PDA

View Full Version : Z or Stander

samk
06-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Ive narrowed my new mower down to two but they are completelyl different.
A Wright stander or a Lesco Z both models are priced about the same bothe have 23 HP Kawis. My big drawback on the Stander is the fixed deck and the vac system available for it. My drawback on the Z is the Ive already had people ask what type of mower I use because they dont want big Zs on their property and it will be alittle cumbersome on a few smaller properties. I have been using a Toro Proline gear for 3 seasons so im looking forward to getting a new machine. Any pros or cons would be great help

MMLawn
06-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Personally I prefer the ZTR. But also when possible new accts ask me what kind of equipment we use I normally just tell them the name brand and then add all professional commercial equipment and doin't get into exact details.

Hrock
06-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by samk
My big drawback on the Stander is the fixed deck

but on the stander, the weels are so close to the deck that it doesnt matter that machine cuts great. what are you worried about, scalping?

Hrock
06-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by MMLawn
Personally I prefer the ZTR. But also when possible new accts ask me what kind of equipment we use I normally just tell them the name brand and then add all professional commercial equipment and doin't get into exact details.

Ive never had a costomer ask what kind of equip I use:confused:

samk
06-23-2004, 05:46 PM
yes scalping especially since its a 52 inch cut

Itsgottobegreen
06-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MMLawn
when possible new accts ask me what kind of equipment we use.
I only got asked that when I started out when I was 13.

I would go with a stander. I have two 52" 17 hp models. I hardly ever get any scalping. I can put it on small jobs(postage stamp properties) to large job (2-3 acres) with out a problem.

The stander is very light. Also very compact. You can get 3 52" standers w/grassgobblers on a 14' trailer, were you can barely get 2 ZTRs w/vacs.

Wright developed the grassgobbler turbo 10 because there was no room for a vac system. I have one. It will pack twice the grass as my regular jumbo grassgobblers. Plus its a whole lot cheaper than a Vac and has no moving parts to wear out.

MiracleMan
06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm in the middle of this debate myself. I love my Dane Surfer and can use it on most any yard we have. However, I have probably 4 yards presently that have 2-3 acre open areas that I might really actually ENJOY mowing with a rider. It's a hard decision. Also price, ... $7,000. for a ToroZ-200/52" and $4,500. for a Dane Surfer /52". One is a Kohler magnum, the Toro a Kohler Command Pro. Geeeezzzzz .... My heads hurtin' ...

txlawnking
06-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey Ray, Did you check out the one at Cypress? Just curious, I got mine set up right and gotta say, I love it!!

MiracleMan
06-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Hey Ray, Did you check out the one at Cypress? Just curious, I got mine set up right and gotta say, I love it!!

I took your word for it. It was a rainout today and you probably had it also. I went over to Top Line and looked at the Toro's in Humble. Had the wife and baby so it was a little much to drive over to Cypres also after lunch but going to either call or see them tomorrow for sure. I hate this buying thing. Until I actually settle for one or the other and do it, it just keeps my head spinning.
Is yours the Magnum or the Command Pro motor?
If it's the Command, then my choice could be alot easier. :blob3:

Hey, yours has the FLOATING deck right? Mine is a fixed deck with the wheel spacers on the yokes.
As you can tell, I have an oldie.:cry: