PDA

View Full Version : What model Stihl chainsaw should I get?

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 03:07 AM
I tried to post this question on arboristsite.com but for some reason it's not letting me post anything so I'll try it here....

I am looking for a kick a** stihl chainsaw for basic landscape work. I'm not going to be cutting cords and cords of firewood or taking down 20 trees a day but I want something with mega balls that won't let me down when I need it. My uses would be some firewood cutting and some tree removal and dropping some limbs off overgrown trees.

HOWEVER.......I don't want to spend $700.00+ dollars for it either.
I like stihl and know there reputation in the industry but people say husky's are awesome too. The stihl 260pro cought my eye but it's considered stihl's lowest mid-range model and the 290 farm boss looks good too but I have read mixed reviews on them.

Any suggestions guys????

Thanks!!
Jay

Potchkins
06-23-2004, 03:16 AM
STIHL MS 260 PRO

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Why?
And how is stihl's service if I should need it?

Thanks pot...

Potchkins
06-23-2004, 03:51 AM
both dealers in my area are great
the turn-around time is un believeable
while you wait - same day- next day

why the 260 :10.6 lbs / 3.5 bhp
and a metal crankcase

protouchlawn
06-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Look at the MS310. Great middle-of the-road saw.

polecat63
06-23-2004, 07:57 AM
The 044 is an awesome saw. It's probably close to that $700 mark, but well worth it. It has power to spare and is very rugged.

geogunn
06-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I used to enjoy using the 029 farm boss. that is an old number but it was a tough saw with lots of guts.

GEO

primecutmo
06-23-2004, 09:27 AM
protouch
i agree the 310 is a great saw. if you look at the 290 310 they weigh the same about 13 lbs if you are going to lug around 13 lbs wouldnt you want the most power you can get for the weight. i think they make a model that is one up from the 310 now and it weighs the same but has more power. id look at that before id buy

primecutmo
06-23-2004, 09:35 AM
the 390 is the saw that is larger than 310 id go with either of thoes

Potchkins
06-23-2004, 09:43 AM
MS 290 13.2 lbs 3.75 bhp
that is only .25 bhp more than the 260
1.5 lbs heavier so why bother

if the 260 w/16" bar aint enuf

look at the
MS 361 : 4.3 bhp 12.3 lbs
with a 20" bar but make sure you get the low kickback chain

Originally posted by primecutmo
the 390 is the saw that is larger than 310 id go with either of thoes

MS290 / MS310 / MS390
all three are still 13.2 lbs

all degree
06-23-2004, 09:53 AM
I have the 021. If you are like me tree work is something that happens and not something I look to do. This saw was relatively inexpensive $385?? and it kicks butt. I have used it to take down trees that are 35ft + with 4ft diameter trunks. It is really all I will ever need in terms of power. I think any middle of the road Stihl will serve your needs well

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Unfortunatelly, jp Stihl no longer makes the best saw ever made in the size you looking for, the legendary 08s. I have to agree with POtchkis the ms 260 is a great unit. If you could find an 08s in dealer stock still though, GRAB IT you could pass it on to your grandkids.

odorisio
06-23-2004, 10:26 AM
i seriously doubt any landscaper needs a 3 series saw or higher?

i could be wrong, but i have a ms280 with an 18 inch bar, and it has served me PLENTY well, come on we are landscapers, not tree cutters/arborists.

i would recommend going with a 260 pro though, they seem to be more rugged, then my 280.

i have worked with my grandad doing brush cleanup on his farm for many hours and his 026 kicks butt.

also i really recommend chaps!!! i never make a cut without them,

Florida 5 Star
06-23-2004, 10:32 AM
MS440 24" bar
It might cost the $700 but it is darn worth it
I have used one at the fire department for years with out a glitch So I put up some more $$ and now I have one for my side business and never looked back
I will cut most anything from a metal garage door to roofing material and then the go cut trees
It is the Ginsu of chain saws

