PDA

View Full Version : Toro Z users what blades and set up do you use on your toro deck

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I run a toro Z100 mower with a 52inch sfs deck. I run single gators on it. They work well, but not as good as my notched excaliburs on my exmark. I want to run excaliburs on my toro, but the only thing I am worried about is the excalibur blades have a bigger bolt hole and I am afraid of the blades moving around. Other than that, I dont see any other reasons why the blades wont work, same lenght. Are there notched blades like the excalibur I can get for my toro if the excaliburs wont work? What do you toro uses use, and how well does your set up work for you.

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Try RAPTOR blades, great for mulching AND side discharging.

I'm now using them on my Z588E, truly amazing results with the adjustable baffle, but even on your SFS deck they should be impressive I would think.

Stens corporation sells them.

There is a recent thread about these, search for Raptor...

odin
06-23-2004, 06:59 PM
ooooo mystic one down in outer limits of Australia.....any onlineplaces to get those raptors

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Whats the bump in the blade for. They look just like my gators except that hump between the cutting edge and middle of the blade.

dvmcmrhp52
06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by barringtonbrothers
Whats the bump in the blade for. They look just like my gators except that hump between the cutting edge and middle of the blade.

Is this a sarcastic remark?
I have no patience for it.

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Yep, that raised cutting edge does the trick, you want stripes, get these!

The clippings are way smaller than highlifts too.

Stens sell them, their link is at the bottom of this page,

http://www.everythinggreen.com/egreen/category.asp?111

These are not like gators, only similarity is the fins....I have not used them in wet grass yet though, long and thick they work great....I'd open the baffle Odin in wet grass with these as they are like gators in the sense cut and recut, only these have a lot more lift and discharge abilities.

http://www.everythinggreen.com/egreen/category.asp?111

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I might just give those a try. let me know how they work in wet grass when you find out your self. Thanks again Tonyr.

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 08:28 PM
My results will be different to yours, over here I mainly cut bermuda lawns and acreage stuff, and at 2 to 2.5'', very different conditions here, so vacume etc at a higher setting like you guys have could be different.

Also I have a Turbo Force deck which will give different results to a SFS deck.

In wet grass I open the baffle and get a great result at my cutting height, if I close the baffle on wet grass the clippings are almost mulch and gets lots of little turf turds, they often break up in flight or on landing. But still better than high lifts and Atomics.

I paid $120 for 3 blades to try, well worth the money.

You guys pay less than $10 a blade don't yas?

At $30 you can't really go wrong, just buy a set, you are the only one who will know how good they are on your mower on your properties.

They work fantastic in dry and very good in wet, but they are a dry weather blade like all mulch blades, the finish on wet grass here is better than highlifts due to smaller clippings.

Not much more I can tell you really, search for the raptor thread and hopefully that can help you, John Gamba told me about them so read his comments, as he would cut at a similar height to you maybe you could ask him?

Let me know how they perform for you please...

PMLAWN
06-23-2004, 08:39 PM
$120 for a set of blades HOLY *^%%$# Batman.
Not being sarcastic but can you really make money down there. I've seen your post about what you payed for the 588 and now the blades--WOW . Overhead to kill a guy!

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Wow, 120 thats about double cost of what it takes to put new blades on my Z from the dealers around here.

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Yet, Wecome to Australia!

If we get a buck a minute we are doing well too!

Actually I doubt most do, only with this big Toro can I earn that, but the tool did cost so should reflect of earnings.

But the niche of ride on mowing here is ultra small though...thats the trade off.

$24000 for the mower, $3500 for my new trailer, $23000 for my last Toro I just traded, $20000 for my 1st mower, a 2nd hand Walker.

Overheads are high, very high....but where I am I work all year round, 9 busy months, 3 slow but steady months.

Competition....every man and his dog mows, or trys to here.

On this forum I get ripped when I comment about scrubs, and how competition effects us all in some way, both positively and negatively, and when guys say there is plenty for all etc, and I always wander why I feel this more than you guys....just compare our business expenses, I pay about twice for stuff, makes a huge difference to how we run our businesses and our awareness of others around us.

And when I do see grubs butchering ride on stuff with little domestic riders leaving runs of uncut grass etc, really destroying the image clients think of us, it rips me sorry, the theory of there is plenty isn't right here, every job matters, and when guys stuff up jobs it lowers peoples opinions of us, they think we are all losers who can't ride mowers properly. And when you own expensive equiptment and guarantee your work and el cheapo rough as guts doesn't, it effects the industry and how I look at competition.

No I'm not turning this into a scrub thread LOL!

It's like meg.mos for e.g, the price on their web site for you guys, I would pay at least double, and ocdc chutes, $400.

Got charged $120 to change the oil in my last mower just before I traded it, not including the oil!

Yeah, we have overheads but we know no other way, we just make it work, funny though, we don't contract our clients, lucky if they are even regulars, people love shopping around for mower guys, only cut when it is a jungle, every 2 weeks is the most regular, but it seems to work out in the end...

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Man it might be cheaper for you to just move to the US and set up shop here. The women will love you becaus you have a accent, and all the guys will call you croccodile dundee- mate lol. The customere would love you too because you would seem exotic because of your accent. I bet you would do really well. And if your family was from Ireland, well thats good because there be plunty of us Irish. I have a name for your company in the states - Exotic Tony's Lawn Care.

Tonyr
06-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Funny stuff!!

Isn't it kinda funny though that though we have different strong accents, you wouldn't know just by reading, accents don't show in type for some reason....or does it?

Our slang isn't as strong in the cities I don't think due to the amount of 'non' or 'new' Australians who struggle with English, but country Australia our accent and slang is strong, hasn't been bread out of us yet! LOL!

Dundee talks pretty close to real, Steve does too only over uses Crikey! That would be replaced with swearing in the real world.

I live right on the coast, perfect weather, views etc, I'm not gunna go anywhere, business is tough but I like it...keeps me outa trouble!

Australia is like a little America, just not as big or old, same issues though...

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 10:29 PM
I just knew when I started this post, good ol tonyr would be on here to share his wisdom. Y