PDA

View Full Version : Info you can use. Mods to HRC216.

dishboy
06-23-2004, 01:34 AM
I really like my Honda HRC216 but it's mulching kit results are dismal. So here is how you make it work. You remove the inner baffle [unbolt] that surrounds the blade brake. You also have to disconnect the blade brake cable to get the baffle out [then reinstall the cable]. Once I got the baffle out I cut the portion out [with a grinder, its thin metal] that covers the tranny access and rebolted that section back in. I then ground the excess off up to the bolts. This mod allows the grass to move into the center of the deck and drop instead of making a trail down the left side. I also taped all of the breather holes between the engine and deck closed. I did this before removing the baffle and it helped but I have not gone back and opened them up as the machine is now mulching right there with my TTHP. I am using the stock highlift blade sharpened to center and the Honda piggyback blade that comes with the mulching plug. I never liked the cut with the low lift blade so I have not tryed it. It might help for leaf blowout. These mods make mulching northern grasses viable with the Honda if you have control of the fert program. I hope someone can use this I am satisfied as I don't have to buy another machine now.

dishboy
06-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Update on HRC 216 mulching; I tried the factory lowlift blade from the mulch kit along with the second stacked mulch blade and the results were fantastic. I was also really pleased with the cut as it appears that removing the inner baffle changed the airflow enough that the lowlift blade is now longer leaving stragglers. It is really nice not having stinky grass in my truck.

odin
06-26-2004, 10:00 AM
i set the rpms at 3600 with the blades spinning ..that makes a difference in the cut on ours ..we only bag with our's ...turned the rpm's and put an accelarator bag on it ....but mulching was improved with the rpm's at that setting and the double blade mulch kit but still there was to much grass that would just be left laying on the lawn....i will give your suggestion a try

dishboy
06-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by odin
i set the rpms at 3600 with the blades spinning ..that makes a difference in the cut on ours ..we only bag with our's ...turned the rpm's and put an accelarator bag on it ....but mulching was improved with the rpm's at that setting and the double blade mulch kit but still there was to much grass that would just be left laying on the lawn....i will give your suggestion a try

I set all my mowers to 3600 . Another trick for wet tall grass [bagging]is to purchase a snapper lift kit for 21in blade and drill your Honda blade to use. This will knock tremendous time off your lawns in wet or tall grass, as well as stand wet grass up for a decent cut. You will need a drill press and two hard bits. One small and one the correct size as blades are really hard.