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Florida 5 Star
MS440 24" bar
It might cost the $700 but it is darn worth it
I have used one at the fire department for years with out a glitch So I put up some more $$ and now I have one for my side business and never looked back
I will cut most anything from a metal garage door to roofing material and then the go cut trees
It is the Ginsu of chain saws

I wouldn't try this without Stihl's carbide chain!!! And BTW that chain is really high dollar!!!!:D

Mindless
06-23-2004, 12:19 PM
From my experience with Stihl, their customer service is top notch. I purchased an entry level chain saw and had problems with it. Stihl offered me a couple of options after owning saw for a couple of months: return saw for full refund or upgrade to another Stihl saw using my saw as trade in at it's full purchase price. I traded for Farm Boss 029 and no regrets.

dirty mo possy
06-23-2004, 12:38 PM
I also think that the ms260 is the best. It has been a great saw for me. Plenty of power with the 16" bar.

Canon Landscaping
06-23-2004, 02:23 PM
get the 260 i have 2 026s the old model and i love them

j.p.landscaping
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Well it might be a little overkill but I went to my stihl dealer today and he told me he'd give me a ms440 mag for $600.00.

He said that the 260pro is a really good saw but If I'm looking for real power the 44 is the one I want..

What do you guys think?

Also looked at the husky 372xp. Can get that for $562.00 but my stihl dealer said there 1 ring piston doesn't hold up as good as stihl's 2 ring. He actually had a scored piston out of a husky 55 that he showed me. Said the guys overheated the machine and blew the ring due to useing a dull chain.

Thanks for all the help guys!

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Unless your felling large tree's all day long, I'd say your dealer is trying to upsell you an overkill saw, by the way if you will be using it all day a saw that size will get really heavy.

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Extreme overkill actually. An 260 with a sharp chain and Stihl oil will rip through even railroad ties no problem.

LawnSmith
06-24-2004, 12:38 AM
its funny actually....we have about 6-7 chainsaws and all but 1 of them are Stihl products. we have two 028 "wood boss" saws, a "farm boss", a pole pruner, a big Poulan pro with a 28" bar, an 026 stihl, and finally the 200T Pro Arborist saw.

the 200T is the lightest gas powered saw that stihl offers. some of you guys that are talking about 3 and 4 hundred series saws may find this funny but, the 200T gets more use than almost all the saws put together(except the pole pruner). the 200T for those that dont know, is a "one handed" top handle pruning saw that comes with a 16" bar. it comes in so handy on smaller trees and limbs to have 1 hand free to hold the wood you are cutting, throw limbs as you cut, move logs, etc.

i would be willing to bet that i could cut up a downed tree faster with the 200T than some of you guys could with a much larger and more powerful saw.

what are you guys going to do when you need to thin a tree out and its too tight to use a pole saw? the 200T is your answer my friends. the lanyard kit with climbing belt is unbeatable when topping, thinning, or pruning trees from within.

for those of you that havent seen one, here is a picture....

http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/chainsaws/MS200T.gif

Pecker
06-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Potchkins

look at the
MS 361 : 4.3 bhp 12.3 lbs
with a 20" bar but make sure you get the low kickback chain

I rented an MS310 today to hack up a large tree I felled yesterday and have decided to drop about a dozen more so renting is going to get expensive. Therefore I'm trying to decide which to buy. Must have at least 20" chain. The MS310 is very nice and I like it alot. Does anyone know the MSRP for this unit?

Also, I'm considering the MS 361 (listed in Stihl's professional column) and would like to know the MSRP for that as well. Since both saws are comparable in size, does anyone know what makes the 361 a "professional" model?

Thanks in advance. Dealer is closed till Monday and I'd like to pretty much know what I wanna do before then.

PS- looking for a good all-around saw for both felling and hacking up once on the ground.

Potchkins
06-26-2004, 10:30 PM
sawman .... here's one for (see above)

Pecker
06-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah Sawman, pretty please. . .;)

twwlawn
06-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I got a 026 and 044, more you run them the stronger they get. The 260 replaced the 026, don't know the prices on it. I have not been shopping for chain saws in years, those two I have been going with no problems.

deadend
06-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Forget the 290/310/390 saws. They are homeowner units no matter what else you hear about them. They are as heavy as a 440/044 with no balls or durability.

