PDA

View Full Version : Which of these 3 ZTR's would you recommend to buy?

Steve1
06-23-2004, 11:31 AM
I've narrowed my choices down after demoing nearly every make out there (that has a dealer reasonably close) to the following five units.

Deere 777 - 60", 27HP Kaw Liquid Cooled - $7695

Hustler Super Z - 60", 27 HP Kohler Air Cooled (Demo - 50 hours) - $6650

Grasshopper 227/61 - 61", 27HP Kohler Air Cooled - $7785

Exmark Lazer Z - 60", 27HP Kohler Air Cooled - $7395

Toro Z-Master 555/557 - 60", 25HP Kaw or 27HP Koh (both air cooled) - $7500

The Hustler has a great price and I would get full factory warranty. Just wondering if you guys also would go that way or would you still buy one of the others.

My ranking of choice is:

1st: Hustler Super Z
2nd: Deere 777
3rd: Exmark Lazer Z/Toro/Grasshopper - all equal, the Toro dealer is closest but the other two dealers aren't that much further.

Quality of cut after demoing was that the Grasshopper and the Deere did the best but all were fairly close. The Deere handled taller, wet stuff best of all of them but the others did a great job on normal turf/grass height cutting it to ~3". The Hustler did seem to lose some vacuum and missed a few straqglers at higher speed and at a higher deck setting (over 3").

Suggestions? I'm buying today or tomorrow.

Steve1
06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Sorry, the topic should have said "Which of these 5 ZTR's would you recommend to buy?".

jpmako
06-23-2004, 01:21 PM
The Deere

I demoed one about a month ago, same machine 777 27hp 60"
Going to order one this saturday. It is an awesome machine.
I was quoted $8600.00 So I guess that my dealer should have some room to move an that price! I would like to stay under $8600 with Taxes. Hopefully they are willing to do that!
Anyway I have had many John Deere Commercial Products and love them. Good Luck with whatever you get.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
06-23-2004, 01:30 PM
I have the Hustler Super Z 28EFI and a Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI, I like the controls of the Super Z better, the Super Z feels alot more stable than the Lazer also. My next riders will be Super Z's.

protouchlawn
06-23-2004, 01:30 PM
I have the 757 with the 60" deck. I demoed the 777 but it had the 72" deck which I really did't want. This was the only 777 they had in stock and I was ready to buy so I went with the 757. IMO, it is one of the best ZTR's built today. Gorgeous cut, great hillside stability, and dependable. I am trying to decide if I want another one(777 this time) or one of the 657 QuikTrak standers.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Dont forget to figure in dealer support also....

chuckers
06-23-2004, 01:59 PM
i have grasshoppers but i am looking towards scag you should not forget abt scag

captken
06-23-2004, 02:33 PM
I would get one with a suspension seat....

Not a deeply cushioned seat.

One with a Fabricated deck....

Not a stamped steel deck.

I would buy the one from the guys that were

the first to introduce a

true zero radious turning mower.

www.hustlerturfequipment.com

GLS
06-23-2004, 04:14 PM
My vote goes to the Deere:) We've been extremely happy with our 757.

Trevors Lawn Care
06-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Nicks Lawn Care
Dont forget to figure in dealer support also....

man he is not lying.. i am ready to sell my Z because dealer sucks!

trevor

Steve1
06-23-2004, 04:18 PM
What advantage does a fabricated deck have over Deere's 7 Guage stamped deck? I've looked beneath both and the stamped deck is much smoother transition wise. Also, it is a little deeper (5.75" vs 5 or 5.5 depending upon which brand you look at) and that seems to be an advantage too.

Why fabbed over stamped?

GLS
06-23-2004, 04:28 PM
The theory is a stamped deck is not as strong as a fabricated deck. People will also try to make you believe that a fabricated deck leaves a better cut than a stamped deck. This is true in some cases, if you are comparing a commercial fabricated deck to a homeowner stamped deck. But deere is uses an exclusive 7-guage stamped deck. Leaves a beautiful cut and is tough as nails. I think people just don't want to believe it is strong enough. If you've demoed both types and were happy with either, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve1
06-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, the Deere deck far and away gave the best cut, especially in adverse conditions. I know that it isn't supposed to be that way (from what I've read here, exMark is the big dog) but that's how it came out on my grass with side by side demos on various mowers.

