PDA

View Full Version : Ever take a hit?

alpine692003
06-23-2004, 11:25 PM
You guys ever take a loss from a job?

I experienced my 1st job loss in the last 2 days.

I bid a job $400 to trim some hedges, lawn service and to take down 2 trees that were like 15ft high inc. disposal and cleanup

I'd thought we finished this job in 1 day but its dragging on to 3 days now...

I practically broke even or didnt make nothing, this is my 1st job loss! :(

:( :( :(

Green Pastures
06-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Is the Pope Catholic?

crawdad
06-23-2004, 11:29 PM
It happens to everyone. You say, WE, so am I to assume you have a helper? He likely made more on the job than you did.
You'll make it up on another job.
Crawdad

Randy Scott
06-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
You guys ever take a loss from a job?

Nope, nada, never happened, wouldn't allow it, couldn't happen to me, doubt it, no way, not possible, why?, are you an idiot? :D

RedWingsDet
06-23-2004, 11:45 PM
happened to me on one job. sense then i charge ALOT more then i did that job. i always make sure for big jobs that i charge enough to make sure i still make out good if it takes longer then expected. but ya, try to make this the first and last time it happened

barringtonbrothers
06-23-2004, 11:47 PM
No I havent ever taken a hit - I dont do drugs, hippie. lol

Trevors Lawn Care
06-24-2004, 12:38 AM
hehe...ya.
you live and you learn. Spring clean-ups suck

trevor

Kelly's Landscaping
06-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Wait till you get employees with less talent then you and you find your self so buisy you need to trust them on smaller jobs while you do large ones. Your find jobs you can not lose money on can still go bad in the wrong hands.

EagleLandscape
06-24-2004, 12:43 AM
I learned pretty hard on one of my first cleanups last fall. I bid like 125 bucks, only to find out the leaves were completely soaking wet underneath, what i thought would be a 2 hour job turned out to be about 5.5 hours. good thing it was only labor, and not material cost though.

barringtonbrothers
06-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Yeah I used to bid cleanups. I quit doing that about 3 years ago, now I tell them for clean ups we charge 30 bucks a man hr, and do it till its done. If they dont like it, they can find some one else. Havent had any problems yet. If I think we should have gotten it done quicker, or had machine problems, I will knock some off the bill. I bill for solid hr work, not hr with half hour Im fiddling with my machine.

NNJLandman
06-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Yea once every once n a while I might underestimate a job, and i'm like oh s***! But down the road somewhere I make up for it by over estimating or finishing a job a lot quicker, as time as goes on you will notice you get the habit of pricing jobs on right on the ball.

Jeff

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
06-24-2004, 12:47 AM
i think everyone here can answer yes to this question...expecially if you work in a competetive market where you have to bid against other contractors that are way underbidding all your prices..

i find the best thing to do is bend over and.....anyways thats a fact of life when you start a business and dont have a pricing structure set in stone.....there are so many variables that effect the outcome of a job that you just have to live a learn.

Doster's L & L
06-24-2004, 02:04 AM
the only time i take a hit is when it takes me alot longer to do a job than i tell them. If it takes more material than i had expected, then i charge for the extra material needed. It's called a contingency. It'll save your rear every time!!! Like i said though, i only use it for materials (mulch, edging strips, plants, etc) not time.

alpine692003
06-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Ya ... Its okay, I told him that some extra work could be done will be $100 so it's $500..

I'm making $50 for 3 days work on this job, yippy :) My employee made $80 a day . 8hrs work . 3 days.. $240 for friday..

Ya, no materials involved... just labor!

This is my 1st and now I know what's involved... I was upset, but what can you do???

Rather Be Fishing
06-24-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by alpine692003
This is my 1st and now I know what's involved... I was upset, but what can you do???

Just live and learn. I've been in lawncare most of my adult life and still screw up, as long as you don't have this problem consistantly you'll be fine. One thing I had a problem with when I first started out was explaining the loss on my end to the client. (I wanted to live up to my word, regardless of how bad I screwed up)

Nothing wrong with explaining your situation to the client. I wouldn't demand money they weren't expecting to spend but your honesty and "taking the hit" may be the beginning of an excellent long term relationship as long as the customer isn't one who constantly searches out the lowest bid. If your quality is there they'll know it's going to cost more next time but they've seen your work and were satisfied this time. Yeah, there are some sorry-azz customers out there, always have been, always will be. Quality work and customer satisfaction seem to go a long way towards repeat business.

hoyboy
06-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Ever hear the quote "I'm only losing a few bucks per hour, but i'm making up for it in volume!"

alpine692003
06-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Ya .. I guess so !

geogunn
06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
yeah, I have took a hit before.

when I started years ago, took a job clearing some hedge--75 bucks.

hour later, 16 stitches in my shin from the brush axe and a $100 ER bill lighter, I wasn't feeling too good about my new occupation.

GEO :(

alpine692003
06-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm feeling a bit better.. finished a few jobs earlier then I expected..

BareFootLawn
06-24-2004, 08:28 PM
I won't "estimate" over the phone. It's only gotten me in trouble.
If you want an estimate, I'll be out to look at it!
Said I would do a backyard "unseen" for 25 bucks. She said it was too high for here electric to cut. I took it, it was the thickest, wet 3ft high grass I've ever seen. Was there for 2 hours! Lucky it was only a small job.

Lawn Dog2001
06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Yeah I took a hit before. A big enough hit that it changed the way I bill all of my accounts.

A big enough hit that I cant even bring myself to mention how much.

It was 5 years ago, and I almost got out of the business over it. I have only been screwed by a customer once. But it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.

Norm Al
06-24-2004, 09:57 PM
does a bear pee in the woods?

hole in one lco
06-24-2004, 11:01 PM
If you lose money on a job its because you didn't know any better.
To many people try to start a lawncare comp before they do there homework.

crawdad
06-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
Yeah I took a hit before. A big enough hit that it changed the way I bill all of my accounts.

A big enough hit that I cant even bring myself to mention how much.

It was 5 years ago, and I almost got out of the business over it. I have only been screwed by a customer once. But it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.
Come on, you're teasing us...

Lawn Dog2001
06-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by crawdad
Come on, you're teasing us...

Honestly, It was bad enough that I really dont even want to discuss it in a public forum. If you really want to know about it PM me.

Rather Be Fishing
06-25-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by hole in one lco
If you lose money on a job its because you didn't know any better.
To many people try to start a lawncare comp before they do there homework.

No offense but what exactly is a "lawncare comp" ? So you've never "taken a hit"?

Congratulations, you must be an xpert. (sp. intentional)

crawdad
06-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
Honestly, It was bad enough that I really dont even want to discuss it in a public forum. If you really want to know about it PM me. Never mind, that's OK

hole in one lco
06-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rather Be Fishing
No offense but what exactly is a "lawncare comp" ? So you've never "taken a hit"?

Congratulations, you must be an xpert. (sp. intentional)

no iv never lost money on a job .........

I worked for a mom and pop company. to see what not to do
Then worked for a large company to see what to do
recorded all my time on jobs so i could bid accordingly ones i started my own. That what we all should do.