The 026/260 is prob. all the saw you will need and is extremely durable.

If you need more power get an 036/360. If you need to run at least 24" of bar them get an 044/440 and you will be thrilled.

As far as the Husky thing goes, I was a diehard Stihl fan until biting the bullet after many recommendations and bought a 372. I have been thrilled with this saw and will say that it is the best saw I've ever owned. Lower vibration than the Stihls, mad power and great powerband. I opened up the muffler and adjusted the carb and this saw rips. I run anywhere from a 18" to a 32" bar with no probs. In addition the Huskys are less expensive than the Stihls.

Lastly, forget the low-kickback chain. It is junk. If you consider yourself a pro then learn how to use a pro saw with pro chain an learn how to sharpen it and keep it that wayl.

txlawnking
06-27-2004, 12:42 AM
I didn't want to hurt anyones feeling but I totally agree with Deadend. The 290-390 series are the worst stihl makes IMHO. I used to work for NES and we had some of those models,they spent more time broken than cutting...Mean while the good ole' 08s's kept on trucking. IF ANY of you know where I can get an 08s pm me I'd really like to find one as stihl no longer makes it.

LeoS818
06-27-2004, 11:08 AM
We have a 660 with carbide blades that is used for railroad tie work. THe carbide blades are kinda high priced, but do last longer.

Pecker
06-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Deadend,

I was wondering what the difference is between the MS310 and the MS361. The Stihl website doesn't do a very good job of selling me on why I should pay an extra $150 for seemingly the same unit. The only difference I can find is that the engine is possibly a little heavier duty.

Also, I'm kinda of leaning toward the MS 390. You mentioned that Husky makes a great saw. Which model would you recommend to be comparable to or better than Stihl's 390 and would it be considered "commercial duty"?

I'm looking for the heaviest duty saw at the lowest cost of course.
Thanks.

j.p.landscaping
06-27-2004, 02:29 PM
go to :www.baileys-online.com
They have the lowest price on husky saws and only charge about $20.00 to ship.

I was thinking of getting the husky 372xpw:
372XP full wrap
Cylinder displacement cu. in. (cc) 4.3 (71)
Engine Power hp (kW) 5.4 3.9)
Maximum No-load RPM 13,500
Fuel tank volume pts. (liters) 1.63 (.77)
Bar Oil Capacity pts. (liters) 0.84 (0.40)
Recommended bar length 16-33 inch
Chain pitch 3/8 inch
Weight without bar & chain 14.75 lbs
Power to weight ration kW/kg .64

Think that would be more than enough for ya....

TheKingNJ
06-27-2004, 03:46 PM
036 rocks..............................................

Liberty Lawncare
06-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I like Husquvarnia the 350 or farm boss are great saws. All the Stihl products ive used in the past were a PITA to start.

Potchkins
06-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by ******
Deadend,

I was wondering what the difference is between the MS310 and the MS361. The Stihl website doesn't do a very good job of selling me on why I should pay an extra $150 for seemingly the same unit. The only difference I can find is that the engine is possibly a little heavier duty.

Also, I'm kinda of leaning toward the MS 390. You mentioned that Husky makes a great saw. Which model would you recommend to be comparable to or better than Stihl's 390 and would it be considered "commercial duty"?

Thanks.

Originally posted by deadend
Forget the 290/310/390 saws. They are homeowner units no matter what else you hear about them. They are as heavy as a 440/044 with no balls or durability.

The 026/260 is prob. all the saw you will need and is extremely durable.

If you need more power get an 036/360. If you need to run at least 24" of bar them get an 044/440 and you will be thrilled.