I loved the cut with the 7 Iron. It was absolutely flawless at any speed. All were good - no doubt there. I didn't see any that made me say 'No' just because of cut in normal conditions only. If I eliminated a machine from my list, it was either because of overall dislike (for a variety of reasons) or the lack of solid and nearby dealer support.

Apparently, it just isn't the 'same old John Deere' anymore since the 7 Iron deck came out. :eek: They are definitely grass cutting machines to consider.

chuckers
06-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Demo demo Demo thats the only way you can tell what you are getting would you buy a car with out test driving it why would u buy a mower with out useing it first its just food for thought if you have any questions about grasshopper let me know thanks

Steve1
06-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by chuckers
if you have any questions about grasshopper let me know thanks

As a matter of fact, I do have a question or two about the Grasshoppers. From what I saw on my demos, the 227/61 Grasshopper gave an outstanding cut.

Do you have any complaints or have had any chronic problems with yours and what model(s) do you have or have you owned?

Would you go with air cooled or with the liquid cooled?

Thanks!

bayoulawn
06-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Id go with the Bad Boy and its 1/4" steel deck.

chuckers
06-23-2004, 05:47 PM
i have the 700 series stay away from 600 i know they maybe tempting. but they are a little bit underpowered. i have all kabota's liquid cooled 61" cuts hydro deck lifts also

chuckers
06-23-2004, 05:49 PM
i am talking about the outfront mowers... excellent cut but try to stay away from the briggs engine go with the kabota or the kawi kohler is great except for the 25 horse

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 06:27 PM
The new Toro's with Turbo Force Decks are worth serious consideration. I have a Z588E, 28hp EFI, 60'' deck 5.5'' deep, deck has adjustable flow baffle to fine tune jobs, suspension seat etc.

The machine cuts very clean and crisp and the mower is as beafy as.

dvmcmrhp52
06-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Hey tony,
What's the front bar for?
The one just above the front anti scalp rollers.............

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 07:03 PM
G'Day Dave,

This is the famous Z Stand.

Ya pull it out and bring it forward then slowly drive forward and the machine rides up on it like a jack. Very handy.

I haven't got any pics though, I'll get one for ya.

sawman65
06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
any one of the mowers you have listed are good mowers and at the prices you listed, if i had the money i would take a dozen of each. some of those mowers are at or around cost to the dealer

DLCS
06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
I just bought my 2nd 757 last week. I think they are great machines, I'm sure you will be very happy with Deere.

As far as the stamped versus welded goes the biggest reason comanies use welded(fabricated) is that in short term they are cheaper to build. The intial cost to make stamped decks is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for presses and tooling. Most don't realize that is you hit something with a stamped deck the impact shock is spread out over the whole unit but with welded decks the impact shock is put on just the welds. I hit a 4x4 treated fence post when i got my first 757 and all I did was snap the post off at the ground, no damage whatsoever to the 7 Iron deck.

J.Gordon
06-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Which one has the best dealer!
I donít own a 7-Iron deck but I do know a little about metal, either way if you broke the 7 gauge stamped or fabricated decks you would be able to weld them both. When you put bends or creases in metal it makes it stronger. But if you look at the Hustlers deck you wouldnít ever be worried about bending the front of it!
Jeff

akmattingly
06-25-2004, 11:09 AM
That's a good price on the Super Z. I absolutly love mine, It's the mower that the Misses likes too! Heck, let her mow it all!

P&J Lawncare
06-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Super z does the job for me

Burger
06-26-2004, 09:02 PM
FYI, the Kubota dealer had a John Deere manager out riding around on a Kubota ZT mower. Turns out he was related by marriage, letting the inlaws play on the Foreign equipment.
The 7-iron Deck from John Deere is well respected on this board from what i have seen. That is an impressive price for the 777, our dealer has it at 9500

Pecker
06-26-2004, 09:42 PM
I run 757 and am very impressed with it. THe deck is awesome and has never left a clump for me in normal (even dewy) mowing conditions. My first choice is with the Deere.