PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed it down of a few trimmers...

TROTTMAN
06-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I have been researching trimmers like mad over the past few weeks and I am down to a few options:

I really really like the Husqvarna 326L and 326LX trimmers. To me, they are the nicest ones available and extremely light and powerful. They are only 9.9 lbs or it may just be 9lbs. Either way, they are very light and wouldn't fatigue you at all. However, they are $300 and its hard to find it cheaper. (Northwestpowertools.com has them for cheap, but shipping is high). They are a little high.

I also like the Shindiawa T230 trimmers, they are a little heavier (but also seem heavier duty), but they are only $260ish. I would get that new 4 cycle one, but its $300+ and much heavier than the Husqv.

I also like the Redmax trimmers. They seem the heaviest duty out of the mix, but have a wierd shield on them and are a little high. I have had trouble finding a good deal on them online too. They have a composite shaft model that is really powerful and light, but I bet it will be too expensive.

I kinda ruled out any Echos, I don't really like the one I have and the new ones are the same and have the worst shield design I have ever seen. They are also really heavy for today standards.

Maruyama makes some decent trimmers, but none of their trimmers stand out to me and I can't find an online deal on it either.

My last option, is to wait for my Echo to get out of the shop, it is supposed to be getting the ignition replaced for free (lifetime warrenty of shaft and ignition). However, its about 4 years old and may not last too much longer no matter what.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post. Hopefully you guys can show me where I can get a good deal on some of these options and give some good advice about them.

gunner27
06-23-2004, 11:32 PM
I can give you real would experiences on the shindaiwawa. awesome. the best. I have had a t230 and a t 27. both are kick a$$

all degree
06-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Why no stihl?? Lots of people on the site love the FS85 and the 110. Lots of power

TROTTMAN
06-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Well I guess Stihl is an option. Don't seem on the level with some of the others. I am using one now while my Echo is in the shop. It isn't that great at all. LOUD too. But it is used and several years old. I guess it held up well. They have 1.27hp and I don't really need that much power, I don't mind the power, but the thing weighs a little more than other brands. My dealer is about 10 miles south of here as well.

Westbrooklawn
06-24-2004, 09:05 AM
I have owned echo, stihl, shindaiwa, and now husqvarna. For power, performance, and weight I would go with the Husky. The 323 is a little lighter than the 326 and is fine for everyday use. Either will be fine and the light weight of both really pays off as the day goes on.

twwlawn
06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
I have Stihl and Echo, been using these trimmers for years with no problems. Back in April I bought a Husky 326LDx along with the stick edger attachment. I like the weight and power. Have had no problems yet.

chuckers
06-24-2004, 09:41 AM
my dealer is running a hell of a deal on shinys t230 for 219 i think i might get 1 or 2

j.p.landscaping
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
TROTT,
You must keep in mind who and where your dealer is for whatever model you choose on. Ask yourself these questions?
1. Is my dealer close by just in case I need him quick?
2. Can he get my parts fast?
3. Does he provide service within a reasonable amount of time and at what rate of cost?
4. Is he an a$$hole or will he be treating me good and take care of me when I need him?

Me personally, I got lucky. I am a die hard scag and shindiawa fan and I have 1 dealer for both lines which treats me awesome and always hooks me up when it comes to parts, prices and service.

With that said heres my 2cents...

I feel that echo trimmers are poorly balanced, Redmax is getting cheaper with there parts lately (meaning there new stuff is being made poorly) and although I never used one personally, I feel husky should just stick to what there known for and that's chainsaws.

I have used nothing but shindiawa for the past 10 years and the only complaint I can say about them is once they get a few years of hard work under there belt you need to change the plug and ****** out the carb really good or they get hard to start (but they still will). Basically I'm saying don't beat the sh** out of them and not keep them tuned up. You'll be very happy with their performance!!!

Hope this helps...
Jay

sildoc
06-24-2004, 12:21 PM
After trying red max, stihl, shindy, Husqvarna, and honda, I bought the Husky 326 Lx. More power than you need and at a lower rpm, big weight differance, and the ability to use a blade if needed. Price for me was 305.00 out the door and was the best money spent. good luck.

TROTTMAN
06-24-2004, 01:05 PM
So it sounds like most of you like the 326L and 326LX models. At first I worried about their quality, but after researching it out it looks like they may be the best trimmer available for my needs.

For those who have oned this trimmer: I borrowed my friends 323L a few weeks ago for several days and loved it. However, there was a vibration coming from the lower end coming up through the shaft. It was not a big deal, and most of them may not do that. My Echo doesn't do that, so I know its not like every trimmer does that. I only noticed it when edging. Any of you have this same problem? Thanks.

TROTTMAN
06-24-2004, 01:36 PM
twwlawn,

How much more is it to get the 326LDx over the other types? How well does the stick edger work? I could use that on my clean up yards that get overgrown.

How well does the stick attachment work? Does it get through the really thick stuff?

Does the trimmer attachment still use a solid steel shaft?

cincymower
06-24-2004, 10:20 PM
I love my 323. It is really light and there is no vibration that is noticable to me in the year plus I've owned it. I rarely run it wide open, it's got tons of power. I'm not sure if a blade attachment is available for it though.

crawdad
06-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Buy a Stihl, and be done with all this shopping around. Hey, it might cost ya 20 bucks more. But hey, it might last for a whole bunch of years.
I just sold my old pickup truck, which I bought a year after I got my Stihl chain saw. (Truck was brand new when I bought it, a 1986.) The new owner blew up the truck, the saw's still running fine.
Crawdad

General Grounds
06-24-2004, 10:48 PM
:blob3: redmaxe strato 225, great machine very easy to start. $249.00 out the door

mkwl
06-24-2004, 11:10 PM
I just bought a new Red Max BCZ2600S trimmer a few months ago and I love it!!! It has a lot of power and torque!!! I got mine at my local dealer for $300. It is definitely worth the money!!! Definitely get a Red Max!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunner27
06-25-2004, 12:33 AM
I would look more at dealer support. Try to buy your mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc. from the same place. It has been my experience that the dealer will take care of you with service, and will be more inclined to give you a better price break. Not always the case, but something to consider.

the weed man
06-25-2004, 01:43 AM
im in need of a 2nd trimmer i think im going to be going with a Shindiawa this time.im leaning towards the t260.i have a husky but only the 123 not the 323.it still has pretty good power and isnt bad ide get another but i want to get all my equipment from a certain dealer.

TROTTMAN
06-25-2004, 02:46 AM
Hey General Grounds,

Where can I buy that strato 225 online? I didn't know they made a strato-charged 225 model. I prefer to buy online since my dealer wants $279 for that exact model.