Originally posted by txlawnking
I didn't want to hurt anyones feeling but I totally agree with Deadend. The 290-390 series are the worst stihl makes IMHO. I used to work for NES and we had some of those models,they spent more time broken than cutting.

the 260P is 10.6 lbs w/3.5bhp
use with a 16"bar

the 361 is 12.3 lbs w/4.3bhp
use withe a 20" bar

the 440M is 13.5 lbs w/5.3bhp
use with a 24" bar

the 290/310/390 are 13.2 lbs ea.
290 has 3.75bhp
310 has 4.00bhp
390 has 4.30bhp
my point is get the most power for the
weight you are willing to carry
forget price

deadend
06-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Again I'll say that if you want a cheap saw for cheap then go to K-mart and get a Poulan wild thing.

If you want a cheap saw for more money get a Stihl 290/310/390.

There is a reason the 361 costs more than the 390 even though they advertise the same power. It is a better saw, and a commercial unit. The 390 weighs as much as the 440 for alot less power? That is stupid.

I like Stihl and Husky and have both. Husky makes great saws for less usually. Try Alamia.com and Powermadeeasy.com for good deals on Huskys.

Lastly, razors and knives and mowers have blades, CHAINSAWS HAVE BARS AND CHAINS.:)

deadend
06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ******
Deadend,

Thanks.

The 361 is a pro saw with better anti-vibe, more torque, a better sprocket, and heavier built all around. You are not getting the same saw in the 310 for $150 less. If you'd like to carry around extra weight though then the 390 or 310 would be great.

Pecker
06-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the replys.

CCL/arborist
07-02-2004, 12:45 AM
sounds like a 280 would be enough i use a 361 for my needs but i do a lot of tree work please wear saw chaps seen alot of people in the emergency room from not wearing them.

Pecker
07-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Arborist,

What exactly are the saw chaps for? . . .debris? the chain if it breaks and flies off? loosing control of the saw itself?

Also, how often would one have to use a saw to justify the costs? I will be felling about a dozen trees in my backyard over the next few months (weekend use category).

Thanks.

txlawnking
07-02-2004, 03:08 PM
******, the chaps are to protect you from a cut from the saw, The way they work is if you hit them with the chain, it rips this special material up thats inside the chaps and it bogs the saw down so you legs don't get jacked... They are an excellent idea but nothing will replace common sense and special training in the safe use of a saw...

txlawnking
07-02-2004, 03:09 PM
PS, (******) why is your name stared out?

Pecker
07-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Oh ok. Thanks Txlawnking. Do you know if they are expensive?

I don't know why it stars my name out. It has always done that when people try to refer to me. All I can figure is that it is on some sort of list of unacceptable words, for whatever reason. Its one of those words that could be used in a vulgar way I guess (although that is not my intent), like thousands of others. Yet curse words (most of which have only one meaning in our language) make it through with no problem. Go figure.

Sam-Ohio
07-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Deadend says "If you want a cheap saw for cheap then go to K-Mart and get a Poulan Wildthing"

If you look at any model of Husky that is less than 3 cu. inch, then it is just a Poulan - but painted orange insted of green.

Sears Craftsman saws [colored silver and black] , Poulan saws[colored puke green], Husqvarna small saws[colored orange] All of these are the same exact machine, only difference at all is the color !

The Husqvarna saw line is now sold at Tractor Supply Co. and at your local friendly Lowes Stores too. It's sold mail order at Baileys and Northern Hydraulics catalogue.
They saw that McCulloch, and Homelite had finally crashed and burned, after loosing their servicing dealers because they were sold in all the discounters - so it looks like Husqvarna wants to play suicide games also.

DALMlawn&landscaping
07-03-2004, 03:30 AM
i've never met an oak or mesquite that our husq 55 rancher couldn't punch out with one hit. how ironic, we use it at my boss' ranch! haha, wow, anyways, too many lonestar beers, but as long as the blade is sharp, i bet i could take down my house in an hour. yeah, so some say its alittle heavy, grow some muscle and quit yer whinning. for some reason i like husq, maybe its because of the cool orange color and hard name to pronounce. oh by the way, what was the husq? 350? that has the self oiling thing, i can't stand auto oil, you get stuff in there and then next thing you know, no oil getting to the chain... i need to find me a couple of old school chainsaws... nothing beats an old smokey loud chain saw.

p.s. you can buy two ranchers for 700 bucks....

