PDA

View Full Version : Best Blade for Cutting Wet Grass?

DavidW03
06-23-2004, 03:50 PM
I have an Exmark 48" Lazer HP that is clumping grass bad. With all the rain we've had the clover and crabgrass is growing like crazy. Which is better, a low lift blade or a hi lift blade?

Thanks

geogunn
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't mow with that unit and I haven't tried all blades that are out there but I say high lift is better based on my experience.

my high lifts do everything I want. cut clean, disperse clippings far and wide.

of course, speed matters as well as other things.

good luck.

GEO

D Fricks
06-23-2004, 05:44 PM
I Have that same deck except 52'' use excaliber notched foil blades from your exmark dealer my experience with that deck is that it allways clogs up!

chuckers
06-23-2004, 05:47 PM
meg-mo i have a pair they are excellent

Avery
06-23-2004, 05:54 PM
A quality mulching blade like Gators or Atomics is all you need. My dealer was recently out of Atomics so I had to use high lifts for a week. What a POS they are. Needless to say I stocked up on Atomics when he got some in. Do not want to be w/o them again.

DavidW03
06-23-2004, 05:57 PM
My tired old Bunton running side by side with the Exmark hardly leaves any clogged grass. I talked with the dealer I bought it from and they kinda scratched their head and then they said the Exmark rep was there so I asked him and he wasn't sure which would work the best. When I told him the other LCO's around here don't seem to have the same problem, he suggested I go ask one of them what they use!!!
I'm beginning to wonder if that was the reason it only had 60 hours on it when I bought it from the dealer.

Fareway Lawncare
06-23-2004, 06:50 PM
No Gators in Wet...They Make Clumping Worse...

Double Notched eXcaliburs....The set on the Far Right!

John Gamba
06-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Do i have to say more.

Fareway Lawncare
06-23-2004, 06:54 PM
J.G. I've Run them Side By Each w/DBL N. eXcaliburs & the eX Blades Win!

the Megs are Great for Sucking Up Debris & Dry Turf!

John Gamba
06-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
J.G. I've Run them Side By Each w/DBL N. eXcaliburs & the eX Blades Win!

the Megs are Great for Sucking Up Debris & Dry Turf!

Not in are wet grass!!

kppurn
06-23-2004, 08:59 PM
I've never tried meg-mo blades, so I will say double high lifts.

I have been running them on my 60" Lazer all season. I tried single excalibur blades for two days last week and changed back to doubles. Much better clipping dispersal IMO.

tiedeman
06-23-2004, 10:06 PM
high lifts work the best for me. Watch out though in spraying houses and cars with the wet grass. Not fun to clean

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 10:24 PM
No joke there. A friend had me mow his yard for him as he and wife just had baby and he hadnt been able to get to it. Well my brother - lot younger got sent to the back to mow with the 36inch. Grass was tall and wet. Well dumbass mows starts mowing and just throwing grass left and right onto the fence and house. I get back there and about have a heart attack, man did I have some choice words for him. I got out a towl I had in the truck and proceed to ruin it using it and the hose to clean off the grass on the siding. I could have just killed him. He had been running the 36 for some time and knew how to use it like a pro, but he just had a major brainfart that day. I was so embarrased, but I got it all off and there was no permanent dammage thank god. I have to say that was the thickest wet lawn we ever cut. It wasnt really tall just thick and wet.