PDA

View Full Version : Need some wisdom

QC Lawn Services
06-23-2004, 10:34 AM
My business partner and I are new to the business. Most of our lawns are residential and we have been handling them with 21" mowers. We are thinking of purchasing another, but would like to get some opinions on whether it would serve us better to purchase a 32" or 36" WB instead. We have gates at most of the houses that we do so that is something that we have to take into consideration. Also, what brand would you folks recommend, fixed deck or floating deck, motor HP, hydro or gear, or anything else that might come to mind.

This site has been very useful for us and we have appreciated the insight and experience that everyone is willing to give. Thanks.

dlandscaping
06-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Go out and measure the gates. All but one of the houses with gates that we do can fit a 36". If most of your properties can only fit a 32", then get that. A fixed deck is fine for such a small mower, but go hydro.

mkwl
06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Get a Bob-Cat!!!! I love my 48" Bob-Cat, belt drive ( I don't want a hydro) w/15 hp Kawasaki and I love it! All Bob-Cat mowers are really tough and cut and stripe fantastically!!! Definitely get a Bob-Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rollacosta
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
ferris hydro every time with 48 deck

Mark McC
06-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Regarding brand, do not ignore the need for a dealer who stands behind the product. The mowers described above are good mowers, as are many others. On the other hand, if the dealer stinks, so will your experience.

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
I'd get a Gravely 34z if you've got the coin for a hydro you may as well ride!!!

KL Squared
06-23-2004, 03:22 PM
36 " hydro will fit through any gate that I have in my area. A walk behind is fine but as earleir stated a Gravely 36" zero turn will increase production considerably. If you are defintiely looking to expand then consider the rider.

EagleLandscape
06-23-2004, 03:26 PM
First off, all you northerns have mostly larger gates than we do here in Dallas. Secondly, QC Lawn Services: How big are your properties? If they are under 7k sq feet of grass, a wb probably wont benifit you. Third, our grass won't stripe in the summer, and thats just pretty much a fact, so don't bother with which one stripes better. What kind of mowers does the dealer you shop at carry? Are you happy with their service, if so, that should be a good clue as to what brand you should highly consider. Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.