JimmyKsellssaws
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I tried to post this question on arboristsite.com but for some reason it's not letting me post anything so I'll try it here....

I am looking for a kick a** stihl chainsaw for basic landscape work. I'm not going to be cutting cords and cords of firewood or taking down 20 trees a day but I want something with mega balls that won't let me down when I need it. My uses would be some firewood cutting and some tree removal and dropping some limbs off overgrown trees.

HOWEVER.......I don't want to spend $700.00+ dollars for it either.
I like stihl and know there reputation in the industry but people say husky's are awesome too. The stihl 260pro cought my eye but it's considered stihl's lowest mid-range model and the 290 farm boss looks good too but I have read mixed reviews on them.
Any suggestions guys????

Thanks!!

Sounds like you need a Stihl 026 MS260 or Husqvarna 55 or 61. Saw dealers are like truck enthusiast, some like ford some chevy. As far as how good these saws are either company is great both are equal in durability/longevity and service is easy to do and or obtain. Definately the leaders in the Saw business. which is better I wouldn't say I have both and sell both. I dont prefer one over the other. If I was looking for a saw for what you need I would go a little bigger than an 026, and put a smaller bar on to cut down on weight. An 044 is a good all-around saw as well as the Husqvarna 61, If you decide to buy one I have an 044 on ebay heres the item number 7771799059.

Fubba
06-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I have the Husky 359, and it is a beast. I've used it quite a number of times on quite a few things and have had no trouble whatsoever.

Signature Landscaping1
06-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Echo 360T, Check out the pics forum, i just posted pics of my new one.

Smokerr
02-26-2009, 01:47 AM
What you are saying your requirement is, and what you want for a saw are in complete contradiction of each other.

Your stated need does not require a kick ass saw, your stated need is for an occasional use saw, or a low end mid range use saw.

I hate the terms that are used, but that's what we have to live with if we are going to talk the same terms that Stihl uses.

I am no expert on the rest of the saw mfgs, but you said you liked Stihl saws, and those are my all time favorite (more an emotional attachment than heavy use, but its a strong emotional attachment.

Any Stihl saw can be pushed to the max and not quit on you, so anything g from an MS170 on up to a Ms290 covers both of what you want.

Now, an MS170 is not going to stand up to being used 4+ hours a day 5 days a week, its not designed for that. For something around $200, it gets you a saw that will take on anything (you would have to work around a large cut) as long as you do that occasionally. The rest of the time it would do what you want on general all around work (16 inch bar available).

the other end of the spectrum is the 290. For your use that's truly a kick ass saw and far in excess of your needs. But, if having the go pup makes you happy, then its a terrific buy and saw.

My favorite is the MS270 (which is what I have). It costs as much as the MS290, but its a far newer saw design wise, and its anti vibration system is so good that vibration simply is not an aspect if using it. Zero, nada, gone.

An MS200 is nuts for price, but its made in Germany, if that give you a thrill, you can spend the $600 plus on that.

Probably the absolute best bang for the buck is the MS361 at something around $600.

Why do I like Stihl: Too many years surveying with Homelights that were heavy and slow. A couple years with Stihls that were a joy to carry (light) and would cut as much as you needed.

I could well have gone with the MS290, though it was in excess of my needs. But I played with both, and the 270 just felt better, had what I needed and I got it. I got 30 cords of wood under its chain and its just running better all the time. Another guy reports 70 cords and going strong.

In my case, kick ass would have been the MS361, but at $200 more, I didn't need it, and money was an object.

What you really want to do ideally is get just a bit more saw than you need, but not go overboard. Most people need to hit someplace close to what they need without going overboard. If money is no object and you want to shoot for the moon, then an MS880 at $1700 will get you there.

