PDA

View Full Version : Kid got a hold of the fertilizer.... new sod install Price

twins_lawn_care
06-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Well, I got a call for an estimate, and the man on the phone says his lawn has brown spots, can I come out and give an estimate for installing new sod. Sure, I go out there.
When I get there, it looks like someone was designing a racecourse all over this guys lawn, and I look at the boy standing there, and ask him "Did you get a hold of the fertilizer spreader?" He just starts laughing....

Anyways, this brings me to my question.

I need to bid on ripping out (or killing and tilling) 5500 square feet of sod. This will be my first job of this size, and wanted to get some helpful input on this.

I figure my costs will involve:

sod cutter rental $100
disposal cost (figured in $300)
sod $900
labor

With the backyard being the largest area, and too small of a walkway to set the pallets back there, there will be alot of extra barrowing of the rolls. I estimate there to be a lot of work on the prep side as well, being as though it just got hit with some heavy fertilizer.

I'd appreciate any help/advice/comments on this bid, as I'd like to set it up for the next few weeks.

I came out with approximately $2600 as a first ballpark figure, let me know if I'm way off, or in the area.

This is KBG by the way

Thanks for all the help everyone, the boys sure could use some new shoes!

crawdad
06-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Definately get us a pic
Crawdad

Tharrell
06-23-2004, 10:08 AM
What kind of sod/grass are you using?

twins_lawn_care
06-23-2004, 10:14 AM
It will be Kentucky Blue Grass sod rolls in 1.5' x 6' rolls.

I'll get a pic when I drop off the estimate, it will be a good opportunity for before/after shots if I get the job.

NC Big Daddy
06-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Sq feet?
Slopped area or Flat?
Irrigation?
Here in this area sod runs .45-.52 a sq foot which includes prep.

Also don't worry about a sod cutter, just use a bobcat.

scott in the soo
06-23-2004, 10:39 AM
$1200.00 after expenses is not much at all.. for a job like that you should at least look to make $80.00/hr for your self plus add in your profit margin. i like to run at a 40% margin after i have paid myself.. it's hard work, charge accordingly.

twins_lawn_care
06-23-2004, 10:46 AM
the area is entirely flat.
thanks for the help thus far guys, it is helping me think it through. Seems my bid may be on the low end so far.

Another question.

Do you guys recommend using the sod cutter and removing the entire lawn, or simply using round up on it, waiting a couple weeks, and tilling it out to prep for the sod?

I have heard of both ways, but have not used either. the round up tiller route seems more appealing to me at first glance, but I am more interested in the better route for the success of the lawn.

dlandscaping
06-23-2004, 11:59 AM
I would just use the sod cutter. I rather hire some people and wheelbarrow the cut lawn back to the truck to be dumped, even though it will way a lot, than rototill, then rake out the clumps, rototill again and rerake. The best success would be removing the lawn with very minimal roots using the sod cutter, and then rototilling it.

twins_lawn_care
06-24-2004, 09:22 AM
I am guessing I am in a good neighborhood for the price, as I have yet to be caned for it.
Thanks for all the help guys, and keep them coming in.

dlandscaping
06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I think that I would charge more. Can a bobcat fit into the back yard? It may not seem like it but liftiing or even tilling all that grass will take a while. I'd charge $1800-2000 for buying/laying the sod, because of the gated back yard. + 300 dump fee + 100 rental fee + 50 in gas = 2250-2450. I think ripping out all of the grass 5500 sq ft is worth more than $300.

EagleLandscape
06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
What about hydro seeding?

The customer is gonna shell out thousands of dollar because of bad-fertilization?