PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying a used bobcat ztr

QualityLawnCare4u
06-23-2004, 11:57 AM
I wanted to ask folks opinions on the bobcat that I know nothing about. I was fixing yo buy a new JD 737 but have had so much trouble with dealer have held off. I found a bobcat ES282(I think thats what the model was) for $2700. It belongs to one of our second biggest lawn services. The owner said he has not used it in over a year since buying 2 DC with 72 inch decks. It needs a solonoid switch and has one small oil leak that he agreed to get fixed. The mower run and cut good, has a 52 inch deck and 18 Briggs (I am not a Briggs fan) and has 340 hours on it. The one thing I really noticed was the sticks were extremely hard to push forward or reverse compared to my 717. Is this normal for the machine or could it be from setting up for s long? Im really thinking serious about this is 2700 is a WHOLE lot less money than 7 grand and I can over half payit off and rest in few months where the new737 will take me at least close to 2 years. Any comments greatly appreciated before I make a decision.

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

Steve1
06-23-2004, 12:27 PM
We have a bobcat dealer locally so I got to check out the machines out. First, the dealer's place was a pig-sty and that alone was enough to convince me to NOT buy from him.

But after looking at the machines, I wasn't impressed with them at all. They looked rather crude compared to some other units and the controls were definitely way too stiff. The bottom line was the cut - I did not care for how it cut at all (demo'd a Briggs unit but I don't remember the HP. It did have a 60" deck).

My advice would be to look for a better brand unit but the choice is certainly yours. Price is always a consideration but like the old saying goes, "You'll get what you pay for."

As far as the Deere goes, I don't think you'll find any better cutting machine. I love the JD units and our local dealer is outstanding in his customer support. But yes, it IS a lot of money ($7k).

But in five years it will still be worth much more than the bobcat.

Good luck.