K/B
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Deadend says "If you want a cheap saw for cheap then go to K-Mart and get a Poulan Wildthing"

If you look at any model of Husky that is less than 3 cu. inch, then it is just a Poulan - but painted orange insted of green.

Sears Craftsman saws [colored silver and black] , Poulan saws[colored puke green], Husqvarna small saws[colored orange] All of these are the same exact machine, only difference at all is the color !

The Husqvarna saw line is now sold at Tractor Supply Co. and at your local friendly Lowes Stores too. It's sold mail order at Baileys and Northern Hydraulics catalogue.
They saw that McCulloch, and Homelite had finally crashed and burned, after loosing their servicing dealers because they were sold in all the discounters - so it looks like Husqvarna wants to play suicide games also.

Quite a few untruths in that post:

Statement:
If you look at any model of Husky that is less than 3 cu. inch, then it is just a Poulan - but painted orange insted of green

Fact:
Only the following models are made in a Poulan factory: 235, 240, 41, 36, 141, 136, 142, 137. All the rest (including anything under 3.0 cu in) are made in Sweden.

Statement:
The Husqvarna saw line is now sold at Tractor Supply Co. and at your local friendly Lowes Stores too.

Fact:
Not the whole line. Only the cheap homeowner models. You will not find a pro model (XP models) at TSC or Lowes.

Statement:
It's sold mail order at Baileys and Northern Hydraulics catalogue.

Fact:
Husqvarna forced Bailey's to quit selling online. You can only buy a Husqvarna from Bailey's if you live near one of their retail outlets. Northern Hydraulics only sells a few of the cheapest models.

To the OP:
If you want a real kick @ss saw, check if you have any DOLMAR dealers near by. If so, buy a PS-5100s PRO saw, the hottest hot-rod in it's class! Made in Germany, too. And it won't kick your wallet's @ss, either. If you can afford it, buy a PS-7900...you'll be grinning everytime you use it, and you won't ever need another saw.

LockwoodLawn
02-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I bought a Stihl MS 250 last summer to do the same thing and that saw works Great!!
And its not that expensive

Nick's Lawn Care
02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
What you are saying your requirement is, and what you want for a saw are in complete contradiction of each other.

Your stated need does not require a kick ass saw, your stated need is for an occasional use saw, or a low end mid range use saw.

I hate the terms that are used, but that's what we have to live with if we are going to talk the same terms that Stihl uses.

I am no expert on the rest of the saw mfgs, but you said you liked Stihl saws, and those are my all time favorite (more an emotional attachment than heavy use, but its a strong emotional attachment.

Any Stihl saw can be pushed to the max and not quit on you, so anything g from an MS170 on up to a Ms290 covers both of what you want.

Now, an MS170 is not going to stand up to being used 4+ hours a day 5 days a week, its not designed for that. For something around $200, it gets you a saw that will take on anything (you would have to work around a large cut) as long as you do that occasionally. The rest of the time it would do what you want on general all around work (16 inch bar available).

the other end of the spectrum is the 290. For your use that's truly a kick ass saw and far in excess of your needs. But, if having the go pup makes you happy, then its a terrific buy and saw.

My favorite is the MS270 (which is what I have). It costs as much as the MS290, but its a far newer saw design wise, and its anti vibration system is so good that vibration simply is not an aspect if using it. Zero, nada, gone.

An MS200 is nuts for price, but its made in Germany, if that give you a thrill, you can spend the $600 plus on that.

Probably the absolute best bang for the buck is the MS361 at something around $600.

Why do I like Stihl: Too many years surveying with Homelights that were heavy and slow. A couple years with Stihls that were a joy to carry (light) and would cut as much as you needed.

I could well have gone with the MS290, though it was in excess of my needs. But I played with both, and the 270 just felt better, had what I needed and I got it. I got 30 cords of wood under its chain and its just running better all the time. Another guy reports 70 cords and going strong.

In my case, kick ass would have been the MS361, but at $200 more, I didn't need it, and money was an object.

