PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 240 Skid Steer parkning brake

JeffD
06-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Can anyone tell me how the parking brakes on a JD skid Steer work? Do they have 2 seperate systems? ie different solonoids for locking each side ?

The left side of my 240 locked right up. It freed it self for a little bit, and I was able to drive it for about 100ft, and then it locked up again on the same side. Now I can't get it to free itself.

Randy Scott
06-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the world of John Deere junk. If your solenoid problem ends up like mine did, which the machine locked up, wiped out the entire wiring harness along with the instrument panel, and $3500 and a month later was fixed, you'll probably need to start looking for a new machine now. Hopefully for your sake, it will be something simple. When ours locked up, both sides were tight.

Tigerotor77W
06-24-2004, 08:38 PM
(Randy doesn't like Deere skids.)

JeffD
06-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Well there is not a brand out there that does not have there share of problems. I need help with a problem, not opinions on what brand of machine is junk...

xcopterdoc
06-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Lift up the seat and roll cage. Look for a broken spring about 1 1/2 in long on the brake assy. If the spring is broken the brake will not disengage or disengege all the way.

Tigerotor77W
06-25-2004, 10:32 AM
JeffD --

I didn't mean to interprety Randy's message for you. He had a bad encounter with Deere once, hence his message. He wasn't trying to be funny or to be clever; he was just making an observation.
I know you're in a bind to get things right -- not being a serviveman myself, I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.
Randy -- sorry for starting that. Didn't mean to.

Xing

JeffD
06-25-2004, 11:44 AM
xcopterdoc, I'll take another look and see if i can find a broken spring. I have all the panels off of it, and can see that the hyd cylinders are both working when setting, and releasing the parking brake. The drive pump is working, but seams like the brake is stuck. I'll have to open up the chain case if I don't see any springs.

BobcatS250, I kinow you didn't mean anything by what you said. :cool:

JeffD
06-30-2004, 08:58 AM
WellI tore the skid loader apart... It split the brake rotor in half, along with the gear that drives it. I'd guess the gear split first, and then expanded the rotor until it broke. Hopefully the parts will not cost a fortune. At least it's not a hyd pump.