PDA

View Full Version : sulkies and divots: tearing up my lawn

seymour_glass
06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey everybody.
Ok, so i have a ferris 36" belt, my first real mower. I just got a fixed wheel sulky for it, and it's pretty awesome, because on those long stretches i can bust out at 5mph. And it's fun as hell too. But my problem is the turns: divots! As we all know, to avoid leaving divots, you can't flat out zero-turn by pivoting on one wheel, because that tears the grass up. Now everybody with a nice fancy hydro can just spin their wheels in the opposite direction to turn around, but us poor belt guys sometimes have to push and pull our mowers around a little bit. My problem is that it's kinda impossible to do that on a sulky, which is why i've not been using my new toy as much as i had hoped i would :( .
Anyone else have this problem? I 'd like a quick fix. My idea is to maybe just put some bigger tires on. Do you think that might work? Or am i just stuck having to turn a little bit wider from now on and lose the zero turning capability?
Thanks a bunch.

John Gamba
06-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Get a sulky thats not fixed

seymour_glass
06-23-2004, 06:55 PM
my little 12.5hp belt drive can't handle a caster wheel sulkly, or so i hear. those are really supposed to be for hydros anyway. thanks.

tiedeman
06-23-2004, 10:10 PM
I had a 13hp Kohler 32" belt that pulled me just fine on the sulky and I weight 235. Look into sulkies produced by Velke. You will not be disappointed

HacMan91
06-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Youre going to have to make at least 2 cuts around the perimeter. Then you can make your cuts. You cant make a true zero turn with a belt drive. I had the same problem with my metro. good luck

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I have a single wheeled velke. We would just go around the perimiter to mow where we turned. I dont use it though as I dont care for the wheele leaving lines down the middle of each pass. Im thinking about getting a a double wheeled sulky to alleviate this problem.

Lawn Dog2001
06-23-2004, 10:50 PM
If that Ferris is your first real mower, it sounds like you just might need some more practice. All I use right now is belt drive machines with fixed wheel jungle wheels. I am not having any problems. Make sure you slow down a bit going into turns. In wet conditions, at top speed, you might divot even with a Hydro.

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
. In wet conditions, at top speed, you might divot even with a Hydro.

For sure.

seymour_glass
06-24-2004, 03:24 PM
tiedeman - Is that a caster-wheeled, fixed sulky, or a single wheeled velke you have?

Hacman - Yup, double perimiter cuts all the way! and usually without the sulky. takes a little extra time, but it looks better and saves on the trimming.

lawndog - Oh yeah, do I need more practice! Luckily my own lawn is nice and big for that.

thanks everybdy! i guess i'm just gonna have to do my turns a bit wider. I thought maybe bigger wheels or something might help, but i guess not.

grassrootsinab
06-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I have the single wheeled velke too and it pulls me just fine. Deere 38" gear drive and I'm 225#....I agree that the third tire track doesn't look as good but if the customers don't mind, it sure beats walking. I also do a 3-point turn.

protouchlawn
06-24-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a Deere GS-30 with the single wheel Velke. I am about 240 and it pulls me fine.

brucec32
06-25-2004, 02:10 PM
The castering sulky you have means you're having to twist around a lot of weight with relatively small tires and a light machine. Get a trailering type.

MTR
06-25-2004, 02:45 PM
In my opinion, the Jungle wheels and the Velke x 2 are the best sulky in market. I have been cutting with jungle wheels for 2 years now, I have not had divots or things like that and the trailering type does great great job on hills. Castering is good but it is pain to turn in tight spot like AC area which makes divot and damage or hit side of house if you are not experienced, I think if you want zero turn crazy, why don't sit on a Z? just 2 cents
you 've got to use what you feel comfortable with most....don't u think?

seymour_glass
06-25-2004, 03:35 PM
thanks again guys. actually brucec, i've got a trailering type. I was just wondering if bigger tires or something might spread out the weight of the lawnmower a bit and cut back on divoting so i could zero turn more often. But it doesn't sound like that will help so i guess i'm just stuck making wider turns. Which is ok.

mtr, oh i AM zero turn crazy. Wanna buy me one? Unfortunately monetary issues take precedence over what i'm most comfortable with. But I'll tell you what, next time I win the lottery I'm going straight out to pick up a sexy little tiger cub. Or maybe a super mini z. Haven't decided yet.

Thanks everyone!

ince8728
06-25-2004, 10:27 PM
get one the can turn from side- side.......... not fixed!