What you really want to do ideally is get just a bit more saw than you need, but not go overboard. Most people need to hit someplace close to what they need without going overboard. If money is no object and you want to shoot for the moon, then an MS880 at $1700 will get you there.

The 361 is a great saw and has a great power to weight.

All though i disagree with the 200, it is well worth the $600 price tag! And it is not just made in Germany it is a whole different saw than the 192...

nmurph
02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
the OP was 5 yrs ago, dragged fwd 3 yrs ago and resurected recently by a noob.

Smokerr
02-26-2009, 03:41 PM
We agree on the MS361, though its far more saw than I need.

The question is, is a 2.1 BHP saw worth $619 (14 inch bar)? If you really look at it, what it is is a Pro saw hiding out in the Occasional saw use area.

Looking at the figures, its lighter than the MS192, puts out .4 more hp, so yes its a mini kick ass saw.

If you are willing to pack a bit more weight around (2 lb) then you can save $250 by going to the 210 for the same hp. If I was doing it part time, that's the way I would go.

If I was running a saw all day 5 days a week, maybe swinging around in trees all day long, then the MS200 might well be worth the investment.

Occasional use, not even close (unless you have money to burn, most of us don't, we have to make prudent choices).

The reality is that you need to throw out their system, and go with your use pattern.

As much as I like to think of myself as a might North Woodsman who should be runnign a Pro saw, the reality (and budget) is that I am an occasional use type.

Sometimes I am out every weekend cutting 1/2-3/4 cord of wood, and other times, months go by when I do not cut at all.

While an MS200 is obviously quite the saw would not cut it in my applications.

I could use the MS270 in light application going with a 16 inch bar, though I would pay a weight penalty of 4 lbs over an MS200 to do so. As long as I did not to it a lot, it would work ok.

Its a complex decision, not helped by a poor way of comparing the saws.

In my case, as I had not used a saw in years, I spent a lot of time disusing it with the dealer and used my past experience, and his current experience and knowledge of the saw line to make a decision. Its worked out very well.

SouthSide Cutter
02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Had a old 041AV and it was a great saw. Have a 310 and 460 now. The first two numbers if its even are Pro saws and uneven are homeowner. My 310 is about the same as a 360. Run both and you would buy the 360. Always like longer bars 24 - 28, this dont mean you have to cut larger wood all the time BUT YOU CAN if you want to. And you dont have to bend over as much. I just dont like a saw to bog down, like to see the chips fly.
The big Huskys are good saws also. And do a good job of keeping air filter clean like the new Stihls.

Nick's Lawn Care
02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
We agree on the MS361, though its far more saw than I need.

The question is, is a 2.1 BHP saw worth $619 (14 inch bar)? If you really look at it, what it is is a Pro saw hiding out in the Occasional saw use area.

Looking at the figures, its lighter than the MS192, puts out .4 more hp, so yes its a mini kick ass saw.

If you are willing to pack a bit more weight around (2 lb) then you can save $250 by going to the 210 for the same hp. If I was doing it part time, that's the way I would go.

If I was running a saw all day 5 days a week, maybe swinging around in trees all day long, then the MS200 might well be worth the investment.

Occasional use, not even close (unless you have money to burn, most of us don't, we have to make prudent choices).

The reality is that you need to throw out their system, and go with your use pattern.

As much as I like to think of myself as a might North Woodsman who should be runnign a Pro saw, the reality (and budget) is that I am an occasional use type.

Sometimes I am out every weekend cutting 1/2-3/4 cord of wood, and other times, months go by when I do not cut at all.

While an MS200 is obviously quite the saw would not cut it in my applications.

I could use the MS270 in light application going with a 16 inch bar, though I would pay a weight penalty of 4 lbs over an MS200 to do so. As long as I did not to it a lot, it would work ok.

Its a complex decision, not helped by a poor way of comparing the saws.

In my case, as I had not used a saw in years, I spent a lot of time disusing it with the dealer and used my past experience, and his current experience and knowledge of the saw line to make a decision. Its worked out very well.

Well put...Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Smokerr
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Danke shoern!