PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone rebuilt a motor for ZTR or Walk behind?

Stampede
06-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Just curious on how hard, and how expensive is was?
Thanks Stampede.

o-so-n-so
06-23-2004, 11:02 PM
The rebuild is not hard at all. Alot of tech stuff you need to know to do it right.

All motors are basically the same with the exception of air and water cooled. And they too work on the same principals.

Special tools will be needed or you might have that part done by a machine shop.

If you have never been inside a motor, I suggest you get help from someone who can show you how and keep everything right or you will be throwing away your $$$$.
Might even go get a junker and tear down the motor to get familiar with things.

Yes....I have rebuilt air cooled engines.

chuckers
06-23-2004, 11:58 PM
yes i do it for extra money

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Small engines USUALLY require special tooling to be machined properly. And nowadays Small engine shops with the experience and tools to properly rebuild an engine are scarce. Sometimes, depending on how much wear/ damage the engine has, you'd be cheaper to repower or short block it anyway.

Stampede
06-24-2004, 05:19 PM
What kind of special tools are required and can anyone give me a around about price for a rebuild kit?
Thanks Stampede.

Itsgottobegreen
06-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Well I worked at a small engine shop for 1.5 hours every day after school for 2 years. I had to kill time until my mom got off work to get a ride home. Then cut grass until dark. I learned a lot from it. So I know what it takes to rebuilt an engine. Not a real easy task. A short block is a easy way to go. A new engine even easier. But if you're like myself, a person who will save anything from going to scrap. I rebuild.

You will need a valve spring compressor, lapping tools and compound, valve grinder, valve cutter, micrometers, calipers, T-calipers, ring compressor, ring expander, engine hone, flywheel holder, gear puller, gasket scraper, gasket maker, pull start wench, a friend with a machine shop, etc.

Plus a complete set of ratchets, wenches, flash light, mirror, air tools, screw drivers, misc other tools, some good music, a few beers(root beer for me, not 21 yet) and you should be ready to go.

You have to give us a engine make, model and serial in order to get a price on a rebuild, short block or replacement.

txlawnking
06-24-2004, 09:40 PM
That's just the beginning too, I meant special fixturing and tooling to properly machine small engines and like I said that kind of gear isn't very common. If your determined to do it your self You might try to find a machine shop that does machine work on motorcycles, they may have the right tools for the job. I could go on a lOOOOOng rabbit trail here so pm me if you just gotta know more.