PDA

View Full Version : put doubles on today.

RedWingsDet
06-23-2004, 09:07 PM
well i put doubles on today, and well, all i have to say is WOW! i couldnt belive how much they help, i wish i would have done this sooner. they cut up sooo fine and crisp, im not sure, but i bet it allows more grass to be put in the bag too because of its small size.

i just figured i would tell ya, i was sceptical about it before, but really glad i did! only thing is, i wont be using it this week, im demoing a gravely 144z tommarow :) gonna see how i like it and maybe buy a 144z or a 34z, im leaning towards the 34z sense i have a 48, but idk, if i can sell the 48 soon, then i'd get the 144z.

ejd
06-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Do I under stand that you put double blades on your mower?

I tried this once and had problems with keeping the blades from moving around.

RedWingsDet
06-23-2004, 10:34 PM
i used an impact wrench so they shouldnt be going anywhere

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
06-23-2004, 11:20 PM
dixie chopper does make a double blade spacer which keeps the blades in the x formation....as long as you dont hit anything big you should not have a problem at all....

EJD....the benifits for doubles are absultly incredable...if you were having problems keeping them inline then you must have been hitting things...i used them without the spacers for 3 years and they would move if you hit something and that was it.

i would tell everyone to atleast try doubles...ive been doing it for 4 years and i learned from the best cutter in the industy(EricELM) and he swore by them mand told me to try them and i did and havent ran singles since:)

RedWingsDet
06-23-2004, 11:24 PM
dumb question, but does it matter if their in X or + formation?

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I wish I had the luck some of you guys have had with doubles. They really make a diference on my 21inch, but every thing else it really doesnt change much to be noticable, except for mulching leaves.

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 11:30 PM
isnt a X a + on its side? i believe its a 90angle from where they meet.

RedWingsDet
06-23-2004, 11:31 PM
oh yeah, duh. sorry its a little late and i cant think. lol. thanks for reminding me. boy i feel dumb. ah well, a tad to tired i guess.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
06-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by barringtonbrothers
isnt a X a + on its side? i believe its a 90angle from where they meet.

correct......barringtonbrothers...what type of mowers have you tried them on and not been satisfied?

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 11:38 PM
I have them now on my 36inch wb. I have been running them for a month, but I really dont see a difference, except my mower and belts work harder. I tried them on my Z, but it has blade sadles so the bottom blade was around a inch from the top. I didnt like it cause it made it scalpe easier, and yes I took in account my blades being lower, but on the Z it really made no differnce. I havent tried it on the exmark as I am really pleased with its cut and it looks like scalping will be a issue there too. But on my toro proline 21inch it really works well with the mulch plug in.

Grass_Nerd
06-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by barringtonbrothers
I wish I had the luck some of you guys have had with doubles. They really make a diference on my 21inch, but every thing else it really doesnt change much to be noticable, except for mulching leaves.

Do you have a spacer on your 21?

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Nope, I just bolt the blade right to each other, and set the mower at its highest height setting.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
06-24-2004, 04:19 AM
I guess it depends on your "X", but usually the angles are not all 90 degrees (like 110 and 80). However when you run doubles you want 90 degrees, but if you dont get perfect 90's its not a big deal, cause the blades will be symmetrical anyway.