTTMAN
06-23-2004, 12:59 AM
I have been on ebay and some equipment websites and have found some good deals on the Echo PB650 and PB750 blowers and the Redmax EB7001 and EB7001RH(tube trigger).

They both blow pretty hard, I think the Redmax has slighty better numbers, but not a ton better. They also both have 2 year commercial warrenties as well, which is better than most.

I was going to get the Husqvarna 165BT (their biggest blowerm, 59.2cc), but I realized it was only as powerful as the Echo PB603 and Redmax 5000 series and 4400 series. All of these in this paragraph are about $400.

So my question is are there any other blowers that are in the same catagory as the EB7001 and PB650/750? I think Maruyama kind of makes one, but I don't know much about it. The Stihl is pretty underpowered, worse than the Husqvarna 165BT.

The Shindaiwas are pretty good (the 630s), but they only come in the hip trigger style.

What do y'all think? Right now I can get the Echo PB650 for about $460 and the Redmax EB7001 for $439. Thanks for any advice or information!

The C Man
06-23-2004, 02:26 AM
PB650 $410, PB750 $435. Shipping $25

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4309214729&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I demoed a used 650 with the hip mounted throttle and found that I really liked it like that. You set the speed and move it out of the way and you're good to go. I haven't tried a 7001 yet, but the blowers you mentioned are the same ones I'm looking at for this year's leaf season.

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 02:55 AM
I was a die hard echo backpack fan for years but one day I drove by my echo dealer and saw a redmax sign where the echo one was. I asked him why he switched and he said redmax was better and the parts were much easier to get. I was all ready to buy a PB750 (with the throttle on the tube which is where i prefer it) but everyone talked me into the 7001 w/the throttle on the hip. All the dirt jockeys in my area switched from echo to redmax so I figure if everyone else is they must be good....

Well It's been a year now and I'm growing to hate it more and more each day. I have yet to pull it once or twice and have the f*** thing actually start, NEVER use it in the rain and hold the throttle <ZAP:blob2: > and after only about 25 hours on it the damm thing developed a bad skip like someone was grounding it out and don't even get me started about not having the throttle on the tube...

My problem is my redmax dealer in only a few miles away and seems to be fairly good with repairs. The closest echo dealer is a little farther away and sells echo but isin't a certified repair center which puts me between a rock and a hard place.

If you have a good echo dealer near you go with the PB750!!!

TROTTMAN
06-23-2004, 04:08 AM
Thanks y'all. Anyone else have any experiences with either of these two models or know of any other models that are comperable?

Also, would I be better off saving a good deal of money and sticking with an Echo PB-603, Husqvarna 165BT, Redmax 5000 series etc, something that would blow around 530 cfm instead of 600 cfm and be a little better on gas. I don't have to blow off any huge areas, but want to only spend a minute or two at each yard. I do plan on mulching leaves this winter in Oklahoma, but all I will need the blower to do is blow leaves onto the lawn and then I will run the mower over them. Who knows, I may use it to pile leaves up possibly, but just thinking if I really need one of the really big BP blowers. There are a lot of good Echo PB603's for really good prices as well as the Redmax 5000's and Husqv. 165BT and Shindiawa's. Thanks.

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 04:14 AM
The difference between the 650 and the 750 is that the 650 has a puny air filter system and the 750 has the professional air filter system. If your just looking to blow leaves onto the lawn you could go with something cheaper but eventually your gonna want/need the big power for something...

TROTTMAN
06-23-2004, 04:24 AM
Yeah, but how much of a difference does the air filter make? Is it just an issue of how often you have to mess with the air filter? For only $25 more, I'd take the 750 I guess.

Your the first person who has said anything negative about Redmax. I have never used it myself. At least they have a 2 year warrenty! Maruyama and Echo have 2 years as well on their blowers. Husqvarna is only 1 year I think.

TROTTMAN
06-23-2004, 04:25 AM
Another question, how long does it take to fire one of these up and throw it on. It sounds like a really dumb question (and theres a good chance it is), but when I am looking at them in stores they seem bulky and like I'd spend a minute or so just getting it started on on my back ready to use. I know it will save a lot of time compared to using a handheld like I use now (ugh!), but I just gotta ask.

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 04:32 AM
Like I said in my first post, mine has less than 30 hours on it and from day one it takes 5 to 8 pulls to get it started and that's with priming and correct choking.

As far as the air system goes think of it this way, does a engine run better when it can breath or not breath???

better air system + more cleaner air flow = better running engine = more power = less engine stress = longer life:D

Keep reading more redmax discussions and you'll see people starting to complain. Redmax started out ok then got cheaper in quality.

vipermanz
06-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by TROTTMAN
Another question, how long does it take to fire one of these up and throw it on. It sounds like a really dumb question (and theres a good chance it is), but when I am looking at them in stores they seem bulky and like I'd spend a minute or so just getting it started on on my back ready to use. I know it will save a lot of time compared to using a handheld like I use now (ugh!), but I just gotta ask.

about 45 seconds on my eb7000

premier lawn care
06-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Never had a problem w/ the 7001 and I own 8. Echo is the one w/ quality problems, ever since they went in w/ Home Depot.

Tharrell
06-23-2004, 10:05 AM
I've got the 750t-tube throttle. It's got awsome straps too. I liked them so much I bought a pair for my backpack sprayer.

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Well it might be a little overkill but I went to my stihl dealer today and he told me he'd give me a ms440 mag for $600.00.

He said that the 260pro is a really good saw but If I'm looking for real power the 44 is the one I want..

What do you guys think?

Also looked at the husky 372xp. Can get that for $562.00 but my stihl dealer said there 1 ring piston doesn't hold up as good as stihl's 2 ring. He actually had a scored piston out of a husky 55 that he showed me. Said the guys overheated the machine and blew the ring due to useing a dull chain.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Gilla Gorilla
06-23-2004, 04:58 PM
If you set the choke, put the throttle at 1/3 and pull it might take me two pulls most times only one to get my 7001 started. From setting the choke to getting it off the blower rack and strapped onto my back is probably 15 seconds. Just remember to keep the right side strap adjusted tight and throw it on your right sholder first, then you just have to tighten the left strap.

Go demo both of them

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
sorry guys, my last post was supposed to be in another forum....lol
My bad:p

MikeLT1Z28
06-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by j.p.landscaping

Well It's been a year now and I'm growing to hate it more and more each day. I have yet to pull it once or twice and have the f*** thing actually start, NEVER use it in the rain and hold the throttle <ZAP:blob2: > and after only about 25 hours on it the damm thing developed a bad skip like someone was grounding it out and don't even get me started about not having the throttle on the tube...

sounds to me like your kill switch is shorting to the chasis and causing it to ground to you. took me forever to get used to starting my 7001 but it starts on the first time now, every time. flip the choke all the way down and crack the throttle open just a bit. when it fires, bring the choke back to the normal position and bring the throttle up some more. if that doesn't work, check your filter and replace your plug. it could also be related to the kill switch also (not starting right away).

luke125
06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
it takes me 2-3 pulls to start my 7001 and thats starting it cold and not priming it. and if i prime it it usually takes 1 maybe 2pulls if your unlucky

p.s if you don't have your throttle on idle will take quite a few pulls

TROTTMAN
06-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey premier lawn care,

How long have you owned your 8 EB7001s? Have you had any for a several years? I think the quality will be there with either blower. I like both of them too.

I'm just trying to get as much advice and learn as much as I can before I buy.

By the way, how exactly does the "air conditioning" (riiiiiiiiiiight...) on the Redmax. I heard it blows air on your back. Kinda nifty...

MikeLT1Z28
06-24-2004, 12:45 AM
just bring the throttle a tad above idle, when you move the lever, watch the linkage come about 1/16" of an inch off the idle screw on the linkage.

MikeLT1Z28
06-24-2004, 12:46 AM
oh, and the primer bulb on the 7000/7001 is the most useless feature i've seen. i've yet to have to use it and when i do it floods it out.

Blk94fiveOh
06-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Well i've own both an echo pb750 and a redmax 7001 (as well as an echo pb650 that was stolen) as far as power goes, I have to give echo the nod. It seems slightly more powerful than the redmax, and my 2 helpers agree. The redmax is lighter and more comfortable than the echo. I also like the redmax trigger better than the echo's. I havn't had any problems with my redmax, but i've only had it for 3 months. My 750's motor seized up about a year after I got it, they honored the warranty and gave me a brand new one. So I have to say the service for the echo has been good. I didn't have any problems with the pb-650 that I had for 2 years.

By the way, how exactly does the "air conditioning" (riiiiiiiiiiight...) on the Redmax. I heard it blows air on your back. Kinda nifty...
I love the redmax a/c. It actually works and its very refreshing. I hope the future echo's will have this feature.

Either way, I think you will be getting a great blower. They are both good choices.

TROTTMAN
06-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Blk94fiveOh,

Since you have owned both and liked both a lot, which would you choose if you could only pick one and why. Your post above really didn't put one above the other haha